MPC2000XL or New P4 3GHZ PC? HELP PLEASE!

Double8

ill o.g.
Hardware or New P4 3GHZ PC? HELP PLEASE!

Ok... i'm in a lil' tight situation. I wan't a MPC2000XL but gotta break the $ for it.... or I could buy a $700 3ghz pc w/ 160gb hd and 1gb ram. On te PC i'll have FL Studio 6 of course. Now... I have problems with FL Studio. I've made a few good beats here and there. I had it for almost three years now and still cant get a 100% hang of the VSTs. I'm pretty good with drums on FL. I've tried buyin a midi for VSTs controller... but I made a mistake on buyin it lol... it wasnt weighted keys but I could always get another one. Anyway, I dont like having a big ass screen while makin beats. I get distracted like a mofo. Plus, I have to click soo muchhh on the VSTs to get my sound. Dont get me wrong the quality of the VSTs are good but sometimes I just need that sound u kno. Anyway, I was also thinking of gettin a MPC2000XL and a keyboard synth so I can touch the knobs and everythin. I guess I want the "physicalness" while makin a beat, not mousing around. I could get a MPD for the PC but still I wont be able to touch the knobs and it wont have MPC features that I like. I'm thinkin my workflow will be faster with hardware but im afraid to pay all that money when I have an emulation of all the expensive hardware right in my FL Studio. [Right now I have a 1.8Ghz AMD 2200XP+with 256MB and 80GB HD] Any suggestions?

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^ obsolete..lol

i would go with the mpc. If you think are serious about making beats, then do that. if you arent sure, then get the computer, because you can use it even if you quit or something.

your going to have to spend a lot more than 700 to get the mpc and worthwile hard synth though. dont settle for a cheap alternative when buying hardware. save moeny untill you have enough for what you really want, not some m-audio imitation.

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
ColossusBeatfix said:
^ obsolete..lol

i would go with the mpc. If you think are serious about making beats, then do that. if you arent sure, then get the computer, because you can use it even if you quit or something.

your going to have to spend a lot more than 700 to get the mpc and worthwile hard synth though. dont settle for a cheap alternative when buying hardware. save moeny untill you have enough for what you really want, not some m-audio imitation.

75% of us use an MPC which is good im rockin a 1k i would like a 2000xl tho lol that classic feel

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
get an "mp" my brotha and build around that. keep in mind though, it's all on what you're comfortable with...

Double8

ill o.g.
i was thinkin mpc also.. ill stick to choppin on my computer with acid tho if i get the mpc1000. i got a question tho.,, if i get a synth keyboard n hook it up to midi on any mpc n make a bassline, will i be able to make effects and the melody with that same synth?

TheDeen

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i was thinkin mpc also.. ill stick to choppin on my computer with acid tho if i get the mpc1000. i got a question tho.,, if i get a synth keyboard n hook it up to midi on any mpc n make a bassline, will i be able to make effects and the melody with that same synth?

Yes, you will. A lot of producers do that.

C

Charles P

yeah buy the mpc, a new one can work like 10 years ...and more

ill o.g.
J Rilla said:
MPC.....that comp will be obslete(spelling) in 2 years
Relative to other, newer computers out in 2 years, sure...but if you think about it, if that computer's well maintained and taken care of, it will--like the MPC--at the very least provide the same level of performance you initially paid for. There really isn't a need to jump onto the next most advanced hardware and software the moment they're released if your current setup is suiting your needs. If you are worried about falling behind, on a computer you can upgrade your hardware and software. If you like knobs you might be interested in an MPD24, Trigger Finger, or that new Korg controller that's out.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love to own and use an MPC someday. It's one of my goals, and I think for someone that's serious about making beats, hardware's the way to go. But let's not shortchange the benefits of computers...

With that being said, go for what feels best for you. You expressed that you're sick of clicking around, so the hardware route's probably better.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
deStructuralize said:
Relative to other, newer computers out in 2 years, sure...but if you think about it, if that computer's well maintained and taken care of, it will--like the MPC--at the very least provide the same level of performance you initially paid for. There really isn't a need to jump onto the next most advanced hardware and software the moment they're released if your current setup is suiting your needs. If you are worried about falling behind, on a computer you can upgrade your hardware and software. If you like knobs you might be interested in an MPD24, Trigger Finger, or that new Korg controller that's out.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love to own and use an MPC someday. It's one of my goals, and I think for someone that's serious about making beats, hardware's the way to go. But let's not shortchange the benefits of computers...

With that being said, go for what feels best for you. You expressed that you're sick of clicking around, so the hardware route's probably better.
I might of took it to far with saying it will be obsolete in 2 years,but MPC 2kXl has been around for over a decade and is still is as great as a tool as the day it was made...show me a comp that does that without updateing any parts on it...ur last point does sum it up though for Double 8

Double8

ill o.g.
ya i hate clickin tru synths findin the right sound and fuckin with the clickable knobs... but if i do get a mpd24 ill have to set all the knobs on the screen and i cant do that lol...

can anyone recommend me a GOOD kb synth that they have or had? like somethin good thats worth the price

ill o.g.
J Rilla said:
I might of took it to far with saying it will be obsolete in 2 years,but MPC 2kXl has been around for over a decade and is still is as great as a tool as the day it was made...show me a comp that does that without updateing any parts on it
Word, I agree with you there. In that sense the MPC is a better buy because it's proven its quality and desirability with age. A computer could potentially , I think, provide something similar in that if a person is completely satisfied with the current setup & features on their computer they'll find no need to upgrade hardware or software even as new products continue to come out. It comes down to a matter of personal preference, though I'll admit that most times the MPC will fit that preference better than a computer due to quality, features, etc.

MPCaddict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
well it depends

Over the last year or two, I found that a combination of both (hardware and software) is perfect for me.

I have an MPC1000, SP404, Stanton Turntable and a midi controller (hardware). I also use Propellerheads Reason 3.0 (software) as my main sound module. That's my arsenal right there.

I'm pretty happy with my setup and have made some great tracks with it. At the end of the day, it's all up to you because you're the one who's spending all that money to get something that suits you. However I would strongly recommend you to do research on whatever you're planning to buy tho.