Maschine Mk1 Controller Help!!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I have the MK1 and love it. The MK2 looks good, I know it has a big jog wheel, but it's not a huge upgrade from the MK1. You can't find the MK1 new anyway, but the MK2 yes.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
mkII has better pads, less issues and a more stable build. but the control knob was no improvement to the mk1's dedicated encoders imo.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
mkII has better pads, less issues and a more stable build. but the control knob was no improvement to the mk1's dedicated encoders imo.

thats interesting...why is that?

I have ran it on both windows and mac, but I am now largely on a windows rig.

and youve never have the same problem i have? hmm whats the specs on your windows if you dont mind me asking?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
If I could get the MK2 I would, but since the MK1 does what I need it to do, I'm happy. Studio would be nice but that's way beyond my budget!

Bugsy

ILLIEN
i acutally think that the studio is an overkill, just by looking at it...no style at all, they just threw everything on there without even thinking. i dont know the difference about the workflow but i would guess that it would still be 80% the same with the mk1 or prabably mk2

(dont mind me, still have the hangover of troubleshooting all night..) :(

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
yea i'm with you Bugsy, I think studio is overkill! But some people seem to like it.

Well first off, I worked at Sweetwater and helped Launch Maschine MK1 so I was there though the first few updates where strange things would go wrong. That's why I say I have seen LOTS of strange issues without the updates. Now you asked about my rig(s) when I first got Maschine MK1 (I got one free from NI for being involved in launching) I was running a PowerMac G5, and it ran really well. But that computer was getting dated fast, and I replaced it with a nice Dell and thats what I am still using but now that Dell is getting dated so I am planning a new rig probably within the next 6 months. I try and do a major upgrade very five years. The specs on my current rig that I run Maschine 2.1 on

Windows 8.1 64bit
Core 2 Quad 2.4 Q6600 CPU
8GB Ram
dual 600GB hard drives, one for OS and one for samples libraries/projects

So as you can see that is getting dated. I believe it is going to be replaced with an modern i7 and 32gb of ram with 3 3tb hard drives, but I am still planning that out. And decided if I get a Macbook pro or Windows box or whatever. (whole different discussion) Now my laptop is a Macbook with 2gb ram and it runs Maschine OK but not amazing.

Personally I try to be very minimal with gear, so I have stripped down my studio to just the basics, but I find sometimes I just need to do something a bit different to get the creative juices flowing again. And I am getting LOTS of scoring to video projects so the tools I need changed a bit. But Maschine is the ultimate creative tool, its so fast and fluid to get ideas down. I just love using it. Then once I have a cool track built I export it to Reason, or Ableton or Sonar, whatever and keep building the structure. Hope that helps.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Windows 8.1 64bit
Core 2 Quad 2.4 Q6600 CPU
8GB Ram
dual 600GB hard drives, one for OS and one for samples libraries/projects

So as you can see that is getting dated. I believe it is going to be replaced with an modern i7 and 32gb of ram with 3 3tb hard drives, but I am still planning that out..

wow, waaayyy better than what i have, haha i just really need a good laptop to run something, doesnt matter whats on it, since im just starting out..

Now my laptop is a Macbook with 2gb ram and it runs Maschine OK but not amazing..

how come? just really curios. cause i was saving up for one to replace my windows,

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
oh, just because its an older laptop. It probably needs replaced soon as well. I personally prefer Mac OSX over Windows, but I really can take advantage of the hardware flexibility you get with Windows. If you are getting a modern Mac laptop it will run Maschine great. My needs are just very different that most other. Especially since I do lots other things than hip-hop production like ADR, Scoring to video, tracking live bands ETC. You get the tools for your needs right... But if budget was no option and I could build my dream rig it would be a mac no question, but since thats not the case ha ha.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
thats interesting...why is that?

because you need two steps for what previously was achieved with just one (adjusting volume, tempo and swing parameters). the swing encoder was also great for nudging events in step mode. now the new control knob uses increments, which ties moving around events to the knobs detents.