Making beats in different time signatures !

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
I woz just making a beat then and i recorded a sample i wanted to use and then when i played it back i realised it woz in 3/4 timing i could have chopped it to 4/4 but i thought id just make the beat in 3/4 too see wot it woz like !
Does anyone else use different time sig's and does this make the beat harder for a rapper etc ?!

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
3/4 is harder to rap to imo.......but its something that u can get better at - ludacris did it best to me - on cee lo's album

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Word!----Mark, i was actually gonna start a similar thread a while ago but forgot as usual...lol....Yeah man, 3/4 is cool sometimes....I really gage it by the sample and how it wants to fit....If it feels more natural in a different meter then i jus leave it in that new meter. If a cat has problems rapping to it then he needs to practice more IMO......U gotta be able to do more than jus the 'traditional format all the time to expand and grow'..............Sometimes a different time signiture can be really dope and change the entire feel of the track.

dj ShorTbuS

Cold Get Retarded
ill o.g.
if im not mistaken the dilated song "When Worst Comes To Worst" was done in the 3/4 time sig withe that William Bell loop.

Z

ztrax

3/4

3/4 is cool. It is harder to rap to, but it makes the beat sound new and different...

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
The whole World by Outkast is in 3/4... very ill

and "Pump it up" is in a very wierd signature... its not 5/4 or 5/8, cuz each bars are in 4/4, but it's the bars that come in groups of 5... very dope track

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
Brooklyn's Finest off of Reasonable Doubt was in a similar time signature to pump it up. I think the way those track were created is dope, I wonder why more people don't use it.

-Roy

Deca

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Royal said:
Brooklyn's Finest off of Reasonable Doubt was in a similar time signature to pump it up. I think the way those track were created is dope, I wonder why more people don't use it.

-Roy

mostly its because people dont know how to change to 3/4 or are afraid of having to change the production style. if it aint broke, dont fix... i say if it aint broke, its because it hasnt been used ENOUGH :eek:P

lets start abusing of this technik

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I think that changing the time signature can be a challenging thing for any rapper that is used to the normal 4/4 way of doing things. But; in this time and age you have to be a little more diverse in your beat creations and style in order to stand out from tha' crowd. If you feel it than do it!!! Beats are what move your feet and nod your head and any talented MC can adjust to changes.
ONE

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
an easy trick I did in Reason, make a rex and copy the score ...flip the measurement to 4/5th and paste back again...render the loop and fix it under a score in 4/4th ( might even want to pitch the 5/4th score a bit up when downsampling )... various things to look out for...leave the snares out and place over the loop in 4/4th modus, in general works great with percussive breaks and brings groove... other option is when placing back the 5/4th loop back in 4/4th to add HP filter to it and remove a bit of the low frequencies ( kicks lose depth but add accent to a break depending on the score you wrote ). With HP over it and a somewhat less dominating snare in the loop you should add a simple 2 step break with massive compression...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
you can get a bouncy feeling using 3/4...all it means there are 3 beats in the measure.....you would be surprised at how music that is out that doesn't use a straight 4/4.....listen to a lot of the dirty south bounce music.....a lot of shuffle sounding soul drum rhythm use 3/4.....high hat triplets work good in 3/4 patterns.....I use all kinds of time signatures for breakdowns......here is also something else I will pass on.....make your pattern in 4/4....then copy it to another pattern......change the time signature of that pattern to something like 1/8 or 1/16....copy and paste that about 4 X.....you got yourself the backbone of a breakdown......

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
I HATE 3/4, i had a great sample with 3/4 and it just doesn't feel right making a song that way. Cuz emcee use 16 bars for verse and 4 bar twice for chorus so it doesn't fit perfectly.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Waynyce said:
Outkast the whole world ummm that was'nt 3/4.

Yes it is, if you listen to the beat, you'll see that, when the hihat hits three times, you'll hear a kick or a snare... that is normally a dead give away.

when you can chop the beat with the hihat with each 3 hits of the hihat...