Mac vs.PC?

T

ThE cRicKet

they both have pro's and cons and they are both good. a mac is better then a pc you would by already built in the store ex: hp or whatever..these pc's are built for the consumer dvd..lol...all these perks are things we dont need..now a mac has been a leader in the multimedia industry ex: pixar films..reason is they are built with parts that are all compatible unlike pc that have part s from all over..now if you have somebody build you a custom pc..now I know what your thinking but these custom guys dont understand multimedia they think its all cpu..it aint. if you build a pc with huge buss speed and no matter what the circumstances raid or scsi hard drive 15,000 rpm at least 2 gig 500 meg is plenty this computer would blow doors down but guess what this computer will be well over the cost of a store bought mac..but also faster and more stable so as a person you can weigh in where you want. but if its cost verses speed then mac all the way but if money aint the issue then a super pc would kill all

p.s..just an educated opinion

D

darkmatter

When it comes to stability on the PC it has a lot to do with what OS you run. If you are not running an NT based OS (2000 or XP) then basically you are a fool how deserves to lose his work! In addition, to maintain best performance take care of your system! Defrag hard drives regularly and don't pile on tons of crap you don't need. Some of the setups I've seen remind of those boy-racers who just stick on tons of plastic body kits with blu-tac! General Rule: Keep it simple...
Peace.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by dnt
So if I run linux I'm a fool?

Linux is stable. But if you get it planning on making music with it then yes you are a fool. There is no good music software for that OS.

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I know that, I was just questioning the "If you are not running an NT based OS (2000 or XP) then basically you are a fool how deserves to lose his work". I defenitly would not go with linux to make music. I would not go with a pc anyhow but that's a preference.

But there is some good synth and/or programmable sound thingy for linux. And there is the final scratch mixing software...

C

Cosmonaut

Aight here's the deal Mac's have one thing as far as production goes that Pc's don't. What's that one thing you ask? Logic Audio 6 other than that theres not that huge of a difference. The deal is you can pick up a Athlon Xp 2800, and all the crap to go with it minus the flat panel display for around $700. Snatch up a good sound card I'm partial to the Echo line of cards another $500. There's cheaper stuff but buy the best you can afford. I run Logic audio 5.5.1 good enough in my opinion. It's about making the music not about who's system is better. In the end though for the same price you pay for just the Mac G4 you have a Pc and enough stuff to bang out some tracks. Me personally I don't mind Mac's alot of cats buy them but, because you have a mac it's not gonna make your production any better period. Besides last time I checked the G4 dual processors were almost $2000. Don't forget after you buy the system you still need a sequencer, sound card, midi port, and a midicontroller. Not to mention a good wav editor or aiff editor if you go mac.

As far as performance goes I can run 25 tracks of audio, 3 to 5 software instruments while recording vocals with effects running including reverb and whatever else the track may call for. Mac's are supposedly more stable but if you setup your pc to make music and nothing else you won't have any problems with it. In the end it real doesn't matter what you buy if you want pay more money buy a Mac if you want to pay less get a PC. I suggest you try some different sequencer packages find one you like and buy a system that runs it period.

M

Mcrob

Exactly. I'll admit I almost bought a mac until I found out that the music production is no diffrerent than each of the computers. Honestly it's personal perference, no other.

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
you pay a helluva lot more and get a helluva lot less when buying a Mac..i bought one...then returned it.

M

Mcrob

I understand that but the reason is because a lot of engineers or producers think that the mac is more stable and maybe they grew up using them. If they tried using a pc to do the same exact work to get it professionally mixed in a studio for example you can obviously get the same results.

Knock Out

Rap's Genious
ill o.g.
Mac's are MADE for media... they're the best thing you can possibly use for audio/video stuff. I take a graphics class at BOCES in my school district, and we took field trips to different technical institutes, and EVERY school was running thier programs off of Mac's. (Obviously for a reason.) Mac's are a lot quicker to the response than windows, and thier performance is better too. You should check your sources again... *I'm not saying there is NO better computer made, but like I said, Mac's are like revolved around music/video/audio making.

M

Mcrob

So basically your saying that the only reason why people use mac is because it's faster.

Ok

C

Copenhagen

Originally posted by Knock Out
Mac's are MADE for media... they're the best thing you can possibly use for audio/video stuff. I take a graphics class at BOCES in my school district, and we took field trips to different technical institutes, and EVERY school was running thier programs off of Mac's. (Obviously for a reason.) Mac's are a lot quicker to the response than windows, and thier performance is better too. You should check your sources again... *I'm not saying there is NO better computer made, but like I said, Mac's are like revolved around music/video/audio making.

Mac's arent necessarily MADE for media...at one point they just used to be the best for media. Today, most sources state that PC's can do the job just as well, so I'm guessing that the obvious reason why EVERY school was running their programs off Mac's is because people are still stuck with the idea that it's the best, not knowing that PC's can now compete.

This seems to turn into yet another irritating MAC vs. PC debate...pity!

Knock Out

Rap's Genious
ill o.g.
You're right, PC's can definently compete now, but I still think Mac's are better. These weren't just "schools" like Copenhagen called them... they were Technical Institutes... schools revolved around audio/media learning. *Also, when I was in the studio in Ohio I went to not long ago, the producer Zeke specifically said, "if you guys ever do anything media oriented, get a mac."

M

Mcrob

Originally posted by Copenhagen
This seems to turn into yet another irritating MAC vs. PC debate...pity!

Hey I love debates. Cause I love to bring people to the point that they got nothing to say and I got like another 50 things to say that can go against them.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
mcrob, we do not need that element here on illmuzik. from what you said, it sounds like you just like the creation of conflict. you are more than welcome to do that on other sites, and i feel like i speak for the majority of ILLMUZIK members when i say that debating things here for the sake of "bringing people to the point that they got nothing to say and you got like another 50 things to say that can go against them" is senseless, immature, and quite unwelcome here.

C

Copenhagen

Knock Out, personally I just think that it's because people are still living in the 80's or in the early/mid 90's...after that time era PC's have been able to compete with Mac's at the same level according to most sources. I myself work with both and as long as you run an OS higher than Win98SE...I find no real difference between them. Nevermind though...
Isn't there any IT sites or mags that have done a 'real' comparison...who came up with a trustworthy result.