Mac vs.PC?

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The software are different. Like you can go with pro tools on a mac and not on a pc. You can use fruity loop studio on a PC and not on a mac. That's about it.

I prefer mac but it's because I prefer mac os X to windows.

C

Copenhagen

dnt, ProTools is also developed for the PC.

The Konductor, you should do a search in the forums, there's a couple of similar threads about Mac vs PC in here.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
It's your preference (bmw, mercedes or lexus)

Mac vs PC gap is nonexistent anymore and actually the capabilities of the PC have probably surpassed the black sheep MAC, only because protools was heavily marketed in the beginning days on the mac hardware/software platform is why you see it in most expensive studios nowadays and used by the hardcore MAC lovers...that is the only reason.......it runs great on a high end pc with no problem, giving the same or better result when processing, load your ram up to at least 1gig + and get at least a PIII processor over 1gigahertz if you are processing a lot of tracks max out your memory.........

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
???
They are the same sowtwares. But then again there is more less then professionnal software to record on a PC...

C

C-4

Good points. But the most important feature about the Mac, is it`s speed. Get a Apple G4, and you have the power to run these super power draining software. And believe me, these programs take up a lot of memory and processing power. Protools alone, takes a minimum of 256 MB of RAM. That is just to get it up and running properly. Yes, you can open it up on 128 MB, but you`ll see how many times you crash when you are trying to use the plug - ins and what not. On a PC, I`d recommend that you max the memory out. In most cases, it`s 512K, but newer models go as high as 1G. And some, beyond that. You need to get the fastest processor you can find. Believe me, you think a 1GHZ would be fast enough, but like I said, when you get into some serious plug-ins, processing that info, especially multi-processing, drains your computer, big-time. The G4 processor in the Mac computer, is 29% faster than the fastest PC processor. Now, just imagine what a Mac computer, with dual processors can do. Or, 4 processors? Put that together with a their incredible 2G memory, and you have an incredible music / video machine.

But, like people have said in here, PC is catching up, and in some ways, past the Mac. In software, the PC has way more options. Yes, you can use Protools with the PC now, and yes, most studios use Macs and PCs. So, if you take a PC file over to a studio, and they only have a Mac there, they will have to switch the file so it can be used on the Mac, since the Mac's operating system and the PC`s aren`t compatible. Also, the Mac's version of Protools differs from the PC's version. It`s very slight, but different none the less. ( The Mac's version has the same features as the PC version, and more. )

* Here's an important point. Most audio or video software, needs a hard drive with a minimum of 7200 rpm. 10,000 rpm is preferred. Yes, a lot of the PC programs will let you get away with 5200 rpms,but if you start recording long pieces of audio, ( Like multi-takes of vocals ) you see your computer start to stutter. In other words, when you playback your song, it will actually start stuttering.

But, usually it`s price that gets you in the end. You can get a fairly good PC for $500. But, always ask about the hard drive. 7200 rpms will save your life more than once.

Peace.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by C-4
The G4 processor in the Mac computer, is 29% faster than the fastest PC processor. Now, just imagine what a Mac computer, with dual processors can do.

Peace.

Are you out of your mind? You have to be joking. Have you been hiding in a cave for the last 5 years? You sound like a brainwashed Apple salesman. There is no Mac that can compete with the fastest PC's period. At any price. Have you heard of Hyperthreading? Intel 3ghz Canterwood chipset? Look it up and see how it competes with the dual 1.42ghz G4. Also you seem to forget that you can build PC's with dual processors also. Except instead of two 1.42ghz Motorolas you'll have two 2.xghz AMD processors for half the price. My 2.8ghz PIV is WAY faster than the dual 1ghz G4 which I use at school and costs almost $1000 more.

The speed thing is just one of the many myths of owning a Mac. Another myth is stabilty. All computers crash PC or mac.

I did read a rumor about the Mac G5's that are supposed to be comming out which are supposed to be faster than PC's. But until then I dont even wanna hear it. Mac's are over priced under performing outdated machines. Althought the OS is pretty.

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
for the record, osx really don't crash. I used it for the past year and it chrashed one time only. Some programs crash sometimes but it's only the program that crash and not the os.
Even if I a mac user, I must admit that pretty much all that Some Guy say is true.

C

C-4

Yeah, that`s what I was about to say........okay, okay, I do sound like a brainwashed Apple employee. You`re right. Sorry. My mistake. I knew I was getting carried away with the 29% thing.
Apple still claims they are the fastest, but the Adobe tests say the PC crushed the Mac in every test. *knife through my heart*

Peace.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Dont trip when the G5's come out Mac will be on top again. Until Intel goes Pentium 5. Its a cycle, but right now Mac users are gettin robbed by Steve Jobs.

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
in my opinion a mac will never be on top again. just look around and see macs cost so much more and a pc is so much less and they if built right run very stable. at one time a mac was the god of the digital relm but in my opinion not any more.

just my 5cent

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
because a pc can be stable, a mac can't be faster? I don't understand the logic of that.

note: a pc is very stable with linux. Windows is shit tho.

I don't really have an opinion on if mac will or won't be faster than pc sometimes inthe future. Anyhow, it is beside the point really. I can do my music on a decent computer, I don't care if it's the fastest really. In fact, I don't need a faster computer.

M

Mcrob

YO WHATS UP

There is no difference. The two does the same work. It is only personal perference, whatever suits you stick to it.
The only thing you need to think about is the speed, amount of space on the harddrive, a very good soundcard, mic and monitors (speakers monitors) I was thinking to same thing, but i went to the stores and studios and i've seen the two do the same exact work. They say that a mac is very stable...........so is a pc. They say a mac is plug and play........so is a pc.
click here

This place is bull shit. I was thinking one time of getting a mac and saw this and thought how fake this advertisement was.

ez

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
Mac

Mac is better hands down! Why do they cost more you ask? Because you pay for quality. Why does a Benz cost more than a honda? Why does a Lamborghini cost more than a Benz? You get what you pay for. PC's are made from generic parts. There is no standard from which they are made. Mac's can read pc files but a pc can't read macs. you be the judge.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Mac vs.PC?
What is the difference between producing with a mac or pc?

I think we're loosing focus on the original question and turning this into a Mac vs. pc battle.

There isn't very much difference in the two as far as producing from my point of view.

dac

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Re: Mac

Originally posted by MadScientist
Mac is better hands down! Why do they cost more you ask? Because you pay for quality. Why does a Benz cost more than a honda? Why does a Lamborghini cost more than a Benz? You get what you pay for.

If you're comparing computers to cars then PC's are Ferrari's and Mac's are VW bugs with pretty paint jobs. Except in this case the Ferrari costs half what the VW does. You do the math. If you feel like working with a slower prettier machine then get a Mac.

PC's are made from generic parts. There is no standard from which they are made.

What the fuck are you talking about? Macs and PC's have mostly the same shit inside. Same video cards/ Hard drives etc. The only hardware difference is the CPU's and motherboards and we all know Intel/AMD make better chips than Motorola. So it looks like both PC's and Mac's have generic parts except Mac users pay an extra G for them.

Mac's can read pc files but a pc can't read macs. you be the judge. [/B]

And whats youre point? Mac's are fuckin 4% of the total computers in the US. If they didnt read PC files then they couldnt read the files of 96% of the market. Why would PC's spend the time to read the files of 4% of the market? Simple math man.

M

Mcrob

Re: Mac

Mac is better hands down! Why do they cost more you ask? Because you pay for quality. Mac's can read pc files but a pc can't read macs. you be the judge.

Thats not true!!!!!! If Mac can read pc files then why does the company lack the amount of programs compared to the pc and people complaining about this?? Pc and Mac music recording does the exact same work, it depends on the soundcard.
Pro tools is on both, logic is on both and cubase is on both, but cool edit pro is only on pc. I dunno I guess is the personal perference.

ez

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
so why say your opinion inthe first place?

Anyhow, I'm a mac lover but your aguments aren't very impressives... I prefer working on a mac because it easy to use. I'm really a dumb ass when it comes to computers. I can use it but setup and debugging ain't my bag. That being said, I don't trust the bullshit apple is saying in their advertisment either.

members online