Logic 9 warps samples a la Ableton Live but better with Flex Time?

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I know logic 9 has been around for a little while but I haven't heard too much disscussion about Hip Hop Samplers using Flex Time. This weekend I've been playing around with it and yo Its dope. If you are like me and have all the major daws (Pro Tools, Reason, Ableton, Logic ect..) starting a new project can be tough. I love Logic for composing but protools for mixing and recording vox. I really dig Abletons Warp engine for sampling but I don't like the way the instruments soud.
I used to edit samples in ableton mostly but after digging into LOGIC 9 sample editor and flex time all I can say is wow... Check it out if you already haven't. Ill post a vid as soon as I can.

Peace

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Ive still yet to upgrade from Tiger so I havent had the pleasure of trying LP9 but 8 is still my goto DAW now, wouldnt have it any other way.

PS - why dont you like to mix in Logic? Its so easy in that app!

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ive still yet to upgrade from Tiger so I havent had the pleasure of trying LP9 but 8 is still my goto DAW now, wouldnt have it any other way.

PS - why dont you like to mix in Logic? Its so easy in that app!

Tell you the truth the reason why I mix on Pro Tools is because of two reasons. 1. My studio computer is still running tiger also and we have pro tools7.4LE running on that so unless I hook the Macbook Pro up to the digi 003 im SOL. 2. I cant get Logic to play nice with the Digi 003. At my home studio its cool but at the Big studio It just wont work. I think its a firmware issue but Im the only person at the studio that uses logic my other two partners use protools.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
COSIGN

I need to see that Flex video ASAP!

Im gonna try my hardest to get this vid together this week. Ive been so busy with work and newly being married I havent had much time to work on my music lol...

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
COSIGN

I need to see that Flex video ASAP!

Yo Ominous can you make a vid on how you chop and select samples in logic? I got my way but I would like to learn some different techniques

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
What exactly are you trying to chop? If its something with obvious spaces like a really clean drum break then you can use "strip silence" or whatever its called...

If it requires more surgical editing by hand then its just a matter of first setting your desired resolution for snapping on the grid, or turning the grid off all together, and then zooming into specific spots for where your going to cut....you basically repeat the process over and over.

The scissors tool works fine for this but to make things swifter, what I like to do is set my secondary tool to the marque tool and then when I find a spot to cut I just hit command and bring up my marque....then I just highlight the part I want to cut with the marque and hit delete...works pretty good.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What exactly are you trying to chop? If its something with obvious spaces like a really clean drum break then you can use "strip silence" or whatever its called...

If it requires more surgical editing by hand then its just a matter of first setting your desired resolution for snapping on the grid, or turning the grid off all together, and then zooming into specific spots for where your going to cut....you basically repeat the process over and over.

The scissors tool works fine for this but to make things swifter, what I like to do is set my secondary tool to the marque tool and then when I find a spot to cut I just hit command and bring up my marque....then I just highlight the part I want to cut with the marque and hit delete...works pretty good.

I use the sample editor and create regions command. Then move it on the gride and stretch it to what want length or pitch I want then use scissor tool. This way every layer of sampling will have its own esx 24. I have a pretty dope way of sampling. Logic have very powerful tools on deck but most ppl don't find them

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Honestly, I never use Logic for sampling. Just for synths and mixing down beats I make on the MPC or Reason. but illmuzik did have this dope ass Just Blaze sampling tutorial on the front page. I have yet to try it out but it looks awesome.

I am due for some new vids though. I should have some up this week.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Honestly, I never use Logic for sampling. Just for synths and mixing down beats I make on the MPC or Reason. but illmuzik did have this dope ass Just Blaze sampling tutorial on the front page. I have yet to try it out but it looks awesome.

YouTube - Production Tips // Just Blaze Demonstrates Sample Chopping in LOGIC // MIKECHAV.com

I am due for some new vids though. I should have some up this week.

Yea thats the beauty of Logic its so many ways of doing the same thing. we can just choose what fits our work flow.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
chopping (ive explained this here before)

For logic 9, drag apple loop into the arrangement's audio track.

Double click it to open audio editor.

From audio editor menu go audio-> detect transiencts, when thats done go audio-> update file.

Select the audio track in the arrangement again.

Hit the flex tool button and select slice (in the pulldown menu once that appears in flex mode) in the audio track properties.

Ctrl click the audio selection and hit slice at transcients (select all slices ofc).

Go to audio menu in the arrangement and hit convert to sampler track.

---

Normal warp, take an audio object and use select tool, hold alt while dragging from down-right corner of the audio object.

---

Varispeed

ctrl click in transport and select varispeed, after that the button will appear in the transport bar. Note that this affects the whole project but does sound very good, much better than warping imo within marginal % (above 20 you get artifacts). Not only can you change speed of projects, also hz ( go from 440 to 442,435...whatever). I used this a lot on vinyl breaks, uptempo funk breaks to bring em back to 80-110 bpm by loading it in a project, bounce it and then load it back again (opposed to stretching,warping in arranger).

----

and i agree on ableton live, ive always found the stretch engine to dabble to much with the audio making it a pretty recognizable algorhytme.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
I use the sample editor and create regions command. Then move it on the gride and stretch it to what want length or pitch I want then use scissor tool. This way every layer of sampling will have its own esx 24. I have a pretty dope way of sampling. Logic have very powerful tools on deck but most ppl don't find them

Cool man, I was under the impression u needed some help....but yeah, Logics dope like that cuz u really do have a shitload of options to process audio in that application.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Cool man, I was under the impression u needed some help....but yeah, Logics dope like that cuz u really do have a shitload of options to process audio in that application.

Yea Steez I didn't need help but im just curious on how we all get down in logic in terms of sampling. You all gave great ideas all very diffrent. Now we can all try out diffrent techniques in our own workflow.

Format24 got some dope ways of doing it also im gonna try that out asap. I never used varispeed before worth a try though.. Peace

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Forgot to add, but once you set flex mode, you can set. Sensitivity for transcient detection in the wave editor. + - becomes highlighted in orange then.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i got lp 9 on my macbook pro, but my studio mac pro still got logic 8 on it. Time to install it it sounds like.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What up Ill fam!!! Im going to be uploading a Video tutorial to Youtube in a few mins demonstrating how I import edit and chop samples in Logic Pro 9. Im also going to show you guys how I use Flex time in my work flow. Show some luv. Peace.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Here it is Sorry it took so long ya boi been mad busy. The video quality isn't great. I will figure out how to get the video to come across a little clearer. If you guys have any questions or additional tips let me know. This is one way how I sample in Logic Pro 9.. Peace!!

members online