Keys necessary with MPC?

TheDeen

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Are keys really necessary to sequence beats on an MPC?

Are the pads only good for drums/bass or can they be successfully used to control other sounds?

mgorsuch

ill o.g.
I imagine that you don't HAVE to have keys, but they sure do come in handy.

I use a cheap 25-key midi keyboard for my beats. If price is of concern, take a look at something by M-Audio.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
currently I strickly use the mpc by itself.. but when i get a few songs finished this way i'll probably begin to use my keys with it again. The mpc is so powerful i think it's nice to use it by itself for a while to know everything it's capable of doing

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
keys arent neccesary u can make melodies wit the pads its just more time consuming and tiring

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
In general, whether its hiphop or not, I think its a basic tool in your setup and preferably something bigger than 3oct.. Its not that you need to be a virtuoso but a bit key action does expand capabilities...

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have keys now, but i have made a lotta beats wihtout them. I just play the samples out, I can even play the basslines with the pads. IT does help to have thought if you got a layed out bass or guitar program that you wanna play. Having the keys helps. But if you are mainly a sampler you don't really need the keys.

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
I Use keys all day everyday. I compose more than sample. But i have made beats on jus the mpc alone. Get you some melodic programs(bass, guitar,ect..) and you could do some work with that. But if you are a sampler do u think u need keys? Cause u usally have a melody come from the sample itself.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i think keys are essential to producing .. making beats without some kind of keyboard is really limiting imo ... but i actually know a grammy award winning producer who doesnt use keys .. just the mp pads .. but then again he hasnt done much in the last few years and like class said ..it is 2006 lol

TheDeen

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I do have keys lying around somewhere [Yamaha DX7], so that isn't a problem. I just wanted to know y'all's opinion on this issue.

Thanks for the feedback,

The Deen

TymE

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
You can use the MPC to play keys on VSTi through MIDI M.P.C. Midi Production Centre so you can use it it like a midi controller

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
TymE said:
You can use the MPC to play keys on VSTi through MIDI M.P.C. Midi Production Centre so you can use it it like a midi controller

Im pretty sure he knows that but playin actual keys is way different than playing pads.

TymE

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
misscc803 said:
Im pretty sure he knows that but playin actual keys is way different than playing pads.

From the question asked it doesn't seem like it. But your right playing pads isn't playing keys, although you can achieve the exact same outcome

Bully Beatz

ill o.g.
i think that the pads work best for drumz and whatever else you have to play but its always nice to lay down a nice melody or baseline on keys

mpc-samples

ill o.g.
I always use pads for drum parts and have a cheap Evolution midi controller to play multisample programs in my MPC - stuff like piano doesn't really sound too natural when played on the pads (IMO).

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
mpc-samples said:
I always use pads for drum parts and have a cheap Evolution midi controller to play multisample programs in my MPC - stuff like piano doesn't really sound too natural when played on the pads (IMO).

Just out of curiosity which MPC u using?

Nicole

mpc-samples

ill o.g.
misscc803 said:
Just out of curiosity which MPC u using?

Nicole

I've always used the XL for most stuff, but after writting the 1K book I started using the 1000 for a lot of stuff as well - still can't settle on those 1000 pads though. Getting an MPC2500 in a few days, so will no doubt start using this for most things.

members online