Is Hiphop REALLY Dead?

Is HipHop REALLY Dead?

• Total voters

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
yo i cant believe we have more votes for no then yes what the fuck is wrong wit this picture!!!

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
hip hop is dead in america, it is alive and well across the pond....tho peeps like DOOM and MADLIB (and pretty much all of stones throw) still holding it down big style, worldwide....

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
hip hop is dead in america, it is alive and well across the pond....tho peeps like DOOM and MADLIB (and pretty much all of stones throw) still holding it down big style, worldwide....

i need to be in england

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Trez 260 - thanks for the KRS link, very cool reading about Bam giving KRS the nod after he released "stop the violence". Dope article.

UK heads(Formant/Carpe/Haze) - who are some of these cats who are laying down highquality music over on your side? Heard Dizzy Rascal / Dynamite, pretty good, I'm sure there's better. I remember first listening to UK hip hop (around 91-92), I'd be digging on the beat, then the MC would come in and it would just sound all wrong. I guess when British people sing you don't hear that accent, but when they're rapping it's right in front. kind of weird after growing up on East Coast hip hop. no disrespect, just trying to get a handle on what's up in UKHH in 06/07....

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
herbaliser, morcheeba, roots manuva, etc but indeed, the british rap doesnt flow like french rap would but roots manuva for example does flow in his own way. However, the quality and balance in productions and recordings contain a lot of taste opposed to many US productions. This isnt just in regards to hiphop music but also pop in general.

hollaatroy

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
When did hip hop die???????

Nas says it's dead! Judging by that last album, it must have been a double homicide. This cat done come a long way (down) from Illmatic, so he can't even say shit. But the truth is that hip hop is always evolving. It just so happens that now is the South's turn to eat, so alot of East Coast rappers saying hip hop is dead. Lifestyle will never die. Culture will never die. Therefore, HIP HOP WILL NEVER (EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER) DIE.

Benny BuKu

BAD NEWS
ill o.g.
Nas says it's dead! Judging by that last album, it must have been a double homicide. This cat done come a long way (down) from Illmatic, so he can't even say shit. But the truth is that hip hop is always evolving. It just so happens that now is the South's turn to eat, so alot of East Coast rappers saying hip hop is dead. Lifestyle will never die. Culture will never die. Therefore, HIP HOP WILL NEVER (EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER) DIE.

1st of all Nas' "Illmatic" and GZA's "Liquid Swords" (in my opinion) are the 2 best SOLO albums of all time, so to expect Nas to match that is just too high of an expectation. But I thought his album was well put together. 10 times better than most of the garbage that came out this year. If anyones album was dissapointing it was Jay-Z's.

2nd, when Nas said Hip Hop is Dead, he said it because he wanted to spark people's interest. He wanted the Hip Hop generation to take a look at itself in the mirror. I mean if you consider all the bullshit that the mainstream media feeds us to be hip hop, then you don't know what hip hop REALLY is. He wasn't attacking the South, or the West or anybody in particular. But what he did say is all those who take it as a personal attack, then you're probably the wack niggas he was talking about. Nas also said that he expected and wanted mc's to come out and defend hip hop. But if they got too personal and tried to verbally attack Nas, then he would have to "Ether" em.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Trez 260 - thanks for the KRS link, very cool reading about Bam giving KRS the nod after he released "stop the violence". Dope article.

UK heads(Formant/Carpe/Haze) - who are some of these cats who are laying down highquality music over on your side? Heard Dizzy Rascal / Dynamite, pretty good, I'm sure there's better. I remember first listening to UK hip hop (around 91-92), I'd be digging on the beat, then the MC would come in and it would just sound all wrong. I guess when British people sing you don't hear that accent, but when they're rapping it's right in front. kind of weird after growing up on East Coast hip hop. no disrespect, just trying to get a handle on what's up in UKHH in 06/07....

Stig of the Dump aka Stevie Dickhead

I dont care what they say homeboy is nice with it...

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
2nd, when Nas said Hip Hop is Dead, he said it because he wanted to spark people's interest. He wanted the Hip Hop generation to take a look at itself in the mirror. I mean if you consider all the bullshit that the mainstream media feeds us to be hip hop, then you don't know what hip hop REALLY is. He wasn't attacking the South, or the West or anybody in particular.

Right on Benny, agreed.

Hollaatroy, it aint's East/West/South, this is a Global culture. Nas is trying to look at hip hop in a larger perspective. It's been around for 30 + years, and for the first twenty you had some positivity along with the party music. The last ten years it's been pretty much all party music, all stereotypes, all negativity. The world is in rough shape right now, and music gives people a chance to have some common ground and advance. If artists continue to do things only for financial reasons, then this culture is not going to be the positive force that it's capable of...

"Everybody sounds the same, commercialize the game, reminscin when it wasn't all business..."

My two.

members online