in a slump?

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Just take a break from it. Listen to all kinds of music you wouldn't normally listen to. Read up on your equipment, anything that will progress you through your slump. I usually just stay away from it (making music in a slump), don't force creativity. It should just come to you, you force it, it will come out shitty. I have been going through the same thing lately. It's all natural, everyone gets it. It means you got too much on your mind. Just relax, smoke a fatty or something, watch a movie....

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
word fresh ingredients is always a good option,, sometimes just stay at it like all night, even if you keep making one wack beat after another, if you keep at it beat number thousand is going to be dope as hell, enjoy it for a couple of minutes when it finished and go to sleep..

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
changalang said:
if u smoke weed and try making a beat everything sounds 10x hotter. or u can get new samples that always works for me
you should hand out some free smokes when you let some boys listen to your beats, guaranteed to sell hahaha

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
we go through these threads fairly often it seems... .

anyhow, stay away from it for a while. read some mixing articles. play some video games for a few days. write rhymes. do anything besides make beats. stay away from beats for a weekend and a day or two and you should be fine.

ill o.g.
I try listening to anything that wont remind me of sample-based music. Listen to some old folk music, O Brother Where Art Thou Soundtrack, Stevie Wonder, George Benson. Listen to some old funk. Listen to some good rocknroll. Then when you start gettin that itch to make some beats again (the longer you wait, the better) then smoke that blunt with the new kit in front of you.

I always turn to different genres when im in a slump (im always listenin to music so this is a good way for me). Whatever works for you though, you gotta have a plan.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
try asphyxiation while masterbatin all over your equipment. you have to show your gear love. or it wont show you none in return. and if at any time you can smoke any cheeba while chokin your little midi cord, is always good. creative slump time is always good to go back and work on things you have already a foundation for, freak something else out for a while.

T

The Bastard

sum people say not to force the creative process but ive made sum of my illest beats on those nights where u just cant come up with shit ,and ur way past frustrated and u just wanna bang some type of shit out before u go to bed

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Did you ever listen to the music coming out of someone's headphones and it sounds totally different from what is actually being played? I've experienced this and it gave me new ideas for beats. So, basically, as others have suggested, listen to other people's music and see how you could improve what you listen to it OR play some hot acapellas and se what would go nice with those vocals.

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
changalang said:
if u smoke weed and try making a beat everything sounds 10x hotter. or u can get new samples that always works for me

True, true. Never blazed while poundin on some pads but I've took a couple tokes while workin' wit FL and some hot Michael Jackson samples. It did some good. Whatever approach you take, dare to be different!

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Yea I go thru that shit sometimes.........I dont think there is a trick. Just sit it out and eventually it a come back. Keep trying tho. Usually your best music comes right after that sooooo use that for inspiration.

Pz,
Bosta

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Overproduced shitty pop music midi's often have some dope loops if you change the sounds up. Start there when in need.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
this is kind of the same thing as listening to different music but in particular, stop listening to your favorite mc's and producers because when you start subconsciously comparing your stuff to theirs, it frustrates you. your favorite artists are probably your favorite because they inspire you..just dont take that inspiration and use it to try to reproduce what inspired you.

ya smell me?

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i thought som1 would say but they didnt so...
listen 2 ur old traks u messed up on,never finished,got props 4,listen 2 instrumentals
of rap beatz i do that alot n thatz how i get new ideas n get hyphy.
when im really not comin up wit nothin i step away from my beatz 4 a week 2 a month
n that alwayz workz.