I Remember When...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I first heard Herbie Hancock's "Rock It". That's when I started bboying LOL at 9 years old.

I also remember when I first heard Beastie Boys' "Licensed to Ill", totally hooked me on rap music.

What do you remember of hip hop?

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I remember putting the tape recorder up to the speaker in the living room to tape all the Yo! Mtv Raps shows so I could listen to them later...

I remember having all the Fat Boys on cassette tape. lol.

I also remember getting my first Casio keyboard that had the yellow sample pads with the lion sound "pre-loaded" on it when I was around 9 or 10. That thing was like my first sampler. I loved it. I used to drive my parents crazy tho....Id be sampling myself making burp or fart noises and then Id play the sounds chromatically and make songs out of them. haha

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Fresh Prince (yes, when I was 8-9) Black Sheep's whole first album, LOTUG's first album... the lack of autotune on most tracks! haha

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I remember when Ice-T had a show at my high school back in 1988 and I didn't even know! Only found out a week later that he was there.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Like steezo, taping Yo. Most def ill communication, i wasnt so hooked on nwa or pe aside from a few tracks, most things broadcasted on Yo! werent available here so the next thing i bought was 3feet high n rising on tape (with proof of purchase on the back). Sometime later i got setup with cypress hill, digable, tribe, das fx, krs and gangstarr, those were the prime shit aside from my mtvraps/radio tapes.

Fasttracker on a 386 @40mhz/4mb with 32 mono channels of sample madness, then figuring out i could hook up my yamaha psr 260 to it via midi woaaaah!

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Fasttracker on a 386 @40mhz/4mb with 32 mono channels of sample madness, then figuring out i could hook up my yamaha psr 260 to it via midi woaaaah!

Haha, I used Impulse Tracker! Good times!

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
run dmc, the raising hell album was the shit. beastie boys, eric b and rakim

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
1. before slip mats we use to cut circles out of album sleeves (plastic & paper) and when we really wanted our tables to look dope, we would cut up the album cover with the pic facing up and don't mess around and have 2 of the same album covers...oh you were gonna get laid with that...hahahaha!

2. Didn't have a car stereo system so we put a cassette boom box in the back seat! You had to pull over and stop to change the tape. The 2 greatest inventions in the world was cassette players with auto reverse and car chargers (batteries got expensive).

3. No cell phones...The hottest "phrase" in the world was..."Hit me on my pager!"

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I used to spend my friday nights with a fresh cassette tape and listen in on hot 97 and 107.5 in NY...I used to record everything on tape...I had tapes for days. And since I didn't have turntables....I used to mess around with the tape's buttons so it sounded like scratching.......

Steez...I used to have the SAME KEYBOARD....it had laser gun sounds too....and some basic bongos on the pads as well.....I used to sample myself and it used to sound like gunshots.....First melody I played was glamorous life from sheila E.... I really wish I still had that keyboard.

I also remember when you sat near the radio for hours waiting for that ONE song to come on....I remember waiting to hear Scenario....still my favorite song of all time....I still get that feeling when it comes on out of nowhere... I remember when the music sounded like the guys went into the studio and had an awesome time, not going into the studio to make sure they don't get dropped. The love isn't there anymore for most artists...It's a shame...

I remember when hip hop was about the artistry, the music and above all originality.
I remember when I first heard Das Efx, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Lords of the Underground, Onyx, Diamond D, Show n AG, Redman, I just had to be a fan.
I remember going around stealing VW badges from cars because of the Beastie Boys.
And trying to bust a swan dive in junior school, and thinking I could pop n lock.
I used to record Tim westwood and Dj 279 RELIGIOUSLY, to the point Id know exactly when the adverts were coming so I could pause the second before the ads came in. I was always trying the get the latest new tracks to show off to my mates, and be the one that had the music, it was my attempt at being cool. I remember my first roland drum machine, still now I wish I hadnt pawned that fucker.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I remember waiting to get in broadcast range of Detroits WJLB when we would go visit my relatives, there used to be a mix show on there dj'd by "The Wizard" dude was bad and none of the music could be found in NC so I would be in the back seat of the car with the boom box cassette tape on pause just waiting to start recording.
It made me feel alive as soon as that show came on lol.
Honestly I heard stuff on there that I have never heard anywhere else.

So much goodness from back in the day.