I Just Heard The Common Sold 250,000

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
if its tru...REAL HIP HOP MAY BE ON THE RISE!!!!.....until Lil Jon drops an album or sumthin which wud suck so bad

Eurydice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
by the way even the magazines couldnt be truthfull he got 4and a 1/2 in every publication...he should have gotten a 5

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
"You dancin' for money like Honey, I did this my way, so when the industy crash, I'll survive like Kanye."

--Common the prophet

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
250k in 3 days?? From Common? sorry but I have to wait till tuesday to believe it.

About the REAL HIPHOP THING, it's really subjective. Of course Lil Jon is no real hiphop but he's hiphop in is ways. But frankly, I'm not feeling Common, I know he is good but..i don't know. I'm listening to him and his songs don't get to me and I most of the time have no idea what message he's trying to give, since he's a conscious rapper.

Wattz21XX

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Eurydice said:
Whats ya favorite songs on the album? Go...is mine
and Faithfull...

that would be hot if its true.

my fav track is "faithful" the concept is hot and the beat too, especially that instrument in the verse part. sounds like a guitar wit a talkbox or somethin like that.

next fav is "be"

ill o.g.
Qwerty said:
frankly, I'm not feeling Common, I know he is good but..i don't know. I'm listening to him and his songs don't get to me and I most of the time have no idea what message he's trying to give, since he's a conscious rapper.

know exactly wat u mean.......was listening to 'one day it'll all make sense' album on the way to work this morn and was thinking the same thing. musically, his albums are superb, but as for his raps, they just average to me! its funny cos when i loaded my md player this morn I was really hoping that i would feel it today....u know how sometimes u just aint feeling an album and then one day it all makes sense (as the title suggests)! i obviously aint ready for it yet! - but one day?!

J-UK

Um........
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
It's all about corners and chi city. Both those tracks are too heavy. The album definately isn't the classic they say it is, but it's still a lot better then any other big hip hop album.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
Qwerty said:
I'm listening to him and his songs don't get to me and I most of the time have no idea what message he's trying to give, since he's a conscious rapper.

are you serious?

since when did concious=having a message?

first off, "concious" jujst means that a dude raps with a level of social awareness.

its not necessarily a "message", but the whole album, heck commons career, every song has a purpose and direction... dude dont spit just to spit. do i have to break it down?

the corner- its about, well, the corners! its not about the hood, but, just, the corner. the average cat thats struggling. dont really have money, how these cats may envy those that have things they dont, and hoping for that break to get of this part of life...

faithful- metaphor of god as a woman. describing his relationship with god and the way treats god and teh importance god has in his life-using a woman as a metaphor, which is appropriate.

testify- old fashioned story telling. its about a woman who s pleading for her husband but turns out to be the one who commited the crime he got locked up for.

the city- on the surface its an ode to chicago, but more to the point the city is hip hop...talking about the state of hip hop in some places, just raw, fierce, and HUNGRY- this rivals that song, hungry, lyrically.

the food-a man has to eat! essentially an extension of the corners.

they say- dude addresses things people have said about him, about erica, abuot electric circus, etc.

need i go on? do these songs have "messages"? not really.... but they have something called "substance". THAT is what being a "concious" mc is REALLY about. can they still talk about sex, the hood, violence, and the like? well.... yeah tehy can, the difference is it isnt the pervading theme of tehir career as it is with so many others.

i got a review forthcoming soon.