How do I get Fruityloops to run smoother?

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
* Check musicxp.net for a nice list of great tips on how to turn Windows XP into the ultimate audio machine.
* Make good use "Switch smart disable for all" feature. You'll find it on the top left of the mixer where you get the options up!
* Use less stuff. (VSTis | Plugins | Samples)
* Get more memory / faster CPU - Atleast 512Mb Ram for Windows XP/2000 and atleast 256 for Windows 98
* Get a decent sound card with ASIO

* Set your latency. This setting changes how much time the processor has to complete its calculations.
o Set your latency higher if it can't seem to take what your throwing at it and you get underruns.
o Set your latency lower if you experience too long a wait between pressing a key on the keyboard, and actually hearing the note being played.
* If u do not have ASIO, use polling and the hardware buffer with the Direct-X drivers.
* Render out some stuff to wav and drop it back into an audio-clip on the audio track.
* Maybe try out the kx Project ASIO drivers if you own an SB live/audigy.
* Close all other programs that you are not using, and try not to use VST's when a simple wav sample will do just the same job.
* Reboot before you load Fruityloops.
* Check [Start > Run > 'msconfig'] for programs that load on startup and disable all non essensials.
* Do a clean install of windows, with just the essentials installed.
* Defragment your hard drives once a month overnight.
* Most people have spyware hidden on their computers. Installed secretly from web sites or software to track users and find their web surfing stats and visited sites, when you return to the site, they will advertise to you products and services to meet your stats from their advertising group. Often, software like 'Gator' is bunded in with other software almost like a trojan (but still fully legal) that sits there loaded in the background, replacing legitimate advertising from all sites with its own adverts! anyway, the worst problem people have with all this is that is uses cpu, memory, and lags the system down (Specially if you have never even 'cleaned' your system before, or didn't know about it.)

To fix, download, install, and run these apps once a week to clean out pretty much all the crap from your system for good:
Ad-Aware (Download)
SpyBot Search & Destroy (Download)

* Get an antivirus program. Viruses apart from the obvious dangers, can stay resident for a long time undetected, simply draining the system eventually to a halt. You can get a very good one called AVG anti-virus free from here. My problem with anti-virus programs though, is most of them want to stay resident, but as were trying to get your system resources lowered here, I'd suggest just turning the real time scanner option off, or using an online scanner like Trend Micro Housecall every now and then.
* Surgically add and remove Windows features, speed up your desktop and boot times and totally remove technology you dont want or need with XPlite or 98lite from LitePC
* Tweak Windows XP with Tweak-XP

P

pReMise

you can also jus get rid of shit on ur comp u dont use....i try to do it daily as i get new shit.....or jus buy a G5.......peace>prem

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Wow! Look at some of the stuff in this post...

* Get more memory / faster CPU - Atleast 512Mb Ram for Windows XP/2000 and atleast 256 for Windows 98

* Get a decent sound card with ASIO

and this...

* Use less stuff. (VSTis | Plugins | Samples)

Bahhh, no way. Do all the rest but less vst's is heresay!

Amazing!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
lol, i found an ol P1 at the studio once with 32mb. Got it to run 2.54 in win 98 lite @ 22kHz/16... shit was still fire running just native plugs

anyway, is it ye ol thread resurrection day ?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Yeah, nobody is saying ish so I had to go back down memory lane =). The sad thing is, back when this post was started in 2004, people were hyped about music, sharing their tips, expressing their opinions and having a good time... It amazes me how things have changed, we have better tools nowadays, more RAM, bigger, faster processors, more high end vst's/vsti's yet we act as if nothings changed.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Nothing has changed, really...nothing revolutionary.....unless.....we're talking about......

MASCHINE!!!

This is actually a pretty good thread....it's tough because many people don't know how to optimize their computers to get the most out of their audio experience...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Sucio you know thats only half true (the Maschine part is correct!...lol)...but everything has changed! From production to the genre itself. It's a whole new generation with new attitudes. Hip Hop is at the point where people need to stand up and be accountable for it, but most people today would rather be praised than do any praising, most want to reap the benefits rather than plant the seeds. We have become too introverted in a genre/hobby that basically relies on it's people for it's success..the perfect formula for failure!

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I still think you guys should do a better job of cultivating the newbs and show em how to move, that would creat a lot of new love for the community.

Out in the world though its nice. All the producers I meet down here are very cool, down to trade samples and tips... Its online where we cant look the other person in the eye that shitty attitudes prevail.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Yeah I agree with you Lou, I've had some ideas but they haven't materialized yet. I think at this point the seasoned cats really need to step up and be more understanding while providing constructive advice to help the new guys with whatever their issues are. Right now it's almost like they don't say shit until someone posts something questionable and then everybody jumps all over them...lol. Thats just ill's nature I guess but it's not good for cats that just don't know and it's discouraging as hell when they want to learn.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah I agree with you Lou, I've had some ideas but they haven't materialized yet. I think at this point the seasoned cats really need to step up and be more understanding while providing constructive advice to help the new guys with whatever their issues are. Right now it's almost like they don't say shit until someone posts something questionable and then everybody jumps all over them...lol. Thats just ill's nature I guess but it's not good for cats that just don't know and it's discouraging as hell when they want to learn.

Because the positive stuff is usually so damn boring.

Introduction:
'Hi, my name is (name)
I'm new to beatmaking, I hope to learn a lot here'

Response:
(Everyone) Welcome to Ill!

BORING!!!

But when you see someone like:
FUCKERS!!!!! I'm the Illest Beat Maker that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit blessed you all with the privilege of existing on the same planet and same time period with!

Thats like a flame that lights up a long line of firecrakers.

I don't think it's so much about negativity as it is about the fact that, if nothing else, its interesting.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
To some extent...I agree...lol. It does make it interesting, I just never see that many come out the gate with that charisma. I did see one about a month ago, come out saying that he was number 5 on on some other site but I haven't seen him come back since. Personally, I'd say smash those that try to come off like that but for those that say things like "how do I master my tracks?" instead of telling them how stupid they are for even asking a question like that, tell them the right way to is to get a professional to do it OR if you're gonna do it yourself, this is how it's done...

We all pretty much know each other, but some newbies come along and gel right in with us but even more get the wrong impression and never come back or sit in the shadows (which is not what we want). We want everyone to feel like they can communicate at anytime without being scared of someone bashing them.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
which is why I keep posting that instead of responding to these new guys with

YOU ARE THE PROBLEM WITH HIP HOP/ILLMUZIK/PRODUCERS/LIFE!!!

just take a breath, relax, and either write something helpful or post a link to a video showing them how to do stuff, or don't say shit and let the thread die...

The most unproductive thing about this forum is when a newb asks a newb question and dac and dp just get into an epic 3 page pissing contest over a program, plugin, or nomenclature. Especially when you two have tons of skills and knowledge to share.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
With all respect...your perception is wrong!

1. 99.9999% of the time that we start our "pissing contest" its just to get things going. Everybody else knows that.

2. To say "when a newb asks a question dac & dp..." suggests that it's done frequently or everytime a newb asks something, which is also a mis-perception!

3. A BIG majority of my post are directed towards newb's, I'm not posting tutorials about everything 'I do' for seasoned vets...apply the logic in that!

I get tons of PM's from newb's and regular members asking for advice on how do I do this or that and I answer to the best of my knowledge as prompt as possible. Get your facts straight, get to know us better and you'll see, if not then sobeit, think whatever.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm not going to debate perception, or anything for that matter with you dude, I've been coming here long enough to know that's a waste of time.

A perfect example of what I'm talking about is your thread titled something to the effect of "Listen to mah new hot fire beats yo!"...The regular guys who you like to refer to as "Seasoned Vets" all chimed in on how they hate spam and dont want to listen to peoples beats when they start a thread like that, which none of you guys are wrong for venting on the forum...

All I'm trying to say is maybe it would be more productive to instead post a link or some kind of resource that would help people who believe spam is an effective way to promote online to try something new to them that is proven actually be effective.

You guys who care about the site Dac, DP, Ex, and obviously Fade shouldn't brush these kind of suggestions off or get defensive, I'm on you guys' side, I like it here and want to see a shit load of growth...

You gotta remember you all have a comfort zone...I am outside of that zone, the stuff that I try to suggest to you all will help people wanna stick around and participate more, because at the end of the day, a member like myself is a better barometer for welcoming and keeping new members seeing as I've only been here 2 years and still post regularly...

If the goal is to have more new members do so, If I was a mod, I would value the input of one of the few new members who actually posts consistently...

If that's not the goal, my bad, I'll shut up.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
@LouBez I totally agree dude, it is a tough balance here because

#1 everyone here wants the site to grow
#2 it is very personal for most here
#3 we dish out a BUNCH of shit to each other, but no one can see that we when type it, it is all in good fun.
#4 a bunch of us are friends in real life, so the dynamics are a bit different than a normal forum
#5 Honestly sometimes its hard to help, because I forget that people don't know everything. I will try and be better at that.
#6 just like Dac, I get emails and PM's all the time and I try and get back to everyone, but sometimes it takes a while since I am so buried.

I don't think anyone here wants to be unapproachable. But we are all passionate, and sometimes that can come of as arrogant but trust me that is NOT the case.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
All I'm trying to say is maybe it would be more productive to instead post a link or some kind of resource that would help people who believe spam is an effective way to promote online to try something new to them that is proven actually be effective.

It is posted...it says RULES! Please read!

Here is some of what it says...

Do not spam these forums EVER.

You are NOT allowed to promote your own website or merchandise, unless you do it in your signature or profile, or in the Promo Spot.

You must have at least 50 posts in order to have an avatar or signature.

If you constantly ignore the rules, you will be warned, which may lead to you being banned.

I think it's pretty clear!?!?!?