How can i get rid of air gasps in vocal takes?

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Im using logic5, is there a way to take that out? Is there like a breath control feature or something? I've tried cutting the record take but with logic it will sometimes cut out part of the take and it sounds like shit... Any help is much appreciated, let me know if i need to be more specific..

A

ACEBEATZ

You can use a gate, but you have to tweak it gently. If your take is too much dynamic and a gate can't be adjusted good to fit all those peaks,then you got no other choice than to automate faders, or to manually silent the parts you want in editing section of your software.

That is a tricky job, and this is really exhausting to do, but at the end you will be proud of your work.

It make a BIG difference, background noise usually unhearable over vocals when the ratio is big enough, making your tracks sounds clean.

E

Equality 7-2521

you can just blank it out on the waveform.

but why would you want to do this anyway? it completely defeats the purpose of a dope mc dropping dope verses in one take.

i guess you have other reasons i havnt concidered.

maybe you are recording the next bigpun?

heh. bigpuns breaths were dope anyways.

chewbux

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
in cool edit you can go in and normalize any wav sample. like just go in and take out all the sound for any section. i dont know about logic but im sure it has something similar. try snoopin around the effects or amplification sections...

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Equality 7-2521 said:
you can just blank it out on the waveform.

but why would you want to do this anyway? it completely defeats the purpose of a dope mc dropping dope verses in one take.

i guess you have other reasons i havnt concidered.

maybe you are recording the next bigpun?

heh. bigpuns breaths were dope anyways.

i agree with EQ. i like the breath. its natural. i'm an emcee. i breathe....

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yup, it sounds too dam studio and not 100% human without it.

*The only reason Id be concerned is if it was like a cough, or a raspy ass infected sounding inhale..lol....other than that, u got 2 choices - Either Do another take, or cut it out in the wav editor, if the emcee feels unable to achieve that verse like that again.

M

MIKELABZ

come on yall. we talking pun and pac. yea they were 2 out of how many others who got away with it?
lets face it. lots of mc's cant. so if its sounding real unprofessional, then go ahead and cut the breathing out. if u feel as though u wanna check it with ur peers first, then upload both tracks and i'll personally let u know which one sounds better.
from my experience, i leave the breathing in there so it doesnt sound like a news anchor man got on the mic, but if the mc is breathing in the wrong spots and it sticks out i would cut it out.

A

ACEBEATZ

Kevin A said:
Noise Gate!!

Noise gate is good but not in every case. A lot of time you can't set it right when you have a lot of variance in your peaks.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
The cat im workin with got astma so he breaths weird, i think if i could dim the gasps or just completely get rid of the unneccessary one's it will come out alot better... I gues i'll try the gate like Ace said, or i'll just have to go through the track automation and lower the levels in them parts (sounds like a pain in the ass to me though)...

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
professionals will often use a noise gate, but make sure you set it right otherwise the vocal will have a pumping sound too it !
it mite be easier to go throught the vocal in a wav editor and remove what you don't want !

A

ACEBEATZ

MarkN said:
professionals will often use a noise gate, but make sure you set it right otherwise the vocal will have a pumping sound too it !
it mite be easier to go throught the vocal in a wav editor and remove what you don't want !

Gate doesn't produce pumping effect, compressor does. A gate will only completely cut the signal when it reach below the treshold. Or it will cut like you assign parameters: attack decay,release, etc. dependly on the plug-in/effect your using.

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
i say leave that shit in there...

i agree with Deuce tho, if it's some loud offensive gasp or something, cut it out/do another take..

gates are cool but can be tricky... i

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
After a little bit of me coaching him and us doing the vocal takes differently i just leave it in there now... But that noise gate did come in handy, i see what yall meant about tweaking it gently now...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
i hear big pun used to get punched in a lot.....
especially after he does like 8 bars w/o stopping...lol

me n nomics usually just take out the breathing......most of the time its because theres a tiny..tiny echo n a lil bkgd noise....so instead of plugins...just take it out.....then add compression...eq the voice...n add a tiny reverb.... like 2% or so....

Z

ztrax

Breath Issue

Sometimes compression can make the breaths a lot louder if it's compressed hard. It'll turn down the loud vocals and raise the lower parts (breaths, etc.) in between words. You can raise the threshold and/or lower the ratio to fix it if that's the problem.

If that's not the problem you can use the control key in Logic (I'm on a mac) when you splice with the scissors tool to give you a more defined cut, plus you can use the fade tool to smooth in and out of the sections you cut out. I hope this helps, in case you hadn't tried it already.

YZ
http://www.soundclick.com/ztrax

A

ACEBEATZ

iLLVA1 said:
Get one of them "poppers." It stops all the air from going in the mic and just records the voice. But they cost about 30 bucks but I personally think it's worth it.

Poppers will not eliminate noise lol. They only prevent ''things'' to go in your mic and on your capsule (spit, food pieces...). And they will prevent ''pop'' sound when you record, they will not eliminate em but reduce em. You know the sound like when you hit the mic with your finger but produced when you rap in the mic???

Lol, it stops the air from comin in the mic... This a good one I'll remember.