Help!! Getting that ''sampled sound'' without sampling...

C

Chubb-E

well i didnt know there was a standard to sampling your own creations. (sarcasticly typing he he) if thats the case i bet there are alot of fakes.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
alot of beatmakers doesn't realize how much work it goes into making a good soulful track. if you understand all the different elements that are put into the originals you're gonna know how to recreate it....simple as that.

Chisel

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm resurrecting this old thread, because I've based my whole production technique around what I call Faux-Sampled Beats - an original composed hip hop beat that sounds like it uses samples from vinyl recordings. Creating these beats has been the most fun I've had as a musician. I have nothing against sampling or people that sample. In fact, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't love this style of music and the talented producers who make it. The sampled beats of the early 90s era has made such an impression on me that I've made it a personal challenge to try and recreate it. I compose the faux-sample first, then apply effects, chop it, and flip it against a faux-breakbeat! It's such a blast. Please check out my YouTube page for examples.

www.youtube.com/chisel316

Peace \/
chisel316

Medl4

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 69
I say if your worried about clearance issues, than just get really really good at flipping samples, hence the word "flip", take a horn hit like you would a snare drum, bam. Glue that shit to something else, your all good. I think a lot of these cats are just using loops and thats not really what the art of sampling is, dont just press play and add drums, its a collage in audio form, make it your own.

& like I say when rappers trip on a heavily sampled beat they want to buy, if your getting heat for using a sample, it means that enough people are paying attention to want to give a shit. Cross that bridge when you get there.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
DJ Khalil samples original music. It sounds legit, and sounds dope.

And more over, he don't need to get sample clearance.

And labels don't really like to have to clear samples. Sometimes will make you clear your own samples, and / or tell you to use a different sound in place.

Just look back at the charts 50 years ago... that's when sound recording copyright dies... but, you still need permission from the songwriter. Unless they died over 70 years ago.

PimpPimp

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
its not possble. digg and sample if u want that sound dont try to fake it because its not possible.

alot of beatmakers doesn't realize how much work it goes into making a good soulfu l track. if you understand all the different elements that are put into the originals you're gonna know how to recreate it....simple as that.

DJ Khalil samples original music. It sounds legit, and sounds dope.

And more over, he don't need to get sample clearance.

And labels don't really like to have to clear samples. Sometimes will make you clear your own samples, and / or tell you to use a different sound in place.

Just look back at the charts 50 years ago... that's when sound recording copyright dies... but, you still need permission from the songwriter. Unless they died over 70 years ago.

PimpPimp

Some personal highlights from this thread, and my two cents... i read both pages to make sure nobody said what I'm about ta say, and they almost came close but none did.... The shit we're sampling is not only recorded to two inch, its also run thru classic boards mixed by genius ears and mastered by honored veterans who mastered the tube and dial gear that. Our emulators fake at being... Idk, I agree that it can be done, I also feel like why? If the sample is hot the sample is hot, you want a bentley or a 300? Namean? All of this sampling nonsense is out of order anyway... That system needs to be rewritten...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I think a lot of these cats are just using loops and thats not really what the art of sampling is,

I couldn't disagree more.

The art of sampling is doing everything to it...whether it's chopping it into little parts, looping it, filtering loops/chops...

To just restrict to just chopping into little pieces is limiting yourself...

If it's a dope loop...then why not loop it???

If you're getting sued for sample clearance, chances are you've already made a huge leap into the mainstream.....at that point, you'll be straight in terms of clientele.

E

EXEK138

I looked threw both pages an didn't see anyone mention it but, to get that old dirty sound I use D16's Decimort. It's my favorite bit crusher out there cuz I get such a good sound form it but, that's just my opinion on give'n your sound some age or grittiness. Hope that helps some, I do think the idea of recording on to a tape deck and back again is a good choice though.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
This is also an option...

http://www.virsyn.de/en/E_Products/E_VTAPE/e_vtape.html

sats.jpg

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Edit: Never mind, I gotta do a whole write up on this topic. Its deep.

members online