Help!! Getting that ''sampled sound'' without sampling...

Hitz_Production

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Yo, I need some of the experienced heads on here to lend a lil help, see, i work using the Motif-Rack ES, and soon to cop the MV-8000.. I dont sample cause of clearance issues and all that stuff i wish not to get involved in. I tend to like the old sound. But what FX processes could I use to get that sorta "old" sound...know what i mean, stuff (if needed) like tube-preamps and such.. or is it something as simple as lowering the bit depth/and or sample rate?? But i would most likely want to run my sound modules through a tube pre...please offer any tube preamps yall like also..

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
lowering the bit depth mite help a little but alot of songs back in the days got crazy panning so u can try ur best to recreate it wit that and some reverb to give it a more watered down oldie sound

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
slik da relic said:
also, "resample" what uve created... thats the term used on my equipment. u create something, resample it internally, then chop it up. i do this to my own songs sometimes. ive made a few songs for other artists this way.

da relic

i do that too. great advice.

as far as the sound quality. Peep "isotope vynil" VST FX, its free and pretty damn good

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
B

BeatSense

as far as the sound quality. Peep "isotope vynil" VST FX, its free and pretty damn good

Thanks for that heads up, i'll have to look into this one. I was just doin a search for 'sampling' on topics lol, and i found this one. found alot out on this one, thanks guys!

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
also, "resample" what uve created... thats the term used on my equipment. u create something, resample it internally, then chop it up. i do this to my own songs sometimes. ive made a few songs for other artists this way.

da relic

how would i do that in reason? like lets say i combinate a nice string melody and then want to get that oldie sound to it, what should i try?

sanova u got alink for that man? tried googling it, even in quotes, and nothing came up

O

open mind

its not possble. digg and sample if u want that sound dont try to fake it because its not possible.

O

open mind

Thats a lie......check remixmag.com they just had an article on giving your music a sampled feel....You also can try taking out the bottom of your songs

if u fake the "sample sound" its still not original its just fake.if u got to choose the "original" or the "fake" dont tell me u would prefer the fake "sample sounding" track.

peace.

O

open mind

Does it matter? As long as it sounds good.

~NW~

mhhhhh.. not really of course if its PHAT its PHAT but i just thought why should i fake to make it sound like a "sampled" beat instead of "sampling" it right from the spot?thats all.
phat is phat.its all good.

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Just work thru the process:

They recorded through analog gear to 2 inch tape back in the day, so try some analog sounding plugins, plate reverb, etc. on your tracks. A lowpass filter with a 6dB slope set around 3000-5000 Hz can help too. Add a little resonance, but not more than 5-10%, to make it sound sharper.

They pressed vinyl, so try overlaying some vinyl static, or one of those 'vinyl sound' plugins. Or 8 track tape hiss...

The 'we' sampled it into classic samplers with thie own sound. A good way to emulate that is OtiumFX Sonitex. (www.otiumfx.com/sonitex)

Last, but most importantly, is they could play back in the day, so your parts gotta sound like a musician is playing them, not a computer. Dynamics, chord structure, all that shit.

Also, you're gonna want to turn the played tracks to audio after you process them, so you can have more control over envelope release and reverb tails. Its hard to play a synth live and have it sound like a sample, you gotta sample it. Then you can trigger phrases from your pads and rearrange them, like we do with samples.

Hope this helps.

50 cal

King of the West
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
mhhhhh.. not really of course if its PHAT its PHAT but i just thought why should i fake to make it sound like a "sampled" beat instead of "sampling" it right from the spot?thats all.
phat is phat.its all good.

to avoid going through clearence, to make somthing never made before but still give the ill feel sampling provides.

Jacpot

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
First of all... Never be scared to sample anything because of so called "Clearance issues" For one most likely your not signed so who gives a shyt. For two if you are a hot producer and a label wants to purchase your shyt than its up to the lable to get the sample cleared not the producer. The producer will still get his bread "money"

As far as making your stuff sound like its sampled, Thats pretty corny in my book.

But if you want your stuff to sound sampled just sample it. Simple as that. Play out your favorite melody on the keyboard. Sample it into something then combine that sample that u just did with samples of vinyl pops and crackles from a real record. Once you combine tha two than chop up the melody and replay it back.

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
Try to record it first to a tape recorder or something like that and than back to your sampler. Indeed you should not worry about clearance, just create dope beats!!!!

members online