Hardware vs. Software

MORFEEUS

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I would like to hear what some of you think of trading in all of your hardware for a software setup now that the software game is really starting to catch up to the hardware for the industry????? I was thinking of doing this to save space and even some money...so what do you guys think????

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
You can make fantastic top 40 tracks in programs like Reason/FL

I think you will still need a keyboard controller or something of that nature so you are still using hardware. It seems like solutions like Maschine where it is a hardware software combo are going to be the future.

But no I would NEVER go back to just using an MPC it is just to much hassle and with the sampling stuff in Reason 5 that may be my only program needed for production.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
I think now-a-days it's a personal preference issue. Some people like the hardware and some prefer software. But to be honest with you, hardware is just computer programming with a dedicated shell. With technology where it is, if you can find a DAW that you like and would rather use instead of having a bunch of hardware, you can definitely do that. There is always a big discussion about which is better and it's a ridiculous discussion. It's like asking a keyboard player if he likes using Korg or Roland keyboards. Some will like one, some will like the other. Just make a decision for yourself and stick with it. You'll be happy either way.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Word...preference....I've been using software primarily since I started....I'm going to be moving over to Maschine shortly...I think I want the all-in-one thing, now...I think with the change in my equipment/software, my music will change as well...which is always good...

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i still really like the idea of an all hardware approach just because it keeps me from havin to stare at a damn computer screen for anything... the less screen i see, the more creative i get on my keyboard.
but for sure i find the benefits of a software solution like reason (just got version 5!), when i already have an idea of what im goin for in terms of sound

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
as long as i dont have a dedicated computer, i will NOT be goin the software route... i'd rather have a few machines that are dedicated to what they do... plus, im not gonna sell anything i spent thousands on... and i dont wanna change my work flow... u guys will be back in a few yrs.. u always come back.

da relic

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
man shit not only that you get that whole "dedicated" setup, but just the fact that you aint gotta run emulations of synths and shit keeps it feelin real. just like blind men learn to use the brains area that usually does hearing to "see" you can learn use the part of your brain that's gotta navigate a daw to do your thing as an instrumentalist. thats my POV anyway

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
man shit not only that you get that whole "dedicated" setup, but just the fact that you aint gotta run emulations of synths and shit keeps it feelin real.

I'm not into using synths in my music anyway.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
u guys will be back in a few yrs.. u always come back.

I have been software only since like 99-2000 so yea I am not coming back. It took me another 6 years to finally sell my MPC, but using hardware is SO freakin slow I think it would drive me crazy to go back. And I don't know of ANY hardware units that can do what VSL or Native Instruments can do.

tekboi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
With the advancement in DAW technologies, I now prefer software over hardware. But I do miss the feel of having 100% hardware setup.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
it depends what ur using when ur doing ur final mixes... if ur using a hardware DAW, i dont see the difference... u got the copy n paste, the harddrive, the mastering, the fx, the filtering.. even compression, and whatever else that comes with it... other than the possibilty of speed, i dont see what else im losing.. maybe an infinite amount of trx? im not sure.. what i do know, is that we ALL can pretty much emulate whats bein played on the radio, regardless if it takes me 10 minutes or 10 hours.

da relic

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
I am talking about for production, lets replace Reason with hardware for example. You will need 3+ synths and MPC a few mixers, a bunch of outboard gear a few samplers and then a hardware recorder. What a mess!

on a second note WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU USE A HARDWARE DAW? Are you serious? wow!

When someone says hardware vs software I think MPC VS FL/Reason

I never even thought it was PT vs Radar

There is NO reason to ever use a hardware daw.

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
well lets just put it this way. some people would rather have every option under the sun to fuck with everything, and never reach their full potential as a musician (too busy all the "what ifs in their software"). some people would rather learn to live with limitations, and become masterful at what their "limited" setup allows ;)

even if you are the person doing every step of the production process, you will probably find its easier to do all your recordings outside the box, then import to the box strictly for mixing/mastering.. of course again this is always just my opinion.

-oh and i suppose budget plays a big role too. reason can be had for 300 bucks at its newest version, add 200 and get a 61 key controller. an equivalent hardware setup will fuck your wallet over, and leave you with credit to pay off...

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
I am talking about for production, lets replace Reason with hardware for example. You will need 3+ synths and MPC a few mixers, a bunch of outboard gear a few samplers and then a hardware recorder. What a mess!
i dont understand... 1 sampling KB workstation and 1 hardware DAW can cover all of this... thats 2 pieces.

on a second note WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU USE A HARDWARE DAW? Are you serious? wow!

When someone says hardware vs software I think MPC VS FL/Reason

I never even thought it was PT vs Radar

There is NO reason to ever use a hardware daw.
i must be out tha loop.. wtf is "Radar"? i guess ur from the MPC realm, bcuz i never think just MPC vs FL/Reason... there are so many combinations of hardware/software combinations its crazy.. my DAW (Korg D16XD) has never given me reason to move to the computer, and as long as its functioning, im not changing... my set up doesnt take up a WHOLE room... and if i needed to, i can slim it down and still get the same results:

1) Korg D16XD
2) RS7000
3) Alesis Fusion
4) Korg ER1
5) Clavia Nord Lead 2

now, i can get rid of 4 and 5, and still produce good music that will be cd quality, and wont have to worry bout crashes, latency, soundcards, etc... we hear about these probs all the time... i wont be moving to the computer until the D16XD dies completely.. and im seein a transition from PT to other software as well, so even that has its days numbered.

da relic

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Although those products are nice, they don't come close to replacing Logic or Reason. Pro tools still has 95% market share and no one is changing.

1 sampling KB workstation and 1 hardware DAW can cover all of this... thats 2 pieces.

Not even close to what Reason can do, where is your modular synth? What about amp modeling etc.

I think you just need to come to my spot and I will give you a tour of Reason and you would never look back :)

Radar is the ONLY real hardware DAW that could compete with Pro tools http://www.izcorp.com/radar.php

i can get rid of 4 and 5, and still produce good music that will be cd quality, and wont have to worry bout crashes, latency, soundcards, etc... we hear about these probs all the time

Get a mac, no problems there!

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
ok.. i did see this "Radar" b4... about a month back.. the money i spent is not goin to go into spending MORE on this, no matter how dope it is.

and i do have 2 friends that use Reason... ive dabbled in it, and i do like the extra, EXTRA shit u can do, who wouldnt? but...

"Get a mac, no problems there!"
and there u have it... thats why im not moving from what i got... no need for MORE stuff to sit in the house, waiting for a buyer... if its functioning, im usin it.

The Beat Thang will be my next, next to last purchase... then a CDJ and mixer.. yep.. more hardware. ;-D

da relic