Gettin the Neptune sound!

DJ Reflex

Turntablist, Producer
ill o.g.
aight! I know how some of yall hate on the neptunes! but i just got myself a vocalist! Thats right a vocalist not an mc. Shes hot and she sounds like mya! anyway she writes all her own lyrics and wants to make rnb! well its sumthin new! She is a fan of ROC! (who isn't?) but she wants some neptune sounding tracks. At first i thought fine this will be easy, but then my beats started to sound like some kinda destiny child shit, and i was like wot the... ? so im puttin it out there cos everyones tried makin a neptunes sounding track? what worked for yall and what is it that gets that sound? (i can't put my finger on it). Its out there!
All u closet neptune fans lemme know!
Peace out!

C

CooGi_dice

yea korg triton - 01/w and roland jv series sounds.... (they use a korg 01/w on evrything they do)

they use alot of presents and do some minor editing to them...

the best way to learn how to make one of there songs, is to listin to one and re-create it.

TrustNo1

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
All i make is neptuney/justblazey/ electronic drive beats. i dont sample i always compose my shit from the drums up .

try makin a techno or a drumn bass track, using synths and stuff, then slow it all down, u'll hear the ideas flowing in

Streetwize

Beat Architects !
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 49
why do u brag that u dont sample

sampled beats sound 100000 x times better than composed beats, UNLESS you're using live instruments, not wack ass neptune presets

im also so wondering how u make just blaze beats since he samples??

link me to your page so i can hear a just blaze'y' type beat plse

TrustNo1

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
who was braggin? dont get all feelers cuz i rep what i do. i dont see anyone askin you why you "brag" about sampling.

as for for "sampled beats sound 10000 x times better than composed beats" ....whatever u say , watch the charts you'll see that both kind are makin moves. as for "wack ass neptune presets", before you diss any kind of successful production, where you at? i dont see your name on any kind of hit.

D

DAPREST

YOU GUYS CAN DEBATE TILL THE FUCKING COWS COME HOME, BUT THE TRUTH BE IF YOU WERE GETTING PAID WHAT THEY WERE GETTING PAID FOR MAKING BEATS YOU WERE MAKING YEARS AGO, YOU'LL ALL BE DOING THE SAME.

BESIDES IT'S SCIENCE, THE SOUNDS THEY USE ARE ALL SIMILAR IN FREQUENCY AND TEXTURE TO GET YOU IN THAT POP HAPPY SINGY MOOD.

I RATE THEM. (BUT NOBODY CAN BE THAT HAPPY ALL THE TIME)

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Originally posted by Streetwize
why do u brag that u dont sample

sampled beats sound 100000 x times better than composed beats, UNLESS you're using live instruments, not wack ass neptune presets

im also so wondering how u make just blaze beats since he samples??

link me to your page so i can hear a just blaze'y' type beat plse

Why is this starting again....sampl vs orginal........one is not better than the other ....and hating will get you no where in music....... if sampled beats sound so much better and the neptunes presets are so wack then they wouldn't making the amount of money they're making.........

To the original question if you can get a hold of the mpc2000 cd rom there are a lot of drums that the neptunes use on there along with a couple of their signature sounds and if you have a triton or any sound moduel search the drum kits for all kinds of precussion sounds and use the note repeat function on the mpc on melodies at 1/16 and that's basicly the sound they have......But try to get your singer to want what you have to offer instead of trying to sound like someone else...Tell her if she can't sound soulful like mary j blidge and hit the high notes like Mahria carey then you can't give her anything that sounds like the neptunes....Apparently she doesn't have much orginal song experience so she should be willing to take what she can get!!!!

C

Copenhagen

They used a lot of Clavinet on their old stuff, as far as I remember.

Anyway, try and mimic their songs. It will never come out like theirs, but that's not the point, you make your version of their song. After doing that, edit it, remove some stuff, add some new.
And hey, when you have the melody, just zap through your sample library whilst letting the song play until you find keys that sound right.
With time, you won't need to mimic their stuff, but will have developed your style that perhaps just inspired by them...but many producers are nowadays.

I would agree with inrctyhoodmusic though, make her want your stuff. Also, I guess that what she really wants is not to copy the Neptunes, but just to have something with the same party vibe as them.

PrOLifiK

Wax Fondling Since 420
ill o.g.
Sure that neptune keyboard stuff is popular but why is it popular? Probably cuz all the little kiddies around the world see it on mtv and commercials and listen to that s*it all day on the radio. I mean you gotta forgive these people. Most of the poeple who listen to all the comercial stuff dont know a damn thing about hip hop music, so there gonna buy exactly what they see on mtv. What would happen if all of sudden I got on mtv. I would probably be the next thing lol. Bottom line is whatever is played commercially no matter what it is, will always rule the charts. For alot of people this is the only sounds that they are aware of. Not to say I dont like commercial radio I used to hate it, but once I started making beatst myself I started to have more respect for it, but theres nothing like a raw drum beat behind some nicely sampled pianos and what not.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
man, lets not start this hard vs soft thing again.....

stress, you a champ and i respect your work, but to say that "sampled beats sound 100000 x times better than composed beats, UNLESS you're using live instruments, not wack ass neptune presets" is a little much...

i think my beats hold up pretty well against sampled tracks i would say. in fact, there have been more then a few times where i have been told "dope sample" or asked where i got the sample from, although i did it all myself. the reason why? i have a knack for composing beats, plain and simple. who gives a rats if its a preset or not...... that doesnt make it wack, anymore then a dope sample makes the beat dope- its all how you freak whatever it is you do by whatever method.

as far as the neptunes, well, i dunno, it depends..... tracks like "Senorita" and "bobby james" are different from "grindin" and "luv you better" is different from "lapdance" so they really have a varied sound outside of the SOUNDS and STYLE of SOUNDs- it depends on the track.

and just blaze is on this "punchy kick-hand clap" vibe- just set the bpm at 100 and do triplets with a shaker and oula! instant just blaze (for now... unless he's referring to the "moms prayin" style of just blaze) track... it aint that hard to create that style.

DJ Reflex

Turntablist, Producer
ill o.g.
Cryin out loud! I start this thread this time yesterdaym, check bak today and look at this! this is the illmuzik fam! although unfortunatly we had some yet more soft v hard arguments. I gotta thank yall for ur input, been a great help. I have to say the triton does seem to have a great influence on today's hip hop. I was considering a fantom s but im going to have to take a better look at the triton le.
As for my vocalist, i agree that she shud like my stuff, and she doesparitcularily my strutcturing its gettina a happy measure, as copenhagen said its just gettin that party vibe. im gonna see wot pieces of retro kit i pick up 2nd hand. i wud like the, retro lookin micro korg, ive tried it in music stores and the sounds would blow u away! U wudn't believe they came from such a small box with keys like a toy keyboard! its wicked!
N.U.G that article was dope! man it helps! lets you into some of the less known production stuff, like what order people like to produce in: eg. beats then bass then keys etc.
beatmkr1: i agree with alot of what you say, but it doesn't take away from the fact that their stuff is gud!
Cold truth: man I respect what you say and if u can use live instruments in that way then i respect you for that. i have a friend who does that very thing. It gives you an edge, exploit it.
Aaaannnyyywwwwaaayyy! Thanx all! gonna get tapping and pressing, and gonna go get a mic, (that would help!) lookin at the new red 6 mic, looks good!
be sure that once work is done ill get the traks up on soundclick!
Word!

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Neptunes beats are fungus to hip hop. Yea, I'd love to get that amount of money for a beat that cant take more than 20 min to make bridge and all. Thats whateva though. The amount you get paid for a beat dont mean shit towards how ya shit aounds. If thats true, than you must love them puff daddy 80s sampled joints since he stacked dough off a them garbage "beats". One.

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Originally posted by cleverwon
Neptunes beats are fungus to hip hop. Yea, I'd love to get that amount of money for a beat that cant take more than 20 min to make bridge and all. Thats whateva though. The amount you get paid for a beat dont mean shit towards how ya shit aounds. If thats true, than you must love them puff daddy 80s sampled joints since he stacked dough off a them garbage "beats". One.

Get the hate out of your system!!! why are you so mad about this shit..... I really hate when people start pointing fingers (not just you cleverwon) look wether it's puff the neptunes or swizz beats grabage or not they all have something we don't....Now everyone can go on and on about the producers they think suck but that's not stopping them from makin money and it aint puttin shit in your pockets..I have no problems with anyone voicing their opinion but when it gets turned into what this has become it's fuckin retarded Cleverwon you say fuck the neptunes.... What have they done to you.... are they stopping you from getting into the game??? Is anyone producer holding you back??? No body is stopping you from getting money..... Don't take this as a personal attack because it's not I fee we as people who want to get into the game shouldn't point fingers if someone sucks they suck and if they get paid for it so be it..... And everyone rember this "everytime you point a finger you're pointing 3 back at yourself"!!!

TrustNo1

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Really, no one can hate on anyone that has had more success then them... whether they think its "authentic" or "garbage" REGARDLESS. if the neptunes are making millions, its cuz they are doin SOMETHIN BETTER than us cats sittin in the basement. problem is too many producers are cryin and moaning bout how ill they are and how they didn't get their "break".... producin is like rappin, its not all bout ur "talent" or ya "skillz" its about how you play the game and how well you can handle ya business. these guys are makin money for a reason.

C

Copenhagen

First, Cleverwon, when you just post "Fuck The Neptunes", that's of no contribution to the thread, wherefore it was deleted.

Second, and this is to everybody, if you hate the Neptunes and their sound, why the fuck do you waste your time by entering a thread named "Gettin the Neptune Sound"?

Third, Dj Reflex didn't ask any of you what you thought of the Neptunes, but how he could get their sound, so why have so many of you bothered to use this thread to air your negative thoughts about them? Why not stick to the matter and try and help Dj Reflex with his question. Isn't that what Illmuzik is all about?

Fourth, Neptunes might not be your cup of tea, and that's okay, but they are talented both musically and business wise. If you can't see that, then that says more about you than it does about them. I think it's okay that you don't like their stuff because it doesn't appeal to you, but is that a reason to waste your time airing your negative thoughts about them here?
Why not spend that time trying to make a difference if it really bothers you so much that you have to bitch about it here...as the old saying goes, "don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk"...why not act instead of speaking?

Last but not least, I come here to learn stuff, share production tips, have a good time etc, which I thought was the thought behind Illmuzik, not to get my mood ruined cause people can't stop bitching...

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Dog, don't get it twisted. I aint hating on them for getting money. I just aint feeling their beats, I dont really literally "hate" mufuckas i dont know. Its just fucked up that in order to get paid nowadays you have to appeal to the majority. Since the majority are the radio listeners, thats who they cater to. Shit, more power to them. Like I said in that quote, I'd love to get that mone for them beats. I meant that shit man. P.S. - Fuck the neptunes!! lol

C

CooGi_dice

"Its just fucked up that in order to get paid nowadays you have to appeal to the majority. Since the majority are the radio listeners, thats who they cater to"

its allways been like that, when was there ever a time in the record industry where things where "pure".
and the neptunes have allways had the same style and sound, they dont cater to anyone, its the record industry who controlls radio, and its the record industry who made it into "you caint have a good selling albulm or a hit record unless you get the neptunes on a track".
they make good all around music for a wide variety of genres, they write catchy hooks and catchy melodys.

for neptunes sound:
jv 2080 for realistic sounding insturments, triton for evrything else....
no samples, only drum hits, and try to keep them clean...
listin to one of there songs that u realy like, and try to recreate it using what you got.

members online