FL vs. Reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I personaly swear by any program, i know what they can do and ive tried em all intensively and i think anyone with at least 3 years of experience in producing has the knowledge to work with any program at first sight of it cuz you know each should have the basic daw features. From that ive drawn my conclusions on which platform i perform best, best workflow, ease of gui and shortkeys which is, imo, Logic and FL. Logic being a fully customizable environment and FL having simple features enabling a big variety of options via its sampler options and set of good instruments (sampler,slicer, granular, the other plugs i'll never use). I dont like all the fx and dynamics but i often use the fl comp, filter and the channel strip eq's and the filters embedded into the sampler (and other instruments using the fl filter) because they sound much more musical then the reason filter engine for example which to me makes a big deal in regards to creativity. All the other signal processing isnt relevant to me and the NOOB story about FL sounding bad fires back on a noob when he searched any forum on google for mixer interpolation. FL has optional settings for real time rendering (monitoring) in order to function properly on any system, reason doesnt, it operates at the setting of the your soundcard/drivers so you need to stick with the minimum requirements (reason1/2 was pretty stabile on any system, 3 isnt). The same options are also there for exporting to wav or mp3, which you'd obviously would set to the highest resolution being sync depth 512 (as of FL7). Logic's dynamics and fx are pretty good, im missing out on a good limiter but as for the rest its spot on, the logic tape delay is hella addictive. Logic audio engine has been confirmed to be better than PT, which i think a lotta long time logic users already new since ive still seen a great deal of studios running PT HD system running logic aside, simply converting PT projects to logic.

Ive known cubase for a long while, basicaly because there wasnt any better midi platform available back in the days, so i can runn with pretty much all steinberg software and i'll recommend it to anyone starting out on tracking/recording and midi but in the end, compared to fl or logic, i think the gui isnt that good because you dont get a good view of the arrangements or a good hotkey system so i can call up screen quickly (i dont use 2 screens, the less i have the better and with fl and logic i never fellt the need for a 2nd monitor). Other than that, sx is a vst friendly environment perhaps better than FL though the "current project" folder has a way of accesing parameters very fast. I think both accept all plugin formats, at least FL does. Midi/Audio wise it operates very easy since its basicaly has been the template for all platforms using a pianoroll, most of these platforms also maintain the use to the same kind of shortkeys and combos with alt, shift and ctrl. The typical functions under these shortkeys copy/paste/duplicate, increase/decreasing notelength while holding mouseclick, shifting notes by quantize or off quantize while holding mouseclick (using ctrl and dragging would shift notes/selections to quantized resolution, while shift and dragging would move notes without quantize, the same way of operating counts for notelength aswell. The Alt key or one that is not using these features (shift,ctrl) would act as a copy paste, meaning, you'd select a note or selection of notes and drag them to a new location while holding alt which would drag a copy to new location, leaving the selection in place). These ways of using shortkeys and especialy the afformentioned ones work for FL, Cubase, Logic, Reason, Nuendo and probably each other platform.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
Hmmmmm. I don't think it matters as much as how creative a beat maker you are. You can use a ukelele, a banjo, a turntable and a cassette deck. If you are madd creative, you can make hot shit with "weird" instruments. Just my opinion. As it goes, I use FL Studio exclusively but I am entertaining buying and learning Reason since I can use them together. Just more tools at my disposal. I started with Ensoniq EPS 16+, then to the ASR-10 and now FL. I will keep prgressing and adding to my arsenal. Pretty soon, I will have all the equipment I used to use and future pieces that I come to like and add them with what I use now and it will just be a better rounded me. Ya see? PEACE!

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
u buggin man...it dont matter what u use man wtf is wrong wit u acting like a triton and other keyboards give u more options...programs like reason and fruity are designed to be user friendly ill take Reason any day over a triton motif or phantom its how u use the equipment ..and u callin niggas dumb for sayin that but u the one soundin off acting like u run out of ideas and creativity on a software program it just makes no sense i seen things done on reason that sounds like they did with keyboards and synths......O wait u can connect keyboards to reason and there are synths man ..it dont matter what u use plain and simple

dj360_iNfInItE1

ill o.g.
u buggin man...it dont matter what u use man wtf is wrong wit u acting like a triton and other keyboards give u more options...programs like reason and fruity are designed to be user friendly ill take Reason any day over a triton motif or phantom its how u use the equipment ..and u callin niggas dumb for sayin that but u the one soundin off acting like u run out of ideas and creativity on a software program it just makes no sense i seen things done on reason that sounds like they did with keyboards and synths......O wait u can connect keyboards to reason and there are synths man ..it dont matter what u use plain and simple

Just who is this rant directed at, BTW?

C

Chubb-E

I think you're still learning, cuz this is also a cliche story...blablabla...put a lock on it, come back on topic in 5 years and look back upon what you said, in the meantime, use whatever you want...

ur absoloutly right formant024.
(so your telling me that somebody that composes rock music shouldnt use a mpc?)
to me it sounds like futureproducers talk. lol imo i think this thread needs to be closed asap.

dj360_iNfInItE1

ill o.g.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Status
Not open for further replies.