FL vs. Reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

da_rippa

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i done argued this with plenty ppl. I've been on fruity since 3 thru 7. This past month I made the transition to Reason. In my opinion almost everybody should make that move. I said almost because some reason might not fit certain ppl. Since I been on reason I noticed i been lookin for something but I aint notice what it was when I was on fruity. Real talk reason opened me up to something i shoulda been striving for. I had soundfonts for fruity for days but it still feel like a strictly techno program. Reason is whatever u want it to be. If you hip hop, rock, or tryna do a symphony Reason can handle all that. I been reborn, perfectin my sound since i done made the move so look out fo ya boi. I know its a learning curve when u switch what u use so if my beats aint soundin rite just let me know.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I think you're still learning, cuz this is also a cliche story...blablabla...put a lock on it, come back on topic in 5 years and look back upon what you said, in the meantime, use whatever you want...

O

open mind

Formant (n)
One who brings meaning, form, shape.
One that limits, determines or defines.

i agree but this dude looks confused lol maybe u could be cleareer so he can have calm 5 YEARS! ahahha

O

open mind

ok then listen bro.

saying fl vs reason bla bla bla... is like saying

da flute vs da guitar. it just dont make since.coz it doenst matter what instrument/tool u use to make muzik its the end result that counts. u could make a sick beat with a flute or with a guitar or with BOTH.

so what format told ya is like this. after 5 years u'l understand that what u posted doesnt make since couse its not what u use its what u make of it.

peace. homie.

da_rippa

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
both yall sick if yall believe dat. it's common knowledge that different hardware or software got way better capabilities than others. that's exactly why yall gone be here five years later to look at da subject. Im on da move though. You tellin me if someone offered u a triton u'd say "Na I can do it on fruity". Come on dog dont play slow. 9th wonder: decent producer uses fruity. Timbo: one a da kings uses a variety of keyboards but not fruity. Like i said if its for you den do u but some ppl are into evolution my dude.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I hear what you're saying.... I started using Reason a few years ago but I never switched over because I'm so used to Sonar and older Cakewalk products, so I ended up using Reason only for certain things, like creating my drum loops. However right now I'm slowly starting to switch over to Reason because like you said, it can be whatever you want it to be. Plus for me I get the best of both worlds because I can just rewire it into Sonar.

I used Fruity back in the day but me too I got the feeling it was more of a techno program, maybe it's just me. To each his own, some people prefer Fruity, others Reason.

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
yeah i agree what the ripper said it doesnt matter what you use
i have a mpc2000xl and about 2or 3 years ago i mad the switch to reason
i havent put it down since then and im always learning new things on it
but the moral to it all is that i thought i would be able to mimic my style i had with the mpc
but i was wrong
iv'e tried fl and i just think that reason is more siutable for my needs and my style of creating
and im comfortable with reason
fl does suit me and im not a fan of fl
but it doesnt mean that i cant do the same thing s on it
it just means if some one was to offer me an asr-10
i wouldnt' be na i have reason or fl
ill jump all over that free asr-10 quick!!hahah
so it doesnt matter what u use it how u use it and how comfortable and familar you are with your tools
i know some one who uses the sp drum machine and a s50
and he makes ill beats but if i give him reason or fruity loops he cant make an ill beat
i rellize about 10years ago that its all about how comfortable and familar u are with your equipment
i learn that in my early days of producing
so my friend like they said if u come back 5 years later u will realize that what u said doesnt make sense
in time u will relize it when u start to mature more as a producer that its doesnt matter at all
its all about the finished product

O

open mind

but the moral to it all is that i thought i would be able to mimic my style i had with the mpc
but i was wrong
iv'e tried fl and i just think that reason is more siutable for my needs and my style of creating
so it doesnt matter what u use it how u use it and how comfortable and familar you are with your tools
and he makes ill beats but if i give him reason or fruity loops he cant make an ill beat
i rellize about 10years ago that its all about how comfortable and familar u are with your equipment
so my friend like they said if u come back 5 years later u will realize that what u said doesnt make sense
in time u will relize it when u start to mature more as a producer that its doesnt matter at all
WORD!

Deadbeat

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I use Reason. With that being said, anyone with half a brain knows that it's all in how much time and effort you put into learning how to use whatever software/hardware you're creating with. It takes all kinds, and it's all in the man behind the production. I've seen plenty of people trash on FL/Reason/Sonar whatever, but come to find out they never so much as read the manual or gave more than a half-assed effort to learn the tool.

And start visiting a library friend, because the way you type is fucking painful to decipher. When we all have to strain to get the message you're trying to convey out of your garbled text it's automatically tougher to take you seriously.

da_rippa

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
but i was wrong

pimpin u missin da point just like Open mind and that first dude dat replied. if u read my original post it says that not everyone should be on reason. my point is I use to be a fruity user and it wasn't what I was looking for. Fade and a couple ppl cosigned it and they been doin for more than five years. I been doin it for more than five years. another five years aint gone change that man its just facts my dude. some ppl are looking for a more versatile platform than fruity and im puttin da word out that reason might be that from them. if u satisfied with FL then be that. dont waste your time on a reason discussion. you right its about the finished product since I know fruity better than reason my fruity beats sound way better than my reason beats seein as I've only done under a dozen on reason. But its about the potential. maybe in five years yall will understand that. Yall need to understand its a difference between efficiency and just making it.

scandal

Maker of Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 178
You tellin me if someone offered u a triton u'd say "Na I can do it on fruity". Come on dog dont play slow.

Yea but I would take the triton for its sounds and not its sequencing. To me FL Studio is one of the most powerful and easy to use sequencer/sampler. Its like the MPC, people dont buy it because of its sounds, its a sampler and sequencer. You really got to take it for what its worth, while reason may have better preloaded sounds, its fault in my eyes is it is to self contained without the use of vst's. While some may just rewire, why when u can save processing power elswhere. My I got a Triton and Fantom and mophatt and I seqence them all in FL Studio, just like one might do through an MPC. and on your comment on Timbo is true, but the reason he has all those keyboards is because he messes with mainly preset sounds, but he dont sequnce on all them boards at the same time, he prolly got one method of sequncing that works for him. If we are talking preset sounds reason would win hands down, not disputin that, but as far as potential FL kills reason with vst capabilities and in my eyes its sequencer is superior to reason. But then again to each his own.

da_rippa

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea u rite scandal. Fruity is good for trying to accomplish things that you would do with and MPC as far as sampling and sequencing. I can't deny that. That's one reason I was sayin its more fit for certain people. me i'mt just tryna expand so when i get the money to have an mpc and my keyboard of choice being a beast on both frujity and reason gone make me that much more developed.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Reason Vs. FL

Written By: 504MusicMan - Platinum INC Entertainment
© www.dirtysouthbeatz.com

(Practical Differences Between FL Studio & Reason 3.0 When Making Hip Hop Music)

1. I if u would like to use VST Plugins you can not do so with Reason 3.0 because its not supported
(at the moment, not sure if they ever will support VST's. We will have to wait and see)

2. Reason, has synthesis technology that allows one to "shape"
sounds into whatever the producer wants the sounds to be like.

(FL Studio also has synthesis ablities, however Reason has its own proprietary synthesis called Grain Table with the Malstrom device that is in a class of its own)

3. Fruity Loops does not have all the built in Hardware Racks and the flexibility to Route / Re-Route Devices to one another. Reason gives its users the ability to COMBINE Sound Modules (Devices) to enable Music Producers to create unique Sonic Sounds never heard of.

4. FL Studio 6 now ships with over 2 GB of Samples that are ready to be used. There are plenty of samples that ship with the product you can use out the box no matter what genre of music your producing. (Unlike Fruity Loops the older version of the product that had more Techno sounds then anything.)

5. Reason 3.0 has a Ton of factory sound banks that ship with the product that make it easy for u to open the box and start producing Hip Hop & R&B music immediately also. Sounds such as there HyperBottom Bass is infamous in Hip Hop n R&B tracks. Also there are lots of instruments loops, drum loops, and combinator patches that will get you up and running making beatz in no time.

6. Reason 3.0 has Samplers that do so much that i can't even explain it all on this 1 page. We will be releasing Training Videos that will cover the intricate features of the Samplers in Reason in the near future.

NOTE: The Samplers in Reason are more of what Propellerhead calls "playback devices". With traditional samplers you would have the ability to record Audio & you can not record audio with these samplers. However, you can use Recycle 2.0 to edit your samples and export them as REX files so you can use within the Reason application with the Dr. Rex player.

7. Reason 3.0 has a "Browser" feature that allows one to quickly access there samples / preview the files before loading in Devices (Samplers). You can also make Shortcuts to eaisly access files that you use often similar to how you can create shortcuts within Windows operating system.

8. Fruity Loops has sounds it ships with but you can add your own custom sounds.
And you can render in MP3 FORMAT. REASON DOES NOT SUPPORT MP3 Format.

9. Quantization in Reason 3.0 & FL Studio are real straightforward and easy to use. However, with the USER GROOVE feature in Reason you can quantize your midi data that you input (play from your keyboard) to have the same feel of a already loaded drum loop that is playing in the Dr. Rex player. Matter fact you can get the USER GROOVE from any device pattern that is loaded into its Sequencer making for a real user feel groove!

Robotic sounding tracks are a thing of the past once you understand how & when to (and when not to) quantize your tracks).

10. You can save your favorite sounds & folders as Shortcuts within Reason browser feature to easily call up sounds you frequently use.

11. You can create custom patches for mixing & mastering your beatz once they have been completed using the Reason Combi suite.

12. Both applications support the Propellerhead technology REWIRE, which will allow you to send out your Audio signals from these applications directly into a DAW program such as Cubase 3.0 or Pro Tools. There are tons of music production software applications that support REWIRE so this makes both of the applications very flexible in its usage.

13. Reason 3.0 and FL Studio allow you to customize the look and feel of the application by allowing you to change the skins, backgrounds, backdrops of select items.

14. The ReDrum drum machine within in Reason is a BEAST. Reminiscent to a Roland 808 from the 1980's you can Sequence drums on the same level as any piece of hardware on the market today.

15. The Step Sequencer on Fruity Loops is pretty tight too, but there are a lot of features on the ReDrum when used in combination with other devices that does things with drum patterns that will blow your mind!

16. Both Reason 3.0 and Fruity Loops (FL STUDIO) support the use of SoundFonts so that opens the doors for tons of other instruments & samples to add to your arsenal when programming beatz.

17. You can layer zones with Reason 3.0 and have multiple instruments play from a predetermined range of keys on your keyboard.
You can even play for instance the Flute with your Left Hand & the Piano with your Right by using Zones within Reason 3.0

18. There is a built in Vocoder within Reason 3.0 that will allow you to create your own Roger Troutman funk type of vocal arrangements with your samples.

(FL Studio has a SPEECH preset with a bunch of Vocoder sounds built in already. But Reason 3.0 gives you more flexibility & creativity abilities with its Vocoder device that you can combine with other devices such as SCREAM and do some off the wall sound design)

19. FL Studio is generally understood to be a "easier" program to use for noob music producers. The application dosen't look as intimidating as Reason 3.0 from what I hear from noobs that prefer Fruity Loops.

20. Reason 3.0 has a "learning curve" but if you could teach yourself how to use a computer, the internet, and all the other technologies in the world you surely can grasp onto Reason 3.0 if put in the effort.

NOTE: If you want the option of programming drums using "PADS" to have a more hands on feel.
Look at purchasing a M-Audio Trigger Finger or Akai MPD 24

M - Audio Trigger Finger (Is Pre-Mapped To Work Flawlessly With Reason 3.0 and Ableton Live 5)

Personally: I still use the AKAI MPC 2000XL with my music production software, because these products weren't out at the time when I bought the MPC.

Technology has come a long ways just in a few years (since 2004). So its cool you all have options.
But I still feel all "real" Hip Hop producers should have at least one MPC sitting around the studio, ya know. lol
Ask Pete Rock, Dr. Dre, or Kanye West to name a few. :)

FYI (For Your Information) Professional FL Studio 6 Music Producers incl.

Dem Franchise Boyz, 9 th Wonder (Jay Z / Beyonce producer), and Crime Mobb

FYI (For Your Information) Reason 3.0 Music Producers incl.

The Hip Hop Sampling Innovator – Marly Marl , Daz Dillinger, (The Dogg Pound / So So Def Recording Artist) , and 504MusicMan (me of course!)

Hope you found this guide to be informative in your quest to make some Blazin Beatz!

There are alot of more features & abilities of these products that we did not cover. This is just something to get you going in the right direction!

The Bottom line is you can make HOT beatz with either or, its just a matter of you figuring out which one is better for you.

Peace,

504MusicMan

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
I think you're still learning, cuz this is also a cliche story...blablabla...put a lock on it, come back on topic in 5 years and look back upon what you said, in the meantime, use whatever you want...

I am with you on that one. I used to swear by Reason, but moved onto logic and can pretty much do the same things and MORE! Just use whatever works for you and experiment with alternatives if you feel you have reached the ceiling for a particular program and want more.

Status
Not open for further replies.