FL Studio and Dual Monitors

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
As most of you know... my Acer Laptop recently died on me. So I decided to go ahead and get a desktop pc. At first, I thought having dual monitors was just a cool thing, no real benefits as far as production but I was wrong! Im sure that I'm not the only one that thought that as well.

Having 2 monitors is cool, yes, but it's made working with FL so much easier. It's even cut my workflow down, not having to search or toggle through windows has made a BIG difference. I'd imagine that it would help using any DAW pretty much.

It doesn't stop there... I used to have a hard time watching tutorials on youtube and trying to work along with it...opening two windows was cool but then I had to cut both screens in half to watch the video and what I was doing on the other. Dual monitors solved that problem. It is worth the money buying a dual graphics card and an extra monitor if it's in your budget. I can't stress it enough.

Monitor 1
[URL="

Monitor 2
[URL="

You can see that I have 3 eq's open, 2 edisons, FL Keys, FL Limiter, Waves MaxxBass and a Multiband Compressor all open and I don't have to search or toggle.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Yeah...two screens is pretty awesome..... I used to love using pro tools with it....having my mix in one window and the tracks on the other...it was awesome..

Being said...my 21.5 inch screen is perfect for me...No need for two screens at this time.

Tutorials, Dac? ... You're finally learning how to make beats...I'm proud of you.....practice, practice, practice!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
It'll be worth it BountyP, there are a lot more advantages than I named. I had dual monitors on my first setup but my production game was fairly new at the time.

Here's a pic from the good old days...these were 20"LCD's my new ones are 23" LED's

[URL="

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
man im running record on my labtop and i have the hdmi going to my lcd screen tv!! and i luv it 2 dec i def can relate on the youtube thing i been there!
but it help so much in the work flow especially in record in reason and doesn't matter as much cuz u don't have to toggle threw the ssl mixer or the rack or the sequencer! i wish i could of got a desktop but to the standard of my life style i was force to go with the labtop but when i get settle im onto the desktop!! i miss having a nice work station place for my music!

diskrete

Roving Beat Maker
ill o.g.
i got 2 26" tv's for my setup

Attachments

• 264921_1876155588396_1376402472_31842862_2137886_n.jpg
    264921_1876155588396_1376402472_31842862_2137886_n.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 943
L

Ljepotica

FL studio + dual monitors and midi keyboard

Can someone please help me out.
I have recently bought a MIDI controller keyboard and installed fl studio.
I realized that i can't use the keyboard if the program is minimized or not active. I thought that attaching a second screen would solve the problem.
It is way easier to watch tutorials on one screen and have fl studio on the other, but the problem is when i want to pause the tutorial or rewind it (cause i'm just learning how to play the synthesizer) the keyboard has no sound.
One time something happened and i was on youtube and could still play the keyboard, after i minimized it, i coulnd't hear it again.

Google didn't help me either :/

I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Yeah having 2 screens won't do anything for your sound. It all depends on how you've got your soundcard configured in fl studio. Open fl studio, click on OPTIONS then MIDI Settings, make sure your keyboard is "Active" and "Enabled".

59850546.jpg

Then click the AUDIO tab under MIDI and make sure the light beside "Auto Close Device" is OFF

74286246.jpg

Don't pay too much attention to the rest of my settings (like my buffer is set very high because I have the ram to support it without any latency problems, just do the things that I mentioned above and you should be good, if not let me know.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
You're right and I'm pretty sure that I'm going with RME...but on that same note...the ones I've got now are doing the job! No problems at all, I just want to upgrade for my Focals.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
ok, I just changed my mind...my sales engineer just told me to go with the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and the Focals. As far as the interface goes, he said the Focusrite will give me more bang to my buck plus the liquid channels will offer me so much more color. I'm NOT changing my mind again...I will have it by June.