FL Studio and Dual Monitors

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Granted, its a bang for a buck but its still a budget solution. Im not your sales engineer dude, i dont have a backstock i need to clear :) Sure you dont want to talk things over ?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
wow, no comments from dp or formant? must be a good decision...considering.

Ha! I'd be really disappointed in you if you'd hit up those saffire converters...

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I will give you that the Liquid pre's are pretty cool and the focals are the right choice! But man, RME is pretty great.

Im not your sales engineer dude, i dont have a backstock i need to clear

oh and as someone who was once in the trenches at Sweetwater, I can PROMISE this was never the case. The mantra there is ALWAYS do what is best for the customer PERIOD!

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Well if you had a mac then that would be a consideration. HA

at any rate, don't worry about that, you will be able to get firewire cards for a long time! But if you are really worried get an USB interface like this.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FirefaceUC/

But I love how you just showed how Apple continues to push technology forward :)

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I've told you, my next PC will be an Apple BUT having an Apple has nothing to do with it really...Firewire isn't Apple only, why would Thunderbolt be? PLUS, yes it's encouraging that Apple is pushing technology forward but at the same time it's a back and forth thing, trust me, Microsofts answer to Thunderbolt is not far away. The whole one product is better than the other debate is dead with me...just like analog vs digital, FL Studio vs Reason, Maschine vs MPC, all of it is beating a dead horse.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Dac, thunderbolt gear will be high end, ill doubt it will be in range of what you want to spend right now. There is a simple fact that osx is much more daw friendly when it comes to audio/midi support, this has nothing to do with i/o's themselve but things like midi over lan or aggregated devices are still not present in windows. Not saying you should buy a mac but you should be able to get mac pro spec'd pc/hackintosh running a 2500k under a grand.

Beating the deadhorse thingy; its what you might call it when you dont know. The key is knowing what you need, in most cases when not recording/mxing a full band you dont need jack shit. You want low latency on midi but not on audio. Honestly, how many channels will you ever record at once ? 1 ? 2 ?

@DP; ive been a year in sales too, mostly when people had a budget and were looking for quality i'd considered it a complimentary service to advise on product we didnt stock. To me recommending an i/o from 2009 that you want to buy in June means hes not looking at the newest tech you could afford.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Ok, so again, both of you know what I'm doing...my question is very simple...what do I need? I'll worry about the cost, the ethics and all of that... =)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
well dac, i can say do what i do, aes interface, fred forssell converter and barefoot mm27s but im kinda doubting you want to take it that far so this is why the likes of us ask for a budget :) Second you have to ponder the following;

- How many inputs do i need on average or at most, even if the occassion of such a project is seldom you must decide the level of adaptivity to future projects. Do you think 8 inputs is enough or even to much ? What gear that you use now will be stationary in your setup ?

- What do you expect from the interface ? You want good grade audio or do you want a budget solution. Surely the 56 will provide you with a lot of features but the core of the card isnt up to par with rme. Ofc its a bang for a buck but from my point of view its still half stepping. If you want to upgrade i'd suggest upgrading in quality, not in features but the basics.
Also, the fact i know what you like to see added in your setup are also the things lacking in the 56. Focusrite was really good back in the day and even though i cant really judge the machine as i havent heard it, focusrite lacks the software. RME will give you digicheck software which is, afaik about you, just the thing that will make you smile

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_techinfo.php?page=content/support/en_support_techinfo_digicheck
http://www.rme-audio.de/support_techinfo.php?page=content/support/en_support_techinfo_totalyser

Total mix, if you're going to need it, is afaik, the best routing software. Working with rme before and upgrading from it had us worry about one thing in the studio, not having the ease and flexibility of totalmix. SSL has a much better i/o but their software isnt even close to totalmix.

- do or dont you need a mac :) Ive made several statements before emphasizing upon remarks from noobs about FL studio. Granted that Logic gives me a better daw to work with when mixing bands but you're making beats and probably a lil recording here and there. IMO! FLstudio with a high end setup is equaly as good as PT or Logic, so if FL is your thing and your not needing 24channels of i/o theres no need to change habbits.

- getting the best out of your upgrade does mean you should do some room treatment and plan speaker placement for the focals. I can help with your room if you have dimensions of your room or better, a sketchup file. Its best to totaly rebuild your room but its not alarming if you cant. Adding a few panels in the proper spot will benefit your upgrade opposed to doing nothing at all and doesnt need to be expensive at all.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I can't imagine ever needing more than 8 inputs so that would be more than enough.

All of my gear will be stationary.

My expectation is good grade audio out of my interface.

Mac vs PC - My next PC will be a Mac and I'll probably go 100% PT then because I use it now so I'm pretty familiar with it.

I bought my current PC about a year ago...here are the details...

82254028.jpg

Room - I've been looking into IK Multimedia ARC first, but my room is 15ft X 12ft with a one slant vaulted ceiling. The lowest side is 8ft (running along the 12ft) and the tallest is 10.5ft. I already have a ton of panels, there just not up.

Thats it! =)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Here's a little sketch, i suppose your room would look like this. If you get google sketchup then i can give your the file.

dacs room.jpg

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Yup thats it and thats exactly where my desk is...lol. If the file is the picture only, I got it...full sized. If theres more let me know.