Do your prefer sampled or real-time hip hop production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
as long as it goes through some kind of discrete analogue signal path I'm happy to do lots of things, sampling with hardware, sampling with software, switch on the legacy cell or the virus. I like real faders n knobs though, n displays n patchpays and the option to look away from the monitor and still keep working.

M

micjinx

if there's soul behind the music it dont matter to me. if your just playing a few loops over and over again than thats wack, just the same as making 3 key melodies just to fill in space.

if u think about it there really isnt much diff between choppin a sampled loop then playin em out on keys and pads or scrollin through a thousand or so keyboard presets and sequencing the predesigned note on ya software..

the roots or dj uneek is much better than jazzy pha. the same as peterock or madlib is better than eminem's sampled beats.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
FistFulloDollaz said:
true hip hop doesnt come from sampling other peoples music....lmao...gotta do ur history buddy

not tryin to get into the war just had to drop some FACTS not opinions

.....and one more thing that I noticed, the only people that be saying that true hip hop is not sampling mess is people who compose

Yo, that's real man! I wanted to write the same thing myself but I didn't wanna catch to much heat.

Hip-hop music is defined. Try to find a heavy metal band who makes their music with a Triton. Even though you can make it sound as real as you want, it will never be the real thing, and real hip-hop is sampled. PERIOD.

The sample is the instrument of hip-hop, it's THE instrument.
And you don't need any music theory to learn how to play it, fuck that shit.
Play all the instruments in the world, but as long as you haven't mastered the single most important instrument in hip-hop, then goddamnit u ain't Hip-Hop.

In the words of Pete Rock and CL Smooth, If it ain't rough, It ain't right!

anonymous_103

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
its all just a matter of opinion. i mean, hip hop is hip hop. there really isnt anyone who can write the rules and regulations on how it should sound. well maybe hurk. maybe not. i love both though. sampling has such a soul full rich and full sound when its done right. but yet, using real instruments and synths is just as dope too. it takes a lot of talent to do it both ways. and props to the producers who got those skills. i give maad props to S1 from the strange fruit project. he does both samping and the whole "real time" thing and his beats are always ill. Dilla too.

ill o.g.
Vince said:
Yo, that's real man! I wanted to write the same thing myself but I didn't wanna catch to much heat.

Hip-hop music is defined. Try to find a heavy metal band who makes their music with a Triton. Even though you can make it sound as real as you want, it will never be the real thing, and real hip-hop is sampled. PERIOD.

Play all the instruments in the world, but as long as you haven't mastered the single most important instrument in hip-hop, then goddamnit u ain't Hip-Hop.

EXACTLY

a JACK of all trades, is the KING of nothing

if people want all these live instruments they should just start a band or some shit

what made hip hop, hip hop was that the instrument was a turntable (samples),

I always felt like a majority of this composed stuff belongs in another Sub-genre of hip hop

Once again the only people yelling that sampling isnt true hiphop is composers, its like dag I wanna be hip hop too

in my book if you wanna be considered hip hop you gotta at least own ONE turntable whether u sample or not, if you never fucked wit a TURNTABLE you dont got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of

...just so u know I like a lot of composed beats also

SeveredTies

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
FistFulloDollaz said:
in my book if you wanna be considered hip hop you gotta at least own ONE turntable whether u sample or not, if you never fucked wit a TURNTABLE you dont got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of

What if your a B-Boy or a Graf artist, do you still have to own a turntable?

nah, im just playing around!

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yea hip hop originated from DJs cutting up OTHER PEOPLES records using the breaks to make their own music for people to dance to ! thats a form of sampling grandmaster flash isnt famous for playing the xylophone !

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
I prefer beatz with sampling. That's my preference. True Hip-Hop makes you move or feel a certain way whether it's sampled or not. I embrace it all. As long as it sounds good, I am down with it. I have heard shitty sampled beats as well as shitty realtime stuff. Hip-Hop is Hip-Hop but some of it is dog shit.

anonymous_103

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
so you mean to tell me that every beat produced by J-dilla, pete rock, dre, hi-tek, nicolay, a grip of old school defjam tracks, and the roots that didnt involve a sample isnt hip hop? that hip hop should not expand on a musical level, but stay limited to records? yeah, hip hop was pretty much created by juggling breaks of a track. thats true, but who is to say that it needs to stay that way? whats wrong with actually playing instruments. i mean a lot of those records that were sampled come from funk, jazz, and soul which used live instruments. whats wrong with using the actual instruments if you got the skill to freak them and make them sound tight? are you saying that ?uestlove isnt hip hop because he plays the drums? why do producers like kanye, just blaze, an so on sample and have keyboards and sound modules? no diss to noone, but i highly disagree and think that mentality limits hip hop from expanding. im all for being true to hip hop and seeing it grow. as long as it aint commercial, im cool. im really against bias opinions. peace

anonymous_103

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Vince said:
and real hip-hop is sampled. PERIOD.

this is what i was referring to. personally, i do both. once again, i aint dissin. just putting out my opinion

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
anonymous_103 said:
so you mean to tell me that every beat produced by J-dilla, pete rock, dre, hi-tek, nicolay, a grip of old school defjam tracks, and the roots that didnt involve a sample isnt hip hop?

No, I'm not saying that. and Nicolay is a new producer so I don't really know why you put him next to people like Pete Rock.

Anyway, there's a difference on using Live instruments with samples and having a digital orchestra.

anonymous_103 said:
its all just a matter of opinion. i mean, hip hop is hip hop. there really isnt anyone who can write the rules and regulations on how it should sound.

That's were you are SOOO wrong! Hip-Hop music IS defined. Hip-hop music does have a sound and it comes from the samples. The breaks is the sound of hip-hop and anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand hip-hop music.

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Vince said:
That's were you are SOOO wrong! Hip-Hop music IS defined. Hip-hop music does have a sound and it comes from the samples. The breaks is the sound of hip-hop and anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't understand hip-hop music.

But it actually isn't defined cuz if you trace back those samples they come from all other types of genres. Jazz, soul, funk, rock, blues, Carribean rifts, Indian sounding samples, and just stuff from all over the world man. So you can't say Hip-Hop's sound is defined when people sample from all over. There is no Hip-Hop sample that a person from another genre could sample.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Vince said:
.... and real hip-hop is sampled. PERIOD.

I have a very hard time with that kind of thinking... that's what makes it that a style cant evolve. You probably are from the EastCoast, cuz it's true, Hiphop originated from the East (NY, if I recall...) And so they used vinyls to make their beats.

But why did they use records? Cuz they were broke. They didnt have the money to afford a band or anything like that. That's the reason. Does it mean that we need to stay stuck in that era, now that instruments are affordable and when a whole bunch of programs can emulate instruments? I mean, it's all right to put a lil sample here and there to have a certain style or a certain sound, but it's not a obligation.

If you listen to west coast hiphop, it evolved quite differently than in the east. Their style is closer to 70s funk bands than that hard boom bap eastcoast style. And it IS true hiphop too. I'll listen to a track by BattleKat as much as a Track by Dj Quik, Daz, Dr. Dre, or as much as any East Coast beatmaker.

The craftman does the craft, not the tool.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
sYgMa said:
Hiphop originated from the East (NY, if I recall...)

Since you don't even know where Hip-Hop's from I won't bother with writing another long reply. Cause that's the biggest problem with people getting in to debates, they don't know what they're talking about most of the time.

and No, west coast rap ain't true hip-hop. West coast is west coast, that's how it's always been. And for your information, Battlecat samples as much as he use live instrumentation.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
true hip hop comes from inside not jus kus u sampled a record. ya'll fools argue over such stupid shit. if i had the right shit i could record myself playin an instrument in say a jazz style and if i recorded it on some old school equip and mastered it the same etc etc and then sampled it u wouldnt know the difference.

and i swear if fuckin "real time" catches on ima fuckin stab all of you for using it wrong

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Vince said:
Since you don't even know where Hip-Hop's from I won't bother with writing another long reply. Cause that's the biggest problem with people getting in to debates, they don't know what they're talking about most of the time.

and No, west coast rap ain't true hip-hop. West coast is west coast, that's how it's always been. And for your information, Battlecat samples as much as he use live instrumentation.
... Did it came from the east or not? YEAH IT DID... I was just making sure so someone doesnt tell me otherwise... if it didn't come from the East, well then just say where it did come from...

And I was taking Battlecat as an exemple because he's been doing his thing for quite a while. Yes, he does use samples but, as you said he uses it as much as he uses live instruments. THAT was my point. It doesn't matter if you use samples or not. Music is music. Tight is tight... And if hiphop is just EastCoast boom bap to you, well, all right. But that's your definition of hiphop, not THE definition of hiphop.

And I really dont get why your getting all caught up in this. its just talk man... I didnt fu*k up one of you boys, I'm just talking and stating an opinion.

That 1st remark you put there was kind of rude in my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online