Correct Rapping \ How To Flow On Beat

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
ok look this the best advice I can think of alot of people (like me at first) try to just put 4 counts in one bar and think that its gonna make it sound good because the "counts" are on point. What you should try doing is slow down get some instrumentals and listen to ALL the instruments in the beat theres so much you can do with a beat vocally as far as what to ride, for example alot of rappers ride the melody of a beat rather than the kicks and snares for hooks so in a way theyre kinda sub-singing. Once you get an understanding of counts,bars,melodies, and notes youll find ya life will be alot easier writing ya lyrics. Also try freestyling to build up your own personal flow, when youre good enough to freestyle decently on just about any beat stop listenin to your favorite artist (that means jay pac nas all them) because whats gonna end up happenin is your gonna start over analyzin what they do and try to emitate them and end up with a sort of knock off style which is not what you want, instead find your own way just keep findin new instrumentals keep freestylin and take note to what you do naturally when you hear certain sounds. Now Ima tell you this is how Ive been trainin myself but like most people here said there has to be some kind of natural talent you have to have a since of rythm also remember that this isnt a 1 2 3 step guide to mcin this is just suggestions a 1 2 3 guide does not exist and you really have to find your own way hope I helped.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
One of my friends used to say: "if you want to learn how to flow, take a beat and try to count with style(1,2,3,4,5.....). That way, you'll put the emphasis on your flow and not on what you're saying... after that, when you think your shit is tight, you can try with lyrics....

if you can't even do it with numbers, just forget about it...

jnxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i wouldnt even know where to start, how to flow is a question i never heard asked before. there's so many elements to a flow, such as overflowing pass a snare, or starting the next bar before the kick. it come's natural with practice...if ur meant to flow...u really gotta teach yourself

A

Azzyre

back again

Craig Gantt said:
Hey look I got an idea post up something that you spit on and we can help you alot easier from there

GENIUS IS BACK , just got a new nick but listen i think i now know how to flow
can`t believe what a stupid question . Im sorry

damn i found that tread and its now nearly 2 years ago hm
the last 3 months i really was into it but most times there is now motivation
but may you wann check this i 'h cutted some peaces
the first file ist not complete but it would be coo if you give me some feedback

http://21018.portal1.clanserver4u.de/mix.mp3

feedback please

ahm n im soory my englisch is bad like before haha damn but i promise to approve it

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
You're flow is on point to me... of course, you could still practice to improve (like anyone, anyways) but it's good to my ears...

too bad I dont understand german...

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
juss gotta write ur rhymes on the beat perfectly....ur rhymes shud ride the beat like another instrument...

A

Azzyre

thanks i never said it's perfect im practicing but thanks for listining

you are right you can't understand the message but you may tell me how it sound

maybe someone like to make a track or something like that with me im always searching for new connections coz im afraid of the german scene

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
My advice...

Start a rhyme book and write in it everyday. Right about whatever, just improve your poetic skills. Once you have the language down and are ready to spit, don't try to literally ride the beat, get a feel for it and rhyme over/through it. And most importantly practice cadence. You don't want to be monotonous on the mic. You have to emphasize (or de-emphasize) certain words or lines in order to tell a better story to your audience. Cadence adds more feeling to your words.

I do agree that true rapping talent is innate in some peeps, but others can learn to spit at least as well as some of the mainstream rappers out right now.

Hope this helps

Ctrl

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Azzyre said:
maybe someone like to make a track or something like that with me im always searching for new connections coz im afraid of the german scene

what about the german scene? How is hiphop doing there? what's to be afraid of?

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
GeNius Gregg said:
hey,
im a 16 year old german cat, trying to make some rap shit , im rappin since im 13. im just listening to underground like black opps and bosten act and so on. maybe one of u cats can help me: last time i always rapped off beat.
can u give me some tricks 'N' ideas on how to flow on beat?
how many words in line? (and what about the snare hits...).
im pleased someone can help me. thnx.

Well being that I'm kinda tight with the flows and I occasionally write for some other "MC's" I can tell you that the reason that you flow off beat is because you don't
practice enuff. You should memorize your lines and the more you look at the paper
the more it will slow you down. You wanna practice so much that you can say the rhyme
at any given moment. Obviously if the tempo of the beat is very fast, you won't be able to say your rhyme to that tempo, but in my opinion the rapper with the best timing over a beat is the Notorious BIG. You could study some things he does to stay on the beat and please don't copy his style be YOURSELF and you'll be aiight!

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
get the rhythm burned onto your soul, then the flow will come natural...

yeh thats bullshit init.

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
rapping with no beat at all forces rock solid rhythm.... without it you'll sound like dog shit.... keep a metronome in your head man.... i learnt rapping fruit picking and living on a farm aussie style lol....learning to rap with a metronome inside your head will mean you'll be able to rock other time signature (3/4 5/4 7/8 etc.) which is something very few rappers can do

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
if you can get real fuckin hurt in life and rip an accapella for like 10 minutes on some fire/heart shit and then bust the remote into the fireplace.. then you need help

A

Azzyre

eh yo you d better checked the whole tread now 2 years passed new name and im really afraid that i ever asked that question now it really sound stupid

you may give me some feedback for my stuff i think im now nearly able to flow tuff enough
(the first one ist not really complete -the doubles are not yet ready and its a row cut)

na sygma im afraid of the german rap scene coz everyone thinks theye'r are the german diplomats for me it sounds really ridiculous but i try to do my thing

check me http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=32JZZYDM8738T03WV1N5VX1JMR

it would be koo if ya check my stuff i know ya really dont unterstand much but check it
thanks genius

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
heard your rhyming and it sounds like you rhyme to the beat, especially during what sounds like the hook. ( can't tell cause I can't understand German though I listen to Rammstein) I rhyme so check my rhymes if you want. Anyhow, it depends what your trying to do when rhyming.If your trying to actually say something you'll need to fit a lot more words into a bar(usually 4 beats in hip hop, which is almost always 4/4 time). In that case I don't concentrate 2 much on multiple rhyming. Or you could concentrate on novelty and rhyming to beat like a guitar player of singer would do a solo. Like concentrating on making your multiples fit the beat. Or you could rattle off multiple after multiple to sound nice/ to a beat that pounds tight/on the mic I bounce like/ a motherf#$@ clown might/ (cause i suck) There are so many different routes to go and you just have to experiment to find which one fits your style. Like Shadeed said "just be yourself"

About the talent vs. skill debate. I think that many peope are born with talent but are lazy as hell. So others who are not born with talent and love what they do can develope skills WAY past those who just have talent and don't cultivate it. To me, to say so otherwise is a form of prejudice or discrimination. Like saying white people can't dance or asians are smarter than other races or blacks have rhythm. Shutup please!!! I've met white people that can dance, blacks that are into rock and have no rhthym when dancing, and I'm asian and dumb as hell. Got held back in high school cause I did not have an affinity towards books.

People can do anything and learn anything they want to learn and I would never be one to say "You either got it or you don't" to someone as advice or as a statement.

members online