College Degree

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
classic said:
hmm intereseting, yea those clearnces work well, but they are very regional, like a clearnce is golden around here (maryland DC VA) becasue there is so much goverment contracting and interaction. If i take that same clearnce down to Florida, its not worth nearly as much.... I would say the common demonatator(as with any job) is experince and connections,

trinidad
I forgot to mention, if u want go to grad school in a techinal field, and your a minority, you can pretty much write you own ticket, there is an EXTREME shortage of minorities in IT and engineering feilds ,let alone people that wanna pursue a graduate degree.

they will basically throw money at u. I dident have to pay a cent for my graduate education and maryland schools are expensive as hell

Just an idea

Clearances are definitely not a regional thing, the country is at war and the defense industry is growing everyday, if you have a clearance (and the required skillset), companies will pay you to re-locate to their area.

As far as taking the clearance down to Florida, believe me you can make GOOD money
down there bro. I know quite a few defense companies that set up operations in FL,
and are you telling me that you wouldn't be set with a position paying 65k and up when
the cost of living is sooo low??? Hell, you give me 45k in Florida and I'm chillin with a house, a benz, and a 'Lac down there homie!!

That's a good point about minority grants and scholarships, people don't apply that's why they work 6 jobs just to make it thru!!!

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
o-a-ksavage said:
That's tight man, I'm bout to be a freshman playing DB at UC Davis. I played corner in high school (16 picks in two var years get off me), but I think I'll probably play safety in college. I'm redshirting this year tho. Did you play in college?

Damn Dawg thats some good shit. 16 picks in two years will turn heads real fast. That is very impressive. My question is why them assholes kept throwing your way? If I was still coaching college ball, I would be after you right now.

Yes, I played four years of college football. I played Dawg Safety(strong safety). I played two years junior college in MS. Then I got a full scholarship to UAPB. I had 5 picks, 11 breakups and 8 sacks and 231 tackles in my two years in junior college. (I played on special teams too.) Oh yeah, two block field goals. At UAPB, they moved me to corner, I was second string cornerback my junior year( I was backup to Dante Wesley, who now play for the Carolina Panthers), I still had 5 breakups, 41 tackles and a fumble recovery. ( I started in the nickel package) My senior year I started at Dawg Safety, I was blitzing 50% percent of the time. I was 6'0" 205lbs. I ended my senior year with 86 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 picks, 7 breakups, and a fumble recovery. I ain't even going to bring up high school. I was a Beast.

Damn you brought back some memories.....I miss that shit.

Redshirt is good man. It gives you time to learn and grow and you still have all four years. I wish I would have redshirted when I when I went to senior college. That would have gave me an extra year to sharpen my skills for the league. It was already hard coming out of a black college, SWAC football conference.

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Good shit man sounds like you were a player. But about colleges recruiting me, strangely I got basically zero offers. I got looks from Davis, Stanford and a couple others but that's really all it was, looks. I don't even have a scholly at this point, I have to earn it, all I got was guarunteed admission for now. As a junior I had 7 picks, the most in the league, but I got lightwieght hated on in all-league voting and got second team. I think that's what really hurt me. As a senior I had 9 and got unanimous all-league, as well as firt team all-metro, but i guess it was really just too late. It's never been easy for me in athletics to get my respect, but it's all good, i'm used to it and kind of like it that way. Gotta earn everything.

It sounds like your situation was similar, had to work for it. Nah but it's tight to hear of someone else on here who played ball, you got any advice for me?

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
o-a-ksavage said:
It sounds like your situation was similar, had to work for it. Nah but it's tight to hear of someone else on here who played ball, you got any advice for me?

Don't let all the awards and shit discourage you. From what I see, that shit is only making you a better ball player. I can already tell you are a competitor, to have 9 picks at corner on any level is some very big shit. To tell you the truth, if you keep your head on straight and keep fighting, I can see you playing on Sunday. Don't ever get the BIG HEAD and act like you the shit. Stay humble and always strive for improvement. Always strive to do bigger things year after year. Set your goals higher, train harder, and think smarter than everybody else. If you got the skills, the scouts and agents will find you.

My secrets to success at defensive back was
1. stay in competitive shape....DBs run all day....never forget that.
2. Jog at least to 2 miles everyday after practice.
3. Do five hundreds situps or cruches everyday morning and night. You can move better without the love handles and fat ass stomach. If its already flat get it flatter until it can't go no more. For a DB, the core area of the body is the key. You have to twist and turn all day long.
4. Keep your legs strong....the stronger the legs..the more power you will have tackling. And most importantly...back peddling...stay low and on your toes.
5. Keep your arms strong...the stronger the arms...the easier it is to pull a player down.
6. DBs should never be overweight. No DB should weigh over 210, depending on the height.
7. For your footwork, get you a jump rope. Take the jump rope and jump for about ten minutes a day at a steady pace....not too fast and not too slow. DBs are like boxers, we are the best athletes on the field. We have the true talent.
8. Do drills to improve your footwork. Spend time working on your feet work. It is very important.

Damn boy...you got me coaching again..........PM me, I got secrets for the position.
I played DB from 9th grade until my senior year in college. I got mad secrets.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
word i got a degree in communications from Univeristy at Albany in New York ... good jobs in communication/marketing are sparse these days man let me tell you... especially in nyc... sall good though no one ever said it would be easy..