College Degree

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I was wondering how many of yall got college degrees and if yall working in that field, I just Got my BA in Communications and Graphic Arts, finding a job is killing me though what about yall???

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Thats good to hear.. I noticed mad people with degrees be strugglin I really conteplating the teacher route as i get a masters but i dunno

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Bachlors- managment information systems & computer science- Flordia State University
Masters - Information systems- Universtiy of Maryland

The job market for IT is flooded right now in most east coast metroplotian cties DC,NY,Philly boston etc...) if u wanna make that good money in IT u gotta either go to a small town or go out west

currently ive been job intervewing in NY and shit is fierce, im bascially having to make about 55,000 a year which is about 15,000 to 20,000 below my market value in other places. Basically if u live in the east coast and do IT, you gotta take a pay cut......

My advice for u, if u got time and the resources get the masters degree, espically if u plan on pursing music, a graduate degree will set you apart and allow u to open doors that most producers will never get a chance to, Personally, ive been able to do ALOT of things that most producers cant becasue of my education and resources . Having that graduate degree is almost like an insurance policy.....

class....

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Bachlors in Computer Information Systems '01

Im in Ohio, but it took me 9 months to find a job in my field, I just worked at Best Buy for the mean time. Im a programmer now and it has its good days and bad days. Im tired of corporate america already and only been working for three years now. Its good money thou. Just keep lookin and apply for everything you see, because once one interview calls they all will, thats what happened with me. No interview for months, then I had 4 in one week.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
My lil sister is headed off to a School down in GA for majoring in graphic Design I would have thought that its easy to find a job with that Major??? WOW but Classic the masters is an insurance policy but being a worker bee in IT (programming, engineering, admin) 98% of the people I know getting paid really well have no Masters....unless you are talking MGMt.....and engineering you need a PHD to really do well......so Masters is definitely a fallback it does not really do a lot for you as a worker bee though...hell I got folks doing IT with very little College but lots of experience and training making 70-85k and more and that NY salary is real Slim Jim.....I seen Wall street tech jobs above 100k.....I investigated my move also....(as a worker bee....maybe you need to consider what you are doing in IT as far as the Role....I am a network engineer and I also do programming too.

classic

ill o.g.
yea ur right BIG D but u gotta seperate programming from applcation development & system intergration
Programmers and certifcations are a dime a dozen, hell im in charge of a team of programmers and a couple just have certifcations

But when u get to the higher level stuff like people soft ERP's(which im working on now) or large system desgin, redesgin, migrations, intergrations etc.... Thats where the education comes in hand,
u can teach anybody with an anyalitical mind to write code, but desiging and implementing a full busniess system is a totally differnt story.... that invloves much more then anaylitical knowlege, u gotta understand busniess processes, (accounting, finance,HR) be able to prevent scope creap, as well as come up with detailed speficiations for the programmers to follow.

I think the reson why things are hard for me in NY is becasue im not going for the low level progamming stuff, im pass all that, im looking at mid to upper level application devl, system intergration postitions which are alot harder to catch

Programmers tend to be on the low end of the totem poll in the IT field, they are easy to find and very dispenseable.(i know personally i was one for years, i still gotta do the shit too)

class....

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
classic said:
Programmers tend to be on the low end of the totem poll in the IT field, they are easy to find and very dispenseable.(i know personally i was one for years, i still gotta do the shit too)
class....

Yeah, Class nothings like being on the low end of the totem poll :) LOL

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Big D Graphic Design is a pain in the ass for real cuz at the entry level the pay is super shit and also its a field where skills take u father than school and on top of that any good job asks for at least 2 year of exp. thats y i double majored in communications it took me an extra year to finish but fuckit i am doin my masters it is like security cuz thats a hell of a thing to fall back on mine is either in edu or marketing

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
Im gettin' my BS in Graphic Design in December. Dats a pretty competitive career.

At times i think it was a dumbass move on my part to be in graphic designs but it was either be a graphic designer, an artist (which is even worse), or get into the music. Everything else im not good at.

Im at crossroads right now cuz i dont know which one is gonna make me some real money, graphics or music. I have no idea where God is gonna place me, but somethin' gotta happen or ima be a broke ass bum by the end of next year.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
In a year or so, i'll have my college degree in education (high school math teacher)...

1 year.... that a fu**ing long time...

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
In the IT game, you would do yourself a big service if you find a company that will sponsor you for a clearance secret and above. The clearance takes around a year to complete but most companies will put you on something for an interim basis.
Once you get that, you won't have to worry about your salary or finding a job for that matter, companies pay top dollar to those that have it, if you don't then you gotta get certs, and basically know what you're doing inside-out to land a job.

classic

ill o.g.
shadeed said:
In the IT game, you would do yourself a big service if you find a company that will sponsor you for a clearance secret and above. The clearance takes around a year to complete but most companies will put you on something for an interim basis.
Once you get that, you won't have to worry about your salary or finding a job for that matter, companies pay top dollar to those that have it, if you don't then you gotta get certs, and basically know what you're doing inside-out to land a job.

hmm intereseting, yea those clearnces work well, but they are very regional, like a clearnce is golden around here (maryland DC VA) becasue there is so much goverment contracting and interaction. If i take that same clearnce down to Florida, its not worth nearly as much.... I would say the common demonatator(as with any job) is experince and connections,

trinidad
I forgot to mention, if u want go to grad school in a techinal field, and your a minority, you can pretty much write you own ticket, there is an EXTREME shortage of minorities in IT and engineering feilds ,let alone people that wanna pursue a graduate degree.

they will basically throw money at u. I dident have to pay a cent for my graduate education and maryland schools are expensive as hell

Just an idea

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
classic said:
trinidad
I forgot to mention, if u want go to grad school in a techinal field, and your a minority, you can pretty much write you own ticket, there is an EXTREME shortage of minorities in IT and engineering feilds ,let alone people that wanna pursue a graduate degree.

they will basically throw money at u. I dident have to pay a cent for my graduate education and maryland schools are expensive as hell

Just an idea

I neva thought bout that thanx man imma definatley look that up, my sister went to columbia for free and basically is getting a free masters there too, u know of any resources man??? that would be great cuz bank of america aint cutting it for me.

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
Got my A. A. in Education in 2000 and I got my B. S. in Health, Science, and Sociology in 2002. My first job was a college football coach at University at Arkansas at Pine Bluff (defensive backs). Then I left to teach (Physical Science) and coach football (defensive and special teams coordinator) at a high school in Mississippi. I found out that I didn't want to teach so I went and got my real estate license. I became a real estate agent, soon after that, I became a Juvenile Counselor for Pulaski County, Arkansas. In 2007, I plan to open my own Real Estate Agency in Little Rock, AR and go back to coaching college football, that shit was fun. Thats my plan if this music thang don't work out.

Just keep beating down doors mane. You will find a job, that can't deny that paper(degree). You just have to go in there with winning on your mind.

Listening to everybody else.....I think I need to take my ass back to school and get me a 100k a year job. You lucky bastards, they didn't have majors like that at my university.

classic

ill o.g.
trinidad said:
I neva thought bout that thanx man imma definatley look that up, my sister went to columbia for free and basically is getting a free masters there too, u know of any resources man??? that would be great cuz bank of america aint cutting it for me.

Well there is the GEM fellowship which is one of the many things i applied for
http://was.nd.edu/gem/gemwebapp/public/gem_01_100.htm

honestly just do a google for mintoriey scholrships, or find out what school u want to go to and hit up there scholorship page, there are sssssoooooo many minoritiy schorships out there , there should be no reason that u pay anything for school, u gotta start early though

Ohh yea and hip up ur job!!( bank of america)I know for a FACT they have a great tutian reinburtment program, most large companies do... They wanna pay for your education that makes u more valuable to them go to their coperate webstie.

class...

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
classic said:
Well there is the GEM fellowship which is one of the many things i applied for
http://was.nd.edu/gem/gemwebapp/public/gem_01_100.htm

honestly just do a google for mintoriey scholrships, or find out what school u want to go to and hit up there scholorship page, there are sssssoooooo many minoritiy schorships out there , there should be no reason that u pay anything for school, u gotta start early though

Ohh yea and hip up ur job!!( bank of america)I know for a FACT they have a great tutian reinburtment program, most large companies do... They wanna pay for your education that makes u more valuable to them go to their coperate webstie.

class...
good looking on the link class acctually i work for bank of america now their program only pays 4g's ayear and u have to stay 2 years with the bank after u complete classes that sukz cuz i a real good offer comes u have to either wait or pay back what they give. I might teach they pay off loans u know.

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Equelizer said:
My first job was a college football coach at University at Arkansas at Pine Bluff (defensive backs). Then I left to teach (Physical Science) and coach football (defensive and special teams coordinator) at a high school in Mississippi.

That's tight man, I'm bout to be a freshman playing DB at UC Davis. I played corner in high school (16 picks in two var years get off me), but I think I'll probably play safety in college. I'm redshirting this year tho. Did you play in college?

members online