Befpre the Music Dies - Documentary on how the talent has disappeared in music

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
One of my fav Docs ever. I recomend this also!

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yea... its been posted here... i think in its entirety... good repost though... it made me realize Clear Channel help fuck up the radio, starting in 96... it all fits once u see this vid.

hulu.com has the whole vid:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/62945/before-the-music-dies

da relic

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Its tripping me out that nobody is even really commenting on this. Yeah its a dope video but what about what the video is saying, or it's contents?

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
I agree there's millions of talents out there around the world. However, this is 2010. Talents today is much different compared to talents back then. Music has changed, the industry has changed and so has the artists. As the years go by, people do not want to listen to the same style of music over again. Music is like the universe. It evolves. Maybe for the good or the worse, but everything is changing. Yes, we do have to appreciate and respect the old talented classic artists from years ago, but, I think the most important talent that one can have today is the talent to please the crowd and to market oneself to the public's eye.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
the thing that bothers me about music today is it doesnt really sound like that beautiful interaction between the instruments anymore.....It's just really fucking loud parts stacked on top of one another. Watching something like the BP3 tour live with the band will make you want to throw out your ipod cause of the contrast. (maybe thats just me). The emphasis isnt on music anymore, in any genre. Thats why i would rather pay to see a top tier artist when they are in town with a band over downloading countless mixtapes and albums every month, at least then you know the band will be on point.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Many people think hip-hop killed music ha ha

Personally I think we are getting back where we need to be, with the advent of the internet and the removal of the need of record labels. The talent rises to the top and you can build your own community around your music.

Of course Soldier Boys still sucks but whatever.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Many people think hip-hop killed music ha ha

Personally I think we are getting back where we need to be, with the advent of the internet and the removal of the need of record labels. The talent rises to the top and you can build your own community around your music.

Of course Soldier Boys still sucks but whatever.

Exactly but its taking SO LONG!! lol I want a new golden era NOW! ... but seriously I hope it comes soon, theres alot of weening off the old system that needs to happen before everything is smooth again

Queenofex

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
This documentary is amazing, informative and a huge EYE OPENER. Full of helpful information about whats behind closed doors, what we don't see and shit this just felt true and real. I def took a few things to heart from the doc and I think any one in the music industry should watch this.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Exactly but its taking SO LONG!! lol I want a new golden era NOW! ... but seriously I hope it comes soon, theres alot of weening off the old system that needs to happen before everything is smooth again

Dude, we are in that new golden era right now...It just don't sound like you thought it would. Take the record labels out the the equation and you get Drake....think about it.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
naw, we aint. It'll get better.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
All of you guys really bring up some good points... My concern is more - do we have the time for things to change and get better? To me, music is dying every second that we are in this transitional period, and to me, music is dying faster than the system is recovering. ?uestlove made a very scary claim when he said that "The Roots" is the last black band signed to a major. Im a big Roots fan, but they have made 14 or 15 albums which means they are nearing the end(totally from a time wise viewpoint).

What I'm seeing is - the labels had WAAAAY too much power and control over the industry, artist, sells and ALL other aspects of the music game. Now with internet file sharing, the over saturation of mp3 devices, the NEW "garbage" artists, and even the dying of home stereo systems will leave us in a position where one day we will wake up one morning to NO music at all and wonder where it collapsed on us at. The labels are having a hard time coming up with a "system" that will work for this economy and environment, it even appears that they are waiting and watching to see whats gonna happen.

Bottomline, I think we are in more trouble than we realize.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
My pops and I were watching a doc on centric a few weeks ago called Wattstax. I never seen it before, it was filmed I think in 75'. About a concert in Los Angels with Issac Hayes and other artist on Stax records. The Barkays were such a dope band, I went and bought the CD just to hear some more of their material. Back to my point is that none of those artist on Stax were easy on the eyes the women or the guys (not that im looking at guys lol), but they all had major league talent and could sing. Today its all about looking the part. Yeah Ciara, Ashanti, kerri Hiltson etc.. are fine as hell, but you would never ask them to sing accapella. I think R & B has taken the biggest hit when it comes to talent. Besides alicia keys who out there really has talent.

members online