Beat This! - June 2-3, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The next competition will be from June 2-3rd! See the information below.

Signups

The signups will be on June 2nd at 12pm ET/EST, and end around 8pm ET, or until we have enough contestants (whichever comes first - depending on the theme). Voting will be for one day, on June 3rd, where the results will be posted the same day.

Check out the Beat This! ranks: https://www.illmuzik.com/beat-battles/?cat=bthis

*Note: check out https://time.is/ to find out the correct time difference for your timezone.

The Signup page is here (it will open up on the signup day)

Theme: EXPERIMENTAL
Time Limit: 2 minutes
Vocal Track Allowed?: YES

• You must make a beat that has an experimental feel to it.
  • This means you need to try new things and do something no one else has ever done before.
  • Your beat can be crazy or mellow, just as long as you treat your beat as an experiment!
  • Time limit is 2 minutes, vocals allowed!

===========
*NOTE: From now on there's a criteria called "vocal track allowed?". It will be yes or no. If it's "yes", this means you can have a full vocal track with your beat (acapella, for example). You can still have occasional vocal snippets (but don't rely on them too much).
===========

You can use whatever sounds you want, samples, synths, just remember to read the rules for the rest of the restrictions. What the judges will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness!

Voting

If you are competing, you will be able to vote but not for yourself. DO NOT TRY TO CHEAT! I will be watching for cheaters. This means you cannot sign up under different names or get your friends and family to sign up either. If you are caught cheating you could be banned.

Beats

All the beats will now be displayed in a random order and without any names. All you will see is: Beat #001, Beat #002, etc. This is so that there is no favouritism when voting.

Rules

If you're not sure about the rules, read this thread.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the competition, please post them in here.

beatthis_flyer2021060203.jpg

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ideas for anyone not sure:
  • Put your snares where the kicks go. Like Snare-Kick, Snare-Snare-Kick.
  • Reverse your bassline.
  • Reverse everything.
  • Use a crazy time signature.
  • Sample elephants having sex.
  • COWBELL!!!!
  • Use farts instead of snares.
The options are endless. I don't know why anyone would not want to try all these things. To me it seems like a fun theme. Or maybe you guys are too set in your ways...

Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

Battle Points: 153
Ideas for anyone not sure:
  • Put your snares where the kicks go. Like Snare-Kick, Snare-Snare-Kick.
  • Reverse your bassline.
  • Reverse everything.
  • Use a crazy time signature.
  • Sample elephants having sex.
  • COWBELL!!!!
  • Use farts instead of snares.
The options are endless. I don't know why anyone would not want to try all these things. To me it seems like a fun theme. Or maybe you guys are too set in your ways...

Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons
sounds like bleeding ears and headache to me tbh... :ROFLMAO: i get the idea, and your positive thinking,.personally im afraid i will end up listening to some junk (52 minutes to be exact :LOL:. waste of time.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
sounds like bleeding ears and headache to me tbh... :ROFLMAO: i get the idea, and your positive thinking,.personally im afraid i will end up listening to some junk (52 minutes to be exact :LOL:. waste of time.
I get it. I just think it's a great way to experiment with different sounds. I mean, it doesn't have to be anything drastic like robotic metal clanging or whatever but just something simple like having an odd time signature (or just other than 4/4).

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Now it comes to, where do you merge experimental, with also being a banger.

How do you make sure your track has some sense of 'hiphop' without sounding too 'normal'.
How do you make it sound weird new wild and experimental, without it falling off the edge of the earth and being a mess of sounds.

Matter fact, half peoples entries sound like an experimental mess of sounds as it is!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.

How do you make sure your track has some sense of 'hiphop' without sounding too 'normal'.
How do you make it sound weird new wild and experimental, without it falling off the edge of the earth and being a mess of sounds.

Matter fact, half peoples entries sound like an experimental mess of sounds as it is!
This is the challenge! I think this theme if anything is to have fun and maybe find something new that you might end up doing from now on.

Killer Queen Fun GIF by NETFLIX

I wont be entering guys...somehow trying to comeup with something without drums n stuff completely sucked the inspiration out of me, even for my own music stuff..really strange. Got me so brainless ill be draggin loops n stuff from now on :LOL:
"oof
when the bag is full of loops
tragic"

Battle Points: 1

ever heard of Autechre? a lot of their stuff is what i'd call "experimental hip-hop". all instrumental, no vocals, probably the craziest shit you've ever heard... but their hip-hop influences are plain as day (because they usually put their kicks/snares/etc in the right places).

these are pretty straight ahead:

...and then there's stuff like this:

EDIT: @Fade man, that "update your media player" spam link that pops up on the videos is some slimy bullshit. can you do something about that? never seen that before, i pity the fool that actually clicks on it. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

members online