Beat This! Competition - October 4-5, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
This is gonna be another dope competition. The amount of quality beats I've been hearing lately is inspiring. Salute, gentlemen.

I'm glad I've inspired so many of my fellow producers!
Sarcastic Step Brothers GIF by reactionseditor

VVS

Banned
Last battle I tried going out of my comfort zone and dabbled more into old school drum breaks and it didn't work out. This time around I'm sticking to my preferred style of production.
Hip Hop Dj GIF

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Last battle I tried going out of my comfort zone and dabbled more into old school drum breaks and it didn't work out. This time around I'm sticking to my preferred style of production.
Hip Hop Dj GIF
That's how we learn, right?

Last week I decided to make a Halloween-inspired trap beat CD to learn trap.

This week I relistened, and it sounds like shit.

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
it's interesting how different some mixes can sound on my headphones vs monitors.

Sometimes almost unrecognisable, or for some, what made them sound good is actually not present or is a negative when heard with different playback (and that can be on mixes that sounded good!) That goes for my own too.

I look forward to getting a more ideal monitoring situation. Though I don't do too bad with what i got, apparently.

VVS

Banned
it's interesting how different some mixes can sound on my headphones vs monitors.

Sometimes almost unrecognisable, or for some, what made them sound good is actually not present or is a negative when heard with different playback (and that can be on mixes that sounded good!) That goes for my own too.

I look forward to getting a more ideal monitoring situation. Though I don't do too bad with what i got, apparently.

Your mixes will never translate well to other systems if your room isn't treated properly regardless of how expensive your gear is. A pro tip is mastering on a pair of Avantone Mix Cubes. If your mix sounds good on these little guys...they will sound good on any system period. I would invest in properly treating my room before I invest any money into more gear but that's just me.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Back 2 Back 3rd place in the Beat This.

That's a decent show, consistent voted for.

Not quite where I want, but interesting because I knew how my beats could be better / were meant to be. Maybe what I would have added would be the extra juice for number 1

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Your mixes will never translate well to other systems if your room isn't treated properly regardless of how expensive your gear is. A pro tip is mastering on a pair of Avantone Mix Cubes. If your mix sounds good on these little guys...they will sound good on any system period. I would invest in properly treating my room before I invest any money into more gear but that's just me.
I know all this.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Congrats to everyone! Really cool beats. @SwayeeBoogie I voted for yours, congrats on bringing home the gold!

This was a tough one for me as I rarely sample jazz, but I think it's the first time I've ever had a trombone in a beat. It was fun listening to some jazz classics and I even found a cool band that does old school traditional jazz (what I sampled). Preservation Hall Jazz Band if anyone wants to check them out.

@Fade I vote for more themed battles :) (or maybe letting more folks post in sample flippage pretty plz :))

Status
Not open for further replies.