Beat This! Competition - January 11-12, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The next competition will be from January 11-12th! See the information below.

Signups

The signups will be on January 11th at 12pm ET/EST, and end around 8pm ET, or until we have enough contestants (whichever comes first - depending on the theme).
Voting will be for one day, on January 12th, where the results will be posted the same day.

Check out the Beat This! ranks: https://www.illmuzik.com/beat-battles/?cat=bthis

*Note: check out this site to find out the correct time difference for your timezone:

The Signup page is here (it will open up on the signup day)

Theme: Trap
Time Limit: 2 minutes
*Vocal Track Allowed?: NO
**Vocal Snippets Allowed?: YES

== You must make a TRAP beat! ==

===========
* VOCAL TRACK ALLOWED? This means you can have a full vocal track with your beat (acapella, for example).
** VOCAL SNIPPETS ALLOWED? This means you can have vocal snippets in your beat (very short vocal parts, for example). This is where you can also have an intro with talking (like from a movie).
===========

Voting

If you are competing, you will be able to vote but not for yourself. DO NOT TRY TO CHEAT! I will be watching for cheaters. This means you cannot sign up under different names or get your friends and family to sign up either. If you are caught cheating you could be banned.

Voting Criteria

You can use whatever sounds you want, samples, synths, just remember to read the rules for the rest of the restrictions. What the judges will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness!

Beats

All the beats will now be displayed in a random order and without any names. All you will see is: Beat #001, Beat #002, etc. This is so that there is no favoritism when voting.

Rules

If you're not sure about the rules, read this thread.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the competition, please post them in here.

beatthis_flyer2023011112.jpg

V.J. Retro

The silent beat assassin
Yeah same, think I’ve failed miserably with a trap beat but hey I’ve still had a go at it, can but try! :ROFLMAO:
lol. I actually made the beat last year when I was trying to sell it on Airbit. I was testing out to see if my trap or boom bap beats would sell. I didn't get any customers yet but I might try again. lol

B.Nevolent

Battle Points: 40
Hey wassup , Just finished a track for that competion but i don't think it is trap tune :p , maybe kind of lol .... We'll see what you think at the results
Lol right, I feel you bro. I’m not a big trap guy either, but it’s challenging me to go out of my comfort zone. My concept of trap is, as long as you have a 808 and hi hat rolls boom !

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
Whoever made the long distance love beat made it hard for me to vote. I like the samples you used way too much to not mention it. I'm not sure whether or not its on theme enough though. I'm not generally a trap listener so I can't rightfully say it's not, but when i hear that beat I don't think immediately, "This is trap music" This may be ignorance on my part. I grew up on backpack shit and still continue to this day to listen to it.

Be that as it may, I vote on a few factors, each more important than the one after, and that's important when comparing. . 1)I listen to figure out after the drop if I like it. 2) Does the beat before the drop sound good? 3) I skip ahead a bit to figure out if the beat has signifcant changeups. If you swap out some instruments, fine, but I'd like to hear your beat evolve into something 4) if those changeups happen how do they sound at the exact moment the beat changes? (If they're smooth, perfect, if not I'll keep it in mind but probably not gonna vote for it). 5) does it have a defined resolved end?

A lot of people don't add that to the beat. I think it needs to be there, despite the format. You can make a beat _____ amount of days to months prior to the contest, but if you're just going to cut it in place and leave it ending in an unresolved note or a fade out I'm not going to vote for you when someone else does unless your beat is substantially better than the 4 points prior. Its all about effort. Adding one note to resolve a loop isn't that hard, bonus points if you transition to an outro, but that's tertiary.

This one there's 3 that I would have liked to vote for, including the one aforementioned. A couple are close enough but didn't work out well enough, the one with the MJ vocal as well deserves an honorable mention. Like the beat, hate the MJ chop. Doesn't fit, and then it doesn't fit my voting criteria after the drop, which was pretty long for a 1:30 beat.

Go figure though, the last beat I hear is making me question which is my favorite. Still I have my answer purely on a mix standpoint. Mixed a little better than the last favorite and I would have picked it, the previous favorite one I listened to takes it for me.
Not that that means much. I might come back and explain my reasoning to each of you, no promises though. I don't know what sober me wants to do.

Last edited:

cahoay beats

Cahoay
Battle Points: 7
Whoever made the long distance love beat made it hard for me to vote. I like the samples you used way too much to not mention it. I'm not sure whether or not its on theme enough though. I'm not generally a trap listener so I can't rightfully say it's not, but when i hear that beat I don't think immediately, "This is trap music" This may be ignorance on my part. I grew up on backpack shit and still continue to this day to listen to it.

Be that as it may, I vote on a few factors, each more important than the one after, and that's important when comparing. . 1)I listen to figure out after the drop if I like it. 2) Does the beat before the drop sound good? 3) I skip ahead a bit to figure out if the beat has signifcant changeups. If you swap out some instruments, fine, but I'd like to hear your beat evolve into something 4) if those changeups happen how do they sound at the exact moment the beat changes? (If they're smooth, perfect, if not I'll keep it in mind but probably not gonna vote for it). 5) does it have a defined resolved end?

A lot of people don't add that to the beat. I think it needs to be there, despite the format. You can make a beat _____ amount of days to months prior to the contest, but if you're just going to cut it in place and leave it ending in an unresolved note or a fade out I'm not going to vote for you when someone else does unless your beat is substantially better than the 4 points prior. Its all about effort. Adding one note to resolve a loop isn't that hard, bonus points if you transition to an outro, but that's tertiary.

This one there's 3 that I would have liked to vote for, including the one aforementioned. A couple are close enough but didn't work out well enough, the one with the MJ vocal as well deserves an honorable mention. Like the beat, hate the MJ chop. Doesn't fit, and then it doesn't fit my voting criteria after the drop, which was pretty long for a 1:30 beat.

Go figure though, the last beat I hear is making me question which is my favorite. Still I have my answer purely on a mix standpoint. Mixed a little better than the last favorite and I would have picked it, the previous favorite one I listened to takes it for me.
Not that that means much. I might come back and explain my reasoning to each of you, no promises though
I 100% agree with you on the drop, reminds me of a corny spy kids movie. I also think the sample makes it avoidable to even rap over, even though that sounds like the point to this user.

NonxG

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 248
Hard to judge. One beat is outstanding for me but i wouldn´t consider it a trap beat and did not vote, despite throwin those fast triplets-percussions in i want to have sex with. Sounds like Timbo but way better. Dope. Something to discuss after maybe i´m wrong. Some fine trap beats, some who tried with good ideas but seemed to be strugglin makin it trap. Interesting round and for sure adequate zero points for me. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.