Beat This! Competition - August 21-22, 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 593
It was also expecting a lot of weed references. Surprised @2GooD Productions didn't enter!

Homer Simpson Simpsons GIF
i was surprised too

Congrats @HeadchangeHQ on the W good stuff. I didn't have to time to sit create for this one. Just took a listen and but my personal fav was @K-waz sounded like some ish smiff n wessun rapped to on some of their past joints. So, what have we learned @Armani well well well. All that trolling and you didn't even place in a 10 man field lol. I think they have handi wipes in the back for all that egg on your face. @Fade Congrats though.
200.gif
yeah yeah for sure for sure. your submission sounded great tho, really reminded me of john cage. wonder how it didn't place.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 593
Not that I'm the lord of opinion, been finding a lot of the results a bit wonky these days. Usually they make more sense.

@HeadchangeHQ - Well done on W. catchy sample, beat never feels to lock in for me, the mix that is. Feels like it's in a state of filter waiting to 'drop' and open up.

@Earsblower - nice beat, good use of sounds, all composed? If so good work. Is good work, not sure what feels off for me; might be that holistically there isn't cohesion between the sounds. And I think some of them are competing for which is the 'main', but all the elements are good, this could be a standout beat with the perfect mix. (I think this was the beat I assumed, in a world that made sense, would be 1st/2nd with my beat)

@K-waz - nice beat, I think the kick was too loud, or not blended well enough - kick timing also then felt a bit off on some parts. Otherwise it's really cool work.

@DJ Excellence - interesting beat, might have been what i voted for. Think the mix is a bit, the main music needs to come up in level, maybe give a bit of life to it too. (but, i also really love the kind of mono feel, is nice)

@Leopard Cohen - love the drum texture/mix. Feel like the music is a little low in the mix. Not fully getting as much 'reggae' feel out of the beat as I would like, it's there ,but not enough for me. But nice beat still

@Armani - did weed not make it out to iran? What's this Bollywood Marley. Had a feeling this may have been yours - oh, I never get as far before as to get to the reggaeton rhythm. Interesting weird rhythm you got going on. Rate you for the experiment tho.

@Heavy Door - You went on the world tour to india, took some ayahuasca in peru, saw some naked ninja mushrooms chasing you thru the woods, ran to jaimaca sparked a quick spliff, then fell asleep on the boat and drifted back to lost civilisations who didn't know which culture was their own so said 'yes' to all of them. Cool stuff tho

@Iron Keys - Dopest beat of all, obvs. Could have found a way to ease up a little on the airhorns, the 'pussyclaat' sample maybe tipped it a bit too far into cliché. Not sure what much else could have done with this one. Happy with mix.

@Jimulacrum - yes, that Jimulacrum bounce. Love it. Such a vibe. Bro, like I always tell you, keep doing your thing. Your music has real personality, 10/10 on your music's soul, it has a life. For this battle, beat is good, tho this is hiphop and with reggae feel, something gave me not hiphop or too much reggae, despite though fluctuating back n forth, really good stuff either way.

@PhazeLark - nice beat, the strings got proper 80s lush to them. Bass maybe needed to be eased off a bit or notched on its resonant freq.nice efforts, i think if you really found the heart of this record and let it lead more, it could have been really great.

Again, respect to everyone who entered.

Earsblower

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 100
@Iron Keys thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.

I barely have time to make those beats so obviously no, its not all composed. As for the harmony in my beats, I actually agree and this is what made me second think about using it in the first place so you do have it right my man.

Shame about the turn out this time, works just fucked me up time wise recently as I begun the beat but didn’t get back in time to complete.

Also don’t forget a lot jump on the ‘no themes’ but hold back on the actual themes that get you creatively out of your same old musical routine and help gain a wider skill set range.

For those that may have had a go and bailed out, dont coz we have all been there with something totally new.

Gonna listen now.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Shame about the turn out this time, works just fucked me up time wise recently as I begun the beat but didn’t get back in time to complete.

Also don’t forget a lot jump on the ‘no themes’ but hold back on the actual themes that get you creatively out of your same old musical routine and help gain a wider skill set range.

For those that may have had a go and bailed out, dont coz we have all been there with something totally new.

Gonna listen now.
Yeah I try to balance it out with themes but they're always a lower turnout. Then if it's just no-themes, there's all the "hey we need a theme" posts. :)

Earsblower

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 100

Gonna listen now.
Funny how the themes ones are actually my favorite and where I place higher.

I see @Iron Keys gave feedback so I skipped past his to give my own then I'll go back and read his because its interesting how we all hear music differently other than just personal taste.

@PhazeLark - Dope beat but very subtle on the Reggae for me. Elements where there though with the change up and guitar at 0.55. Thing is this is a reggae hiphop beat so its never meant to be 'too' Reggae. Enjoyed the beat and mix quality.

@Jimulacrum - Great Reggae starting vibe. Ok you've carried that on as is nice, and that dub delay sounds dope! Ended too quick, I was enjoying that, definitely had that Reggae vibe in full swing!

@Iron Keys - Blood Clot! Dope intro and dope use of vocals. Yeah man Reggae vibes indeed, stank face on this, got that vibe running throughout. Bang on with the drum selection too, Yeah Boi!

@Heavy Door - Fucking love the vocal intro with the witchcraft sample and can feel and hear the Reggae influence but way back in my skull after that over powering boom came in. Would be dope but drums not hitting and the bass is over powered and wrecks the whole beat. Bass selection is so key if you want it loud, I've been there as I experiment widely with it and it can make or break.

@Armani - Bass not for me, initially heard a Reggae vibe then it vanished quick. Sounded like someone on the ones an twos attempting beat juggling as an amateur, not sure what that was. Odd coming from you as you usually hit the mark but man as you said in my review...."Nah, Nah , Nope, not feeling" or whatever but yeah man unexpected from you.

@Leopard Cohen - It's doing the Reggae vibe in a way, but feel that's more due to the vocal snippets, melody / sample way too low for me, wanted to hear that up a few DB's. Drums cool and so one of the best basslines. Comes alive as the beat progresses just some elements low in the mix for me personally. Nice one on placing!

@DJ Excellence - Laid back chill hats, got the vibe down, dope.

@K-waz - Straight up fire! The mix is dope, drums went a little away from the vibe at times for me but dope Reggae man!

@Earsblower - Yeah man! Love this and the switch up's add so much more to this. Yeah this kept me interested start to finish, dope creativity here!

@HeadchangeHQ - Much Darker vibe, I like it! Great use of instrumentation to get that sound and all sounds great together in the mix. Dope.

I feel this Theme was a tricky one, damn fine job all, thoroughly enjoyed that shit!

@Armani - Bass not for me, initially heard a Reggae vibe then it vanished quick. Sounded like someone on the ones an twos attempting beat juggling as an amateur, not sure what that was. Odd coming from you as you usually hit the mark but man as you said in my review...."Nah, Nah , Nope, not feeling" or whatever but yeah man unexpected from you.
I'm ngl I have 0 clue how to create that "reggae" feel :skull: every reggae hip hop track I checked out was basically a hip hop beat with someone singing reggae over it. best I could do was stick a ton at the end of the reggae and hope I'd get away with it.

what'd u change bout the bass tho? too flat? ty for the review btw

Status
Not open for further replies.