Lets talk Linux

It sounds REALLY good. Its the only DAW that actually has a sound. Ardour on its own doesn't. But yea I have a love/hate for linux. Been playing with it since the 90's but I always run in to some show stopping issue. At least on the desktop.
I have the same issue with every new iteration of windows. I usually wait a couple years for them to iron the bugs out and get drivers sorted before I update. Its like the days of beta testing are over, they just release a beta product and the complaining customers become the unpaid beta testers.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I have the same issue with every new iteration of windows. I usually wait a couple years for them to iron the bugs out and get drivers sorted before I update. Its like the days of beta testing are over, they just release a beta product and the complaining customers become the unpaid beta testers.
Man its different with Linux, because just to make a desktop work its hundreds of various projects with different developers not under the same umbrella. Its kinda a huge mess. A huge achievement but a huge mess. I hate to defend Windows like ever, but I think overall Windows is a bit easier to use. You can also break Linux pretty easily if you do something wrong. It won't stop you from doing dumb stuff like Windows does, which is a double edged sword for sure.

Man its different with Linux, because just to make a desktop work its hundreds of various projects with different developers not under the same umbrella. Its kinda a huge mess. A huge achievement but a huge mess. I hate to defend Windows like ever, but I think overall Windows is a bit easier to use. You can also break Linux pretty easily if you do something wrong. It won't stop you from doing dumb stuff like Windows does, which is a double edged sword for sure.
I still managed to break windows many times in the past by deleting something I shouldnt have.
Havent managed to break windows in a long time though.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've been using Linux since the late 90's, professionally since about 01. I've tried all manner of DAW's and whatnot under Linux and I simply don't get the allure of having to fight with config files and shit just to make music. That plus there's the whole issue of native VST support which doesn't exist so I can't use my plugins with ease.

I love it for servers and engineering desktops (plus I use it for pentesting), but not for music.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So what are using for music?
Windows XP SP3.

My DAW isn't attached to my network or the internet, so I don't have viruses and whatnot that to worry about. My DAW of choice is Sonar 8 PE, though I do have FL10 and Cubase SX3 installed. The main reason I use XP is because of my audio interface/control surface: A Tascam FW-1082, which won't work with anything past Vista (and I've considered re-building my DAW with Vista). My keyboards and drum pads, an M-Audio Axiom 49 and 25 (1st gen) and OG Trigger Finger also work best under XP mainly because the editor, Edison, works best under it (and neither have drivers for anything past Win7).

I do have stuff that will work with newer OS'es: I have an M-Audio Axiom Air 32 and a Lexicon Alpha interface in storage (I also have a Tascam US428 in storage, but that only works with XP or Vista), but the setup I have is where I'm most comfortable.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
Windows XP SP3.

My DAW isn't attached to my network or the internet, so I don't have viruses and whatnot that to worry about. My DAW of choice is Sonar 8 PE, though I do have FL10 and Cubase SX3 installed. The main reason I use XP is because of my audio interface/control surface: A Tascam FW-1082, which won't work with anything past Vista (and I've considered re-building my DAW with Vista). My keyboards and drum pads, an M-Audio Axiom 49 and 25 (1st gen) and OG Trigger Finger also work best under XP mainly because the editor, Edison, works best under it (and neither have drivers for anything past Win7).

I do have stuff that will work with newer OS'es: I have an M-Audio Axiom Air 32 and a Lexicon Alpha interface in storage (I also have a Tascam US428 in storage, but that only works with XP or Vista), but the setup I have is where I'm most comfortable.
Do you run into issues then that you can't use newer stuff that comes out?

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Do you run into issues then that you can't use newer stuff that comes out?

I don't really use newer stuff. I have plugins that work for me, some of which date back to the late 90's. I was on that "latest, greatest" wave for years and ended up spending a lot of money on upgrading plugins or buying new plugins that simply weren't useful; they were just new. So, I looked at what worked for me and just settled on that. The last time I bought "new" plugins was when I picked up Korg Legacy Digital back in 2015 or 2016. I already had M1 and Wavestation, but they had a bundle for $99 that had all of their plugins so I bought it.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
I don't really use newer stuff. I have plugins that work for me, some of which date back to the late 90's. I was on that "latest, greatest" wave for years and ended up spending a lot of money on upgrading plugins or buying new plugins that simply weren't useful; they were just new. So, I looked at what worked for me and just settled on that. The last time I bought "new" plugins was when I picked up Korg Legacy Digital back in 2015 or 2016. I already had M1 and Wavestation, but they had a bundle for $99 that had all of their plugins so I bought it.
I think a lot of plugins etc of yesteryear don't match up with stuff of today. Even newer technologies. But if what you got lets you do what you do, then no need I guess. But considered maybe stuff of today could let you do what you do but just better.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think a lot of plugins etc of yesteryear don't match up with stuff of today. Even newer technologies. But if what you got lets you do what you do, then no need I guess. But considered maybe stuff of today could let you do what you do but just better.

Nah, I take the hardware approach when it comes to VST's: Is the new joint so overwhelmingly better that I really need it, or can I dive deeper into what I currently have and extract more from it?

members online