Lets talk Linux

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Been a fan for years and have tracked a few records in it over the years with Ardour. But I always run in to some show stopping issue that pulls me back to Mac or Windows. So what does everyone think? Who is using it or who has questions maybe I can answer?

Last edited:

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
Been a fan for years and have tracked a few records in it over the years with Ardour. But I always run in to some show stopping issue that pulls me back to Mac or Windows. So what does everyone think? Who is using it or who has questions maybe I can answer?
I tried LMMS and also Ardour on Linux. Tried to run my DAW in a virtual Windows. All sucked. While I am a Linux user for everything else I now stick to Windows for making beats.

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
In the one or two times that I've played around in a Linux OS variant I've always found something show stopping even before I thought of making music on it. Spending even 30 minutes to get a program to run is more than too long for me to want to use it, let alone longer (if it's even possible at all). If you have to run VM at all then you might as well just not use it and use Windows. I like my machines to do what I want them to do with little to no fuss (why I don't use linux), and to have a reasonable level of customization per my standards (why I don't use Mac, not that windows hasn't gotten progressively worse over the years in this regard). Granted my hate for Apple is far deeper than that, and not at all part of this topic, so I'll leave that where it is.

Linux is just way too unintuitive for me. Simple tasks can be daunting, and difficult tasks seem nigh impossible if you don't know what you're doing which I don't.

In the one or two times that I've played around in a Linux OS variant I've always found something show stopping even before I thought of making music on it. Spending even 30 minutes to get a program to run is more than too long for me to want to use it, let alone longer (if it's even possible at all). If you have to run VM at all then you might as well just not use it and use Windows. I like my machines to do what I want them to do with little to no fuss (why I don't use linux), and to have a reasonable level of customization per my standards (why I don't use Mac, not that windows hasn't gotten progressively worse over the years in this regard). Granted my hate for Apple is far deeper than that, and not at all part of this topic, so I'll leave that where it is.

Linux is just way too unintuitive for me. Simple tasks can be daunting, and difficult tasks seem nigh impossible if you don't know what you're doing which I don't.
you do raise a good point here, its not like Apple is the bad guy and all the others are good guys. Microsoft is worse than Apple.
The problem is when corporations become too powerful, they can buy off politicians, exploit slave and child labour, they become a monopoly and can choke out rivals. The problem isnt the companies per se, its more when they become too powerful, they become greedy, they become drunk on the influence they have. The constant centralisation of business and governments hasnt made anything any better, just worse. The world is literally tearing itself apart because of the influence exercised by big business.

What makes Linux appealing is its open source, you can check the code to make sure there are no hidden backdoors, or other vulnerabilities etc.
I only installed Linux to give my old laptop a new lease of life, as I wouldnt have been able to hackintosh it without changing the bluetooth adapter, nothing minor, but couldnt be bothered. Will just buy a cheap mac to compile AU plugins, I dont need it for anything else.
I only want to learn logic to add it to my arsenal of DAW's that Im familiar with and can work with. Dont intend to switch to mac any time soon, if ever.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
What makes Linux appealing is its open source, you can check the code to make sure there are no hidden backdoors, or other vulnerabilities etc.
Yea but who actually does that or has the skill set and time to? Not many people. You know Im pro linux but I always found that particular argument a bit hollow. the NSA has been trying to put a backdoor in Linux for years https://falkvinge.net/2013/11/17/nsa-asked-linus-torvalds-to-install-backdoors-into-gnulinux/ I have a feeling they may have contributed some code to do just that without anyone catching it.

Yea but who actually does that or has the skill set and time to? Not many people. You know Im pro linux but I always found that particular argument a bit hollow. the NSA has been trying to put a backdoor in Linux for years https://falkvinge.net/2013/11/17/nsa-asked-linus-torvalds-to-install-backdoors-into-gnulinux/ I have a feeling they may have contributed some code to do just that without anyone catching it.
thats entirely possible. Its a lot of code to examine, but the fact that you can examine it is a good thing.
Compared to windows I find Linux is very good for working with c++ and installing github repositories, just makes the whole process simple where windows makes it hard. Sometimes it feels like you need to have a degree to get some libraries up and running with all their own dependencies that need to be compiled with the libraries. Linux makes it so simple.

Doesn’t it suck that Microsoft owns GitHub now?
It sucks that fewer and fewer companies are starting to own everything and are using that monopolisation and weilding far too much influence over our lives already, let alone what they have in store for us to come.

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
It sucks that fewer and fewer companies are starting to own everything and are using that monopolisation and weilding far too much influence over our lives already, let alone what they have in store for us to come.
You are absolutely right. Monopolisation is a huge problem.

I am an advocate for Linux in general but the missing native VST support makes it a no no for me. When I make beats I wanna make beats and not load a plugin to run a plugin that than eventually crashes anyway.

You don't need to know any code to use Linux...
might need an understanding of DOS depending on the distro. But there are many distros easy to use and there are ones that are hard to use depending on your experience.

I went with the Mint distro, recommended by Fade, its very user friendly. Not much different from windows.

@Fade literally just learned of the existence of Arbour DAW for Linux, have you ever tried it?

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
might need an understanding of DOS depending on the distro. But there are many distros easy to use and there are ones that are hard to use depending on your experience.

I went with the Mint distro, recommended by Fade, its very user friendly. Not much different from windows.
Sorry what does DOS have to do with Linux? That’s a Microsoft thing. Do you maybe mean command line? You really never have to touch command line to use Linux anymore if you don’t want to.

@2GooD Productions I have tracked a whole record in Ardour. Check out Harrison mix bus for a better version of Ardour

Sorry what does DOS have to do with Linux? That’s a Microsoft thing. Do you maybe mean command line? You really never have to touch command line to use Linux anymore if you don’t want to.
like I said there are distros from easy to advanced depending on your level.
When I was at college the command line was called DOS, windows didnt even exist. Yes it was a Microsoft thing, but Ive just always called it DOS, but yes you are right, its the command line.
I tend to used the command line a hell of a lot when programming.

Technically DOS just means Disk Operating System, whereas MSDOS was Microsofts version of DOS.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
like I said there are distros from easy to advanced depending on your level.
When I was at college the command line was called DOS, windows didnt even exist. Yes it was a Microsoft thing, but Ive just always called it DOS, but yes you are right, its the command line.
I tend to used the command line a hell of a lot when programming.
DOS was an IBM product kinda and a full on Microsoft product eventually, Unix command line has been Unix command line since like the 60’s. They are two totally different operating systems. Also did you see my Ardour comment?

Also did you see my Ardour comment?
Sorry missed that, I had Harrison Mixbus pumping me with ads when I was on facebook. Looked like a decent well rounded DAW too.
Im a total newbie with regards to Unix and Linux, not going to lie or claim otherwise. As experienced as I am with windows operating systems, Im daunted by the others, simply because I dont have a clue what Im doing, or what apps you need to accomplish a particular task.
Its like when I got my first pc all over again, but not so hard.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Sorry missed that, I had Harrison Mixbus pumping me with ads when I was on facebook. Looked like a decent well rounded DAW too.
Im a total newbie with regards to Unix and Linux, not going to lie or claim otherwise. As experienced as I am with windows operating systems, Im daunted by the others, simply because I dont have a clue what Im doing, or what apps you need to accomplish a particular task.
Its like when I got my first pc all over again, but not so hard.
It sounds REALLY good. Its the only DAW that actually has a sound. Ardour on its own doesn't. But yea I have a love/hate for linux. Been playing with it since the 90's but I always run in to some show stopping issue. At least on the desktop.