Is Dr. Dre a phony?

sammy beats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
I have heard some rumors that Dre doesn't really do his own producing. He is more of a public figure while this other guy does the work behind the scenes. Can anyone tell me what the hell is up with this? I mean, I always thought Dre was a sick producer.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Dre is by no means a phony...hahahaha he gets riffs played for him he samples the shidd.....basically the same thing any hip hop producer does except most producers usually don't have access to live musicans to play the riffs, but he uses mpc's, sp1200's and most of the old classic gear and new shidd that comes out.....he did an extreme amount of sampling from records back in the early days......so anyone that tells you that dre is a phony does not know their history....first of all b4 all of the hip hop and sampling Dre was in a Gfunk Electro band that had some hits....back in the 80's around the time of Michael Jackson...being on top of the world......he does have a musical foundation and a little more than some basic music theory knowledge and definitely has a lot more skillz than the average hip hop producer nowadays.....anyone that has played in any kind of band where you have singers and other musicians knows this, arrangement, arrangement, arrangement, is key...transitions, bridges etc....intro, outro....this comes across in all of his work no matter if its based completely on old Vinyl Samples.....or the professional riffs done by studio musicians.....Dre is behind the boards and he's probably got about at least 99% input into his projects....and oh another thing Dre is a superb engineer....a lot of the early Chronic shitt was mixed and mastered by Dre......

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Piggy backing on what Big D said, Dre isn't a phony he's paid his dues, but he also understands that in order to get a certain sound you have to get different people in the studio to add their flavor on bass, drums, keys etc, but Dre knows how to do all of it very well, someone else just may be a little better. He has a production team so he includes dope people in these projects to expand the sound and make it the hottest it can be, I'm not working for Dre either LOL, but just from what I understand. One point Bernie Grundman did the final Mastering on THE CHRONIC album Big D, but Dre did just about everything else.

C

Copenhagen

Dre is the actual meaning of a producer, not a beatmaker, as I would see it.
There was a good interview somewhere, where, as far as I remember, the typical production of a Dre beat would start with Dre talking to his crew (e.g. Mike Eliziondo (voted no. 1 bass player in 2003 in USA), Scott Storch (former Roots keyboard player) etc) about what he is seeking, they then start jamming until they come up with something good, then Dre comes in and lay down the drums and they're done...

In addition, I read that Dre is working with Burt Bacharach on his 3rd, and most likely final album. Dre is sending off little bits and pieces to Burt, then Burt arranges, plays new stuff etc and sends it back to Dre.

sammy beats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
That's tight, i didn't know he had live musicians. Thats quite a luxury to have access to great jam musicians like that. And yeah, im pretty excited that he's finally comin out with a new album. his last one was definitely fire.

Muzik

SouthBound
ill o.g.
You damn right... Hes one all around muthafu.. Luv his productionz..
hes so versitile i dont think there anything he cant do.... Yo i betcha ill be there early to get his new shit!!!! I wanta hear where hes gonna go this time....

tony needles

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Everyones on point. Who out there can f*** with Dre's versatility. That dude puts the time to perfect every beat he puts together, which is why his first two chronic cd's are production classics, the original being a groundbreaking album.
~DJ Quik is also on another level as far as producin, more people should realize this
Tony Needles in Queens

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Not being tha largest Dre fan, i still recognize and acknowledge his massive impact and skills...tha one thing that really even provoked me to make a comment in this thread tho was Tony Needles comment about tha "perfect timing" in all his tracks...I gotta give that up with outa doubt...matter a fact, thats tha one thing that always sticks out in my mind coinciding with his production...Its amazing how everything seems so perfectly alligned and arranged in his shit, yet theres still plenty of swing feeling too!?!...Thats props right there.
Oh and Quik iz fuckin ill huh!?...Man that dude was before his time when he was droppin albums too.

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Funny... he pays all those proffessional expert musicians to help make all those beats, yet he's not my favorite. Maybe cause I can't relate to his methods, I'd rather check a sample looping producer than some guy with a half of a orchestra in the studio.

C

Copenhagen

Dre samples too though, straight loops sometimes too...he doesn't just use live musicians, even though I wouldn't be surprised if he has them play the whole sample again to get it totally clean and as he want's it.
Check out:
Leon Haywood's "I wanna do something freaky to you" = Dre's "Nuthin' but a "G" thang"
Charles Aznavour's "Parce Que Tu Crois" = Dre's "What's The Difference"
Eleventh Hour's "Hollywood Hot" = Dre's "Bad intentions"
Isaac Hayes' "Bumpy's Lament" (which he replayed) = Dre's "Xxplosive"
Ronald Stein's "Go Home Pigs" = Eminem's "Guilty Conscience"
Labi Siffre's "I Got The" Eminem's "My Name Is"
etc etc

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Yeah Quik is right up there with Dre with that funked out shidd, I actually got to meet him chillen at the bar at his album releas back when the balance and options joint came out he gave me a copy and signed it for my Lil sis hes a down to earth cat too, but he has real musical skills to bring to the table too and he can make his own riffs....

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
burt bacarach? damn... i just bought his 3 cd album... that man is one of the all time great producers... so a dre & burt bacarach album... that will be dope... perhaps give quincy jones a call as well...

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
A friend in the "Industry" told me that half the beats ya hear these days are made by somebody else. Thats what i heard and is hear-say. He takes credit for other cats and pays them nicely. i wouldnt doubt it that much either with all the ghostwriting goin on as of late!

Muzik

SouthBound
ill o.g.
^^^^ Agreed!!!! Nuff Said

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
To me that sounds like a rumor that was guarunteed to get started no matter what, so you can't assume that everyone does that. That's like assuming that all chinese guys know karate.

bluntology

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
as of late? dre has allways been ghostwritten on chronic D.O.C ghostwrit his whole shit