You guys that use or have used multiple DAWs...

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yes i am familiar with the export audio feature and its screwed me with loop optimization off or on so to be safe I have I way that I like to do stuff, I like you better on gearslutz.com, you're way more open to how other people do things over there lol.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
What I do when I use Maschine to import into protools....

I actually record the track in its entirety into PT... Yes it takes as long as it the track is...but it works the best for me.

Change all the output channels to a separate channel, starting with 2... Match it in PT under the input...go to "plugin" then Maschine 2 thru whatever number of channels.

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
What I do when I use Maschine to import into protools....

I actually record the track in its entirety into PT... Yes it takes as long as it the track is...but it works the best for me.

Change all the output channels to a separate channel, starting with 2... Match it in PT under the input...go to "plugin" then Maschine 2 thru whatever number of channels.

Aye Sucio could you possibly do a vid on this? Also will this process cut down on cpu usage?

Aye Sucio could you possibly do a vid on this? Also will this process cut down on cpu usage?

Exporting a midi track that is linked to vst's that are processor intensive to an audio track which is not will definitely reduce cpu use.
The only downside of exporting to audio is that once its an audio track any changes to notes pitch etc will either have to be achieved through pitch shifting or re exporting the track after going back to the midi track and making the changes there.
But in short, yes exporting to audio does reduce cpu use.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73

I know the question is for Sucio but....

It definitely cutz down on cpu usage. The main thing u have to concern yourself with is destructive editing sooooooo...

Make sure you're willing to live with any effects you have on the midi track or don't use any effects until after you track the midi channel out.

Doing it this way is on some old school shhhh to be honest. It works but I don't see myself doing it this today. If I had to, I definitely wouldn't sit there and track it out in real time the entire length of the song. I would have to do it in in 2,4 or 8 bar loops and do the arranging of the song in the DAW that I'm tracking everything into.

Again, it's definitely a way of doing it...just not time efficient for the way I work these days. Used to be the only way of doing things back in the day!

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah so I tried ableton last night and aside from stretching a sample I just can't get into the flow of that program...those clips just make it hard for me...Ima go buy Pro Tools when I get outta work then when I get my insurance check Ill have logic and pt!

Kinda make me feel old to not be able to adapt to other daws easily...

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Yeah so I tried ableton last night and aside from stretching a sample I just can't get into the flow of that program...those clips just make it hard for me...Ima go buy Pro Tools when I get outta work then when I get my insurance check Ill have logic and pt!

Amen brother, I can barely adapt to the one Im used to lol.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.

I had the same problem when I first started trying to learn Ableton. If it had been the first DAW I ever used I probably would have picked it up faster. Ableton is totally diff't from any other DAW. It's the DAW version of how you get around on the MPC imo....many other producers say the same. It's ass backwards when you've used other DAWS so to speak....but..once u learn it you'll probably never go back to the others. IMO it's actually how all the other DAWS should be...on the other side looking back! The clip view/session view is actually the BEAST of the program. U can have a million arrangements which should keep you from making boring repetitive beats and when it comes time to lay shhh out in song form you really can't go wrong. Especially when u set your global to bars. If you're having that many problems getting around it do everything in the arrangement view. There, things should look very much like they would in other DAWS. But trust me....the session view will end up being your BFF..lol

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I cant do it bro...trust me the guy who lent me the pc is a ableton genie like you...he's been preaching that gospel for the past 4 years...when I watch him work I wanna learn soooooo bad and then ever now and again I try and I just get heated...No knock to the program or its users but that shit aint for me.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
I cant do it bro...trust me the guy who lent me the pc is a ableton genie like you...he's been preaching that gospel for the past 4 years...when I watch him work I wanna learn soooooo bad and then ever now and again I try and I just get heated...No knock to the program or its users but that shit aint for me.

I feel u...

I never try to convince people to drop what they know for Ableton. It's really not worth it. If you're looking for something diff't then it may be for you. If u know what u know and what u know works for you it's more productive to stick with what u know. If u could use vst's in Reason I probably would have never left it! Some DAWS just fit peoples style of production...Ableton happens to work for me. I can see where it wouldn't for a lot of people though. Not to mention I like using shit the the masses don't.....lmao

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304

I wish I could. Maybe I'll record something with my phone..

The problem with this is what LDB explained, the beat has to be DONE, with all drops, switchups and all of that.

Editing isn't that big of a problem with me, I can take sections out and move them...as long as you set up your grid to bars, everything fits.

When recording with Maschine into PT, Maschine matches the for PT, so that works well...

The drag and drop is not for me...I understand how it works...but I like recording the audio straight in, better.

A comment from the video owner: This method is useful for tracking an entire beat from Maschine that you have set up in "song mode". Drag and drop is cool if you want assemble the beat in Pro Tools. But if your beat is already in song format in Maschine with scenes all laid out, tracking using this method is more useful. Also, drag and drop doesn't include the SP1200 and MPC60 effects if you used them on your sounds.

zeek

ill o.g.
LouBez I'm Curios, what issues have you had with the export audio in maschine?

The problem i have discovered with the audio export with maschine, is how it calculates loops.

Example: say i make a beat that is exactly a 2 bar loop - say like a dj premier style beat....and all i want to do is ride that beat out for entire song, just like it is.

so in your scenes all you got is 2 patterns for 2 groups in 1 scene, just looping over and over....but when you export, it does not just 'freeze' those 2 bars and only ouput the length of the 2 bars....it captures those 2 bars and then any audio that might extend past those 2 bars, like sustaining notes or oneshot samples that play past the 2 bars. this can be a problem if you have a chopped sampled that plays past the 2 bars, but when the loop is going, doesnt actually play past because there is another note at the begenning of the loop that cuts it off using a choke group or because of poly 1 setting, the export doesnt recognize that.

so what i just described isn't that big of a deal. you can do 2 things. export it like that, then drop those exported tracks in your daw, set the correct tempo in the daw, then just trim up the ends to the correct 2 bar length, glue the tracks, then just extend/copy paste the 2 bars for you entire song....or in maschine, copy your scene as long as the song, then export.

anyways, figured I'd chime in and say I use reaper with maschine, and it seems to work okay. I've only just recently got maschine so I haven't done alot of beat exporting/tracking....i think saint joe has done some vids on the topic of reaper and maschine on how to route and print out the maschine tracks like you are asking.

also, i ain't feeling ableton either. not knocking it, but not really diggin it.same goes for the scenes thing in maschine.

peace

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah its the same thing you mentioned...I would use loop optimize but then it became soooooo tedious to edit....what I finallly wound up doing is making the whole thing beat in maschine and tracking it out in protools like sucio said...works for me.