You ever make the same beat twice?

G

Griffin Avid

I don't so much always mean just the drum pattern, but I have more than once just made a track that felt very familiar and did some looking back through my cataloge and found a very similar track to the point that one became a change-up for the other.

I did that once in the Triton where I used a pad and couldn't find anything to layer it with and not cover it up so I left the pad in as the key element. Lo and behold the day I bought the Triton and had that new gear burst of inspiration and made 12 tracks I found another old track using that same pad prominently. Ouch.

I had a friend bust me on that once too where he said "I heard this before" and I'm like I just finished this track; no way. And I know this stems from making tracks and not listening to them. I keep lots of tracks in a raw, unfinished state so I don't even remember what I was working on two weeks ago.

I know y'all got some weird production stories.

You ever hear one of your beats from the next room and it sounds totally different from when you walk in the room. And the trace of that other track sticks in your head, but you can't grasp it like waking up from a dream and not being able to hold onto the details?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
In answer to the title of the thread...: No

I can honestly say I have never made the same vibe twice. Which might not be a good thing, once you get a vibe thats working, it would be nice to just be able to hang on to that approach and duplicate it it then sell it in mass like so many other paid cats do..
Alas, I am of the Beastie Boy ilk and have never made the same album (or song) twice.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I've made a couple beats with the same exact drum pattern.....Nearly 3 years apart.

Kinda annoying...since you try so hard to stay original...yet you bite off your own shit.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
do it all the time, and it pisses me off. i can say that it usually happens to me when i'm trying to force a beat. another problem i have is, i LOVE that damn Dminor chord. so much that i had to but a new controller because all of the D's on my other one stopped working. it's in 80% of my tracks. i do use other chords, but the Dminor is my bread and butter.

sometimes I make 3 or 4 beats out of the one basic track.
If im halfway through a track and do something I like that doesnt fit with the current track I will make a whole new track out of it using some of the original ingredients. I have a general way of composing, so there are always similarities, but I call that my sound.

ForestGlenn

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
for me though most if not all my beats have their own voice, i think the drum kits define where the beat might go as far as a boom bap, and uknow the different vybes of the beat

ch3ck-ch3ck

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
i've used the same sample twice with out noticing it and using the same drum pattern isnt something uncommon for me

T

TheMost

This thread making me think of something.

I sold this beat to somone about 2 months ago. Now after selling it i started trying to add stuff to it but ended up changing the drum beat on it, updating it and it sound much better. Now this dude is a hard purist and says it was too slow.. anyways

The wya i made it is way hotter so im gona change the beat aorund a bit and use it for one of my artists i work with.