Yo all MPC/ASR owners please enter!

Konvict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo, all week this issue has been roaming my head. As prolly the two most powerful samplers ever, the MPC and ASR have been on my wish list for a long time. I thought I had my mind set up on an ASR, but I keep seeing Classics avator and it keeps feeling my head with thoughts. Im pretty sure as a newbie trying to take his first step into the hardware world, Id enjoy the MPCs sequencer more, but I think learning the ASR as my first sampler would pay off in the long run. Anyways, Im not one of those guys who just take straight loops off of songs(although I do sometimes), Im more into chopping my samples up and rearranging it to create my own unique peice of art.
Now I want to ask all the MPC users out there, how are the sampling features on the MPC? How easy is it to chop a sample and rearrange? How long does this process usually take you? How are the filters on the MPC? What do you like best about owning this thing?
To the ASR users, how intuitive is the sequencer, despite the LCD's size? How easy is it to chop a sample and rearrange it and how long does the process usually take? How are the effects and filters? How do you feel about programming drums on this thing?What do you like best about owning this thing?
I really want the answer to these questions so I could decide which one of these monsters I want in my arsenal. Personally, I would like both and would eventually have both, but right now I want to pick just one up first and use it for about a year before picking up any other equipment. This way I could learn a good deal about the sampler of my choice and feel comfortable producing on it. Well, any help would be appreciated, and thank you to whoever helps. Peace.

Konvict

T

The Bastard

i had to make this choice at one time myself, they both have pros and cons which u can do research on, theres no better one to get, you just gutta chose sumthin and roll wit it

Konvict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So which one did you choose? I know theres no better one to get, I just asked a couple of questions that'll help me choose which one Id be more happy with, feel me?
Konvivt

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
I was stuck there too at one point found out the pro and con's can affect a person depending on there Level/ style/ work ethic of production there both really good units. myself i chose the Mpc3000 mostly because of its pads... and a Screen that showed Wavs.. i didnt have an Ear so if got the Ars it woulda been hard for me to sample.. find specific chop/loop points etc ya know i wasnt ready to learn that i did later on but i just wanted to bang out tracks ya know .. plus at the time i was able to play drums as good as i could tap em out

So i got an Mpc 3000

Konvict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nnxt said:
I was stuck there too at one point found out the pro and con's can affect a person depending on there Level/ style/ work ethic of production there both really good units. myself i chose the Mpc3000 mostly because of its pads... and a Screen that showed Wavs.. i didnt have an Ear so if got the Ars it woulda been hard for me to sample.. find specific chop/loop points etc ya know i wasnt ready to learn that i did later on but i just wanted to bang out tracks ya know .. plus at the time i was able to play drums as good as i could tap em out

So i got an Mpc 3000
Yo thanks Nnxt, that really helped me out. See Im not sure if I have an ear for chopping samples or not cuz I do all my sampling work in cool edit which obviously shows the waveforem and thats prolly the only real reason why Im having second thoughts about the asr. Thanks again. Anybody else with some input?
Konvict

ill o.g.
The ASR can chop as much as the mpc can. On the asr you can chop a sample and put each sound on a different key. And you can edit each individual wavesample individually.

But about the sequencers, the mpc is more of a live sequencer, where, if you got all your sounds loaded in, you can make the layout or the backbone of the beat in a couple minutes. But the asr takes more time. You record each instrument one at a time. And it dont loop while your switching from recording the drums to recording a piano.

Another thing you should think about is, are you gonna want to do some midi-ing later on. I think the mpc is 100 times easier to midi then the asr. Plus the mpc can handle and program more midi instruments on different channels then the asr.

like bastard said you gotta make a choice and run with it. Either one aint a bad choice. You wont regret either one down the road. And you can always sell it and get the other one if you feel you made a bad decision.

Konvict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Loose Cannon said:
The ASR can chop as much as the mpc can. On the asr you can chop a sample and put each sound on a different key. And you can edit each individual wavesample individually.

But about the sequencers, the mpc is more of a live sequencer, where, if you got all your sounds loaded in, you can make the layout or the backbone of the beat in a couple minutes. But the asr takes more time. You record each instrument one at a time. And it dont loop while your switching from recording the drums to recording a piano.

Another thing you should think about is, are you gonna want to do some midi-ing later on. I think the mpc is 100 times easier to midi then the asr. Plus the mpc can handle and program more midi instruments on different channels then the asr.

like bastard said you gotta make a choice and run with it. Either one aint a bad choice. You wont regret either one down the road. And you can always sell it and get the other one if you feel you made a bad decision.
Yo thanks man, I guess Ill just spend a long time thinking about this tonight and whichever I decide to go with tonight is gonna be final! Thanks for the help man.
Konvict

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
If u want to build around a piece of equiment i think most people will agree the MPC is better.

Im going to assume your talking about the MPC 2000xl

Even most people who use the ASR use the MPC as the master sequncer. THey will chop and play samples on the ASR using MIDI

THe MPC is more MIDI flexable which means u can expand your setup. As far as chopping i think the MPC is better also,
(notice im talking about the 2xl becasue it has features that lower MPC's dont)

The only downside is the sample filtering capabiltities, the ASR definaly has the MPC on that, but u can easily but a rack sampler or use software for that

(most of the times i will filter my samples in soundforge before i load them in the MPC)

Also u have to take into account the ASR is a pretty old peice of equiment and ensoniq has stopped supporting it.

Keep doing what ur doing, ask questions and play around with both pieces but realise either way u will be find as along as you realise that the piece of equiment you use dosent make u a good producer

ITs your talent

NOTE make sure distingish which MPC your talking about

BEcasue the 1000 and 2000
Lack KEY features(autochromatic, zoning etc..) that the 2xl or 4000 have, if u dont research now u will regret later, why do u think so many 1000's are onsale for cheap on Ebay

Watch my video tutorial

It should give u a good idea of how i Use the MPC along with other equiment
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~jason12/classic_lab_1.WMV

class....

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I can't say much for the MPC, since I don't own one, but I do own an ASR. Having it for over 4 years now, I can say that it took quite a while to really get the feel for the machine, but being patient was worth it. The sequencer may seem a bit unfriendly, but once you learn how to use event edit, you'll be fine (you can alternatively use cubase or similar programs combined with the keyboard). Sampling is where this baby shines, and that's why I bought it in the first place. You've got over 50 effects, each with a number of variations, plus you can resample with effects. Not to mention you can control the effects with modulators, pitch wheel, or whatever else you feel like using. Editing samples without seeing a waveform isn't as painful as it seems. If you don't like those nasty pops at the begining or ending of a sample, adjust the envelopes to your liking. Too much hiss or background noise, adjust filters. Looping can be a bit of a pain, but you can always use the auto-loop feature to get you started. Sample rates can be adjusted from 44 khz to 8 (or lower, cant remember), so if you want gritty or a crisp track, you have both options. Anyways, that's all I can think of now!

Either way, both are good buys, and both can get the job done. It's not what you use, it's how you use it!

Btw, nice vid class, need more cats putting out vids like that!

Konvict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Pug said:
I can't say much for the MPC, since I don't own one, but I do own an ASR. Having it for over 4 years now, I can say that it took quite a while to really get the feel for the machine, but being patient was worth it. The sequencer may seem a bit unfriendly, but once you learn how to use event edit, you'll be fine (you can alternatively use cubase or similar programs combined with the keyboard). Sampling is where this baby shines, and that's why I bought it in the first place. You've got over 50 effects, each with a number of variations, plus you can resample with effects. Not to mention you can control the effects with modulators, pitch wheel, or whatever else you feel like using. Editing samples without seeing a waveform isn't as painful as it seems. If you don't like those nasty pops at the begining or ending of a sample, adjust the envelopes to your liking. Too much hiss or background noise, adjust filters. Looping can be a bit of a pain, but you can always use the auto-loop feature to get you started. Sample rates can be adjusted from 44 khz to 8 (or lower, cant remember), so if you want gritty or a crisp track, you have both options. Anyways, that's all I can think of now!

Either way, both are good buys, and both can get the job done. It's not what you use, it's how you use it!

Btw, nice vid class, need more cats putting out vids like that!
Yo thanks man, Ive actually decided to go with the MPC as my first purchase to get my foot in the door then later on I'll pick up either the ASR-10 or the rack version. Thanks yall, I hope I can find a good deal on an MPC. Nice vid btw, Classic!:thumb:
Konvict

classic

ill o.g.
Konvict said:
Yo thanks man, Ive actually decided to go with the MPC as my first purchase to get my foot in the door then later on I'll pick up either the ASR-10 or the rack version. Thanks yall, I hope I can find a good deal on an MPC. Nice vid btw, Classic!:thumb:
Konvict

No problem

Make sure u really research what each MPC can do, becasue they all can do differnt things. Really understand that u get what u pay for, there is a reason why the 1000 is cheaper then the 2000xl

http://www.akaiproamerica.com/
click here and read the specs on each MPC

also u can find every damn question u have on ANY MPC here www.mpcforums.com
make sure u search on a question becasue if its about an MPC it HAS been asked their(u have to join)

this site is also great for techinal specs(and questions about the MPC)

www.mpc2000xl.com
(really read this it explains alot)

I researched all these before i made my decision, dont go by what other people have get what fits u

classss

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
yo konvict me and you both are lookin for the same thing but just keep checkin out ebay thats what i have been doin maybe you will find a mpc on their for a good price, hopefully class will get that 4000 soon and he can hook a brotha up and sell his mpc to him for a good price, hint hint

classic

ill o.g.
x-squizet said:
yo konvict me and you both are lookin for the same thing but just keep checkin out ebay thats what i have been doin maybe you will find a mpc on their for a good price, hopefully class will get that 4000 soon and he can hook a brotha up and sell his mpc to him for a good price, hint hint

LOL im sorry man its not lookin good, once i get the fantom XR rack i will have all the cabiltitbities of a 4000 (sample filtering editing etc...) So it dosent look like im gonning to be getting a 4000 anytime soon, if i do change my mind though u will be the first in line

class....

Konvict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:
No problem

Make sure u really research what each MPC can do, becasue they all can do differnt things. Really understand that u get what u pay for, there is a reason why the 1000 is cheaper then the 2000xl

http://www.akaiproamerica.com/
click here and read the specs on each MPC

also u can find every damn question u have on ANY MPC here www.mpcforums.com
make sure u search on a question becasue if its about an MPC it HAS been asked their(u have to join)

this site is also great for techinal specs(and questions about the MPC)

www.mpc2000xl.com
(really read this it explains alot)

I researched all these before i made my decision, dont go by what other people have get what fits u

classss
Yeah, Ive actually been reading up on both of these pieces(ASR & MPC) since last April. Ive already decided to get the 2000XL. I hope them ebay prices go down. I remember like this summer MPCs were going for like $650-$750 left and right! Now the prices are damn near past the price for a new one!:splat:

Konvict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey guys, ive been doing some reading, and I came up with a little setup and wanted to know what yall thought about it. I'll have the Akai MPC2000XL, the Korg Triton, and the ASR-10 rack...sound good? Im thinking about using my MPC as my main sequencer and sampler, the Triton for the sounds and keys, and the ASR-10 rack for its effects and filters. Sound alright??? I figured the real reason I wanted the ASR-10 was cuz of its filters and effects, so I decided to buy the rack version to use as sort of an effects unit. With this setup, I can have the best of everything! Do you see anything wrong with me doing this? thanks
Konvict

NORTH

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Classic -- Ever heard of stereo sound dawg?? SPLIT up your monitors so you can hear your mix dude!

classic

ill o.g.
Konvict said:
Hey guys, ive been doing some reading, and I came up with a little setup and wanted to know what yall thought about it. I'll have the Akai MPC2000XL, the Korg Triton, and the ASR-10 rack...sound good? Im thinking about using my MPC as my main sequencer and sampler, the Triton for the sounds and keys, and the ASR-10 rack for its effects and filters. Sound alright??? I figured the real reason I wanted the ASR-10 was cuz of its filters and effects, so I decided to buy the rack version to use as sort of an effects unit. With this setup, I can have the best of everything! Do you see anything wrong with me doing this? thanks
Konvict

AGain man dont worry about what other people think and try this stuff out for yourslef. It depends if it fits you, thats the most important thng. Dont worry about what we think

members online