Windows 10 is out, how does it affect audio performance?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
msw-win10-hero-slider-familiar.png

It just came out and it's a free upgrade for current Windows 7 & 8 users. I haven't used 10 yet, but I would like to know how well it performs with audio. I read on a few sites that it has a big improvement for both audio and video (especially gaming) but the results aren't solid since everyone has different computer components.

So if you've upgraded to Windows 10, reply here and let us know how your software is doing. Do you see an improvement in how your DAW functions?

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I used Maschine today for several hours, no problems with my audio. The only thing that changed for me is that when I plug my headphones into my computer (as opposed to my amp) it doesn't switch to the computers internal soundcard. I have change that I guess.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's good to know. I'm gonna check it out soon, try it first on my laptop and see. But apparently it's supposed to be faster.

What are your PC specs?

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
AMD Phenom II X3 720 3.40 ghz
4gb ram

Pretty shit, but it works for me.

T

TagYourBeats

I'm going to hold off before upgrading...I'm too scared that it will mess up something with either FL, my VSTs, my old beat files...anything, really.

But there is always this anxiety around new software. Microsoft tend to release things a little broken then fix it all with updates.

I will be upgrading as long as I don't read too many horror stories.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
UPDATE

So I went ahead and installed Windows 10, everything was smooth. Took a bit of time but so far, so good. Maschine, Traktor, Sonar X3 - all good. Instead of waiting for my reserved copy, I went here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10 and used the Media Creation Tool. I chose "upgrade this PC now" but I also checked the option of downloading an ISO file. That works too.

I did have a few issues, so maybe this will help others on here:

Nvidia video card drivers didn't work at first.
Windows downloaded the latest ones and tried to install it but it would stop. Turns out I had to go into Task Manager and end each Nvidia process. Then I went and uninstalled all Nvidia drivers that were already installed. Once I did that, I rebooted and then Windows installed the driver. I even went further and downloaded the latest drivers straight from the Nvidia site and installed those.

Fonts were blurry.
Not all fonts, but I guess it really only applied to older programs or programs that don't scale DPI properly. I'm assuming this is something that Microsoft will fix soon in an update, but until then, I went here: http://windows10_dpi_blurry_fix.xpexplorer.com and installed that program. It's a really small program that gives you the choice of using Windows 10 or Windows 8 DPI. I chose Windows 8 at 100% but since I have a big screen I had to bring it up to 125% (which is what I had previously). The only downside is each time you change the setting you have to reboot.

Overall that's about it. All other programs work. I guess Microsoft will keep putting out more updates to fix bugs like the ones I just mentioned.

producerspot

ProducerSpot.com
Today I did the transition to Windows 10. Everything is going well, although I had some fears but now I can say that is a welcome change.

jstoddart

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
im happy with my 10 upgrade ,,,, sweet ...

members online