Why no Apple Logic catagory

alkota

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
yes this is true... im about to cop logic pro 7, so im a little bit weirded out by this. Its probably because apple + logic = expensive, with student discount its only $500 though... im guessin not many logic users here

O

open mind

i heard very good opinions on logic but uuuhm yes i think nobody maybe 1 or 2 peepz have it here on ill.

alkota

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
apparenlty logic is a really hard learning curve and you gotta get a book or take a training course... beyond that its suppose to be the truth. Im gunna get it when I got some extra cash flow. I met up with some guys that do house down in denver and they are gunna show me how its done. But yeah, its suppose to be a great sequencer and combined w/ the right plugins a production monster.

The support side I can see apple being bad at. They have a quality product and likewise Id expect them to charge to sit on the phone and explain stuff. But a little expermentation and reading wouldnt be so bad, would it?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
figure out the screensets first, that makes stuff easier.
get a grip on theshort keys, especialy mouse with alt/shift/ctrl functionality.

the rest is a cake,

and im a sucker for the logic tape delay, probably the best sounding tape delay vst around.

damird

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I just got Logic Express. Its kinda taking time getting used to, but the basic things are the same as on all sequencers.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I tried running Logic from 4.0 to 5.5 and, although I love the synths, I can't see myself using it ever. There's no "logical" reason that the sequencer has to be so damned hard to use. There's no reason why the app itself has to be so hard to do anything on it. I took time to learn it a bit by remixing a ghettotech track once. I had one of my crew literally holding my hand through the whole thing. Took a week to get it done. The same track done in Cubase AND Sonar took less than an hour in each app. No setup, no arcane rituals requiring a sacrifical lamb to get Rewire working, no nothing. Load the vocals, pick a track, assign it a VST, record, repeat until done. The app works as they should, just as if I were in my old studio with all my old hardware and any MIDI sequencer.

Logic is not very logical to me. I've spent a huge chunk of change on LAP 4.0, 4.7, 5.0/5.05, and 5.5. I wanted to use it but couldn't get it happening.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
well both 6 and 7 made huge improvements to the issues you described. I would never remix a track in logic, I think the perfect remix environment is ableton with reason rewired to it. Use logic for what its great at midi sequencing in real time. In logic I can hit loop playback hit record lay down some beats quantize them, go to the next track lay down and bass line quantize that....and so on all with out EVER stopping playback. That is very inspiring. I love Sonar and Cubase/Nuendo but you can NOT do that in either one. I say use the right tool for the job use Reason/Fruity for beats Digital Performer/Pro Tools/Nuendo/Samplitude for multitrack recording Logic/Sonar/Cubase for midi work. There is no one size fits all tool.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That may be true, but Emagic lost me when they (as in Apple) killed PC support. Had they continued PC support (a blatantly obvious revenue stream for Apple/Emagic), I might have invested in it one more time and may have been pleased with the results.

They didn't, so I'll never know.

I've tried working on original compositions in Logic, most notably a few Deep House tracks. I did this because, at the time, there was no better Rhodes than the EVP88 plugin and the rest of the synths included with LAP were so damned good. I kept trying my hand at it just to be able to use those synths! The amount of effort I had to put into making music with Logic just wasn't worth it. In Cubase and (eventually) Sonar things work as I expect them to. It just wasn't that way with Logic.

As for there being a one size fits all tool, IMO Cubase and Sonar comes damned close to it and I give Sonar (v4 anyways) the edge only because it's a bit easier to use (and I've been a Cakewalk user since CWPA5.0).

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
"As for there being a one size fits all tool, IMO Cubase and Sonar comes damned close to it"

I do not agree, they are terrible mastering tools. They are not near as good as sampltidue or nuendo for multitracking or working with sound for video. they are not near as good as reason/fruity for step sequencing. Sonar and Cubase totally rock at somethings and dont do as good at others. At the end of the day however we are just arguing over what hammer builds a wall better. I was also at first sad that Logic was mac only, but over %60 of all logic users where on the mac anyway, and having to only devlop for the mac has helped logic progress as an app much faster.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Logic also comes with a pricetag, but if you can find a 5.5 mac version for sale somewhere cheap...the upgrade to 7 from there is 300 bucks which is a really nice deal hehe

TheSpark...

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What makes the Audio Recording part so hard... and why such a learning curve... I ordered it because I went the Apple store and played with it.... and in 5 minutes I was able to do everything I wanted from record, add effects, and mix it... what am I missing?