Why does everyone use the MPC series?

P

Prophet

It is silly when you use it on a train or airplane with powerful laptop and good audio software? Oxygen is just a controller. Do you expect me to use a full octave range Triton on a plane to control MIDI or to make beat in computer?

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

I've got an Oxygen8 as well, that thing is so awesome and useful.

I dare anyone to show me another controller that is as small and can transmit notes, velocity and controllers as easily as this little guy...it runs on batteries and USB power, you can program the knobs to send whatever CC's you need it to...

It would be a lot cooler if it could transmit sysex and aftertouch, and if it would act as a bi-directional MIDI interface between my synths and my laptop so that Sound Diver could communicate with them.

Prophet is SO on the money, this guy is not meant for studio work, it's purpose is to be light and portable. And easy...:D

It's not silly at all to use something like this on an airplane or train...Prophet lives in a place where trains are common for transportation, it would be cool as hell to use it to make beats on the way to work or whatever instead of sleeping or reading a magazine.

And, we musn't forget live applications. I brought one out a few weeks back at a little show I played and used it to control Reaktor from my laptop, it did the job just nicely and blew away all the guys who were just switching patterns on their MPC's.

Nick

B

Briellz

I never really toyed with that controller. Im gonna have to see about it at the store later today!

M

mbiafb

The success of the MPC is a combination of :

1. The rush by all up and coming producers to use exactly what their idols are using. This pattern has repeated itself time and time again in hip-hop. In the earlier days it was the 808. Then everyone wanted and SP-12 then 1200. In fact, the original MPC took quite awhile to surpass the sp-1200 as the hip hop drum machine/sampler/sequencer of choice.

2. The lack of a serious competitor. The ASR-X sufferd from being introduced at a time it's company was going under. The SP-1200 just got dated. Currently there is only one thing quite like an MPC. All kinds of similar things have popped up in recent years, but most are marketed as sound module/ samplers that happen to have a sequencer and some pads for input rather than a sampling drum machine that is also a formidable sequencer. Although some of these machines are actually more powerful than the MPC ( at least on paper), they lack the simple sampling drum machine appeal of the MPC.

The MPC2000 was technically not that great of a product but was still highly successful. The sequencer was so-so compared to what else was available and the sampler was downright primitive when compared to other samplers, including samplers made by akai. They used the sampling engine of the S2000 which was one of Akai's worst samplers. Despite it's shortcomings, the MPC2000 offered something hip-hop proiducers could not easily get elsewhere without combining several products.

There's no doubt that everything done on an MPC can be done, and possibly done better on other equipment. Arguably, much can be done even better using software. However, the MPC is still the best solution as far as instant gratification for making hip-hop beats. There is not a single piece of hardware more suitable. Even powerful workstations like Triton fall short when it comes to raw hip-hop.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Instant gratification, that sounds about right. To be fair, not everyone has the time, patience or capabilities of learning a slew of samplers, synths, sequencers, OS's, etc., it is so much easier (and fun) to load some sounds into a box and make some tunes.

My first ever synth was the MC-303, I spent SO much time playing with that thing and I thought it was the greatest thing on the planet. Eventually I craved more power, more tracks, more sounds, more types of synthesis, etc., and moved to a computer based system with modules and a proper controller and haven't looked back.

It takes more time and patience to work with a computer based system, but the power, flexibility and scalability it offers is amazing.

But I still love that MC-303 :D

Nick

M

mbiafb

I hear you aout not everyone having time to learn all the technical stuff. I guy in a music store a few years back showed me how the sampler that was out around the same time the s2000 was ( the emu esi-32) basically pissed on the akai in the price range. However, the Emu was 10 times harder to use.

I wish I could afford an MPC4000. even with the knowledge that I could theoretically do the same stuff with other equipment, i would rather hit the on switch and go.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

Yeah, that MPC 4000 looks really sweet, a nice little alternative to a full-blown studio. It's all sorts of neat stuff like a burner, integration with a computer for sample/program and sequence editing, 2 or 4 gigs of stock sounds so you can make tunes straight out of the box...and a BIG-ASS display!

But the BIGGEST option is that it has the new Akai Z-96 sampler engine which will make the MPC2000 engine look like the free gift you get with your paid subscription to Chump Illustrated: very tasty.

All those filters and modulation sources....

Nick

B

Briellz

That MPC 4000 is a lot of $$$$$$!

The sampler is cool...tonz of features. I checked it out again a few weeks ago. The 2000XL MPC is really portable though...I carry it from studio to studio...with the 4000 being sooooo dayum big...you can't really do that!

P

Prophet

Do the Neptunes use the MPC? It think it would be good for making beats in transit, to take to studio and use with ProTools.

B

Briellz

The Neptunes use the ASR 10, MPC 3000 & 4000.....Triton...I seen one of there studios....CHAD HUGO has tons of Keyboards!!!!

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hip hop or rap music is not that hard to do...as far as me using the mpc with my keyboard it do everything i need it to do....and then some....do i like software products only for recording and editing. plus i just feel better with a mpc cause you can always find someone out there who has one and could help you out. plus just thinking of someone luggin a computer to the studio sounds funny to me.

B

BeatOff

I have a 2000XL i love it, i switched from software to hardware a while back. The MPC4000 Is probably the biggest waste of money in the world. If you want all that AND more why not just get a MPD 16 and Cubase, you think the 4000 does alot it has nothing on that. And its a couple of grand cheaper, the 2000xl does everything i need.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Briellz
The Neptunes use the ASR 10, MPC 3000 & 4000.....Triton...I seen one of there studios....CHAD HUGO has tons of Keyboards!!!!

Remember, the Neptunes are not popular because they have all this gear, they are popular because they have talent. They could make a decent sounding track with a Big Mac, paperclip and hairbrush. And a tape recorder.

Take care,

Nick

P

ProZak

word@that....

I'm looking into buying a sampler, my Imac's soundcard just doesn't cut it for me, it sounds way too thin and I can't replace it, someone advised me to buy a rack sampler and do the sequencing on the computer. The MIDI timing is good so it's possible, I was just wondering how much cheaper it would be to do that instead of bying an 'all-in-one' package like the MPC or the Roland SP808. And does it make a big difference in day to day use?

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by vitaminman
Remember, the Neptunes are not popular because they have all this gear, they are popular because they have talent. They could make a decent sounding track with a Big Mac, paperclip and hairbrush. And a tape recorder.

Take care,

Nick

Nah, its the keyboards, gotta be the keyboards. :D

But seriously talent wasnt the only thing they had. Their connections were just as important as their skills. They were working with Teddy Riley way back in the early 90's and some other folk who opened doors for them. Connects are important.