Why does everyone use the MPC series?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Originally posted by BeatOff
The MPC4000 Is probably the biggest waste of money in the world. If you want all that AND more why not just get a MPD 16 and Cubase, you think the 4000 does alot it has nothing on that. And its a couple of grand cheaper, the 2000xl does everything i need.

You're not sane! The 4000 is an alround production unit meaning u can tell cubase to piss off. Less pc, less pain, it's the 2kXL protocol.

Traitor ! =o)

B

BeatOff

Originally posted by Formant024
You're not sane! The 4000 is an alround production unit meaning u can tell cubase to piss off. Less pc, less pain, it's the 2kXL protocol.

Traitor ! =o)

Insanity causes people to pay 3200$ for a MPC that wont make your beats any better than if you were working on a 60, 2000, 2000xl or 3000.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by BeatOff
Insanity causes people to pay 3200$ for a MPC that wont make your beats any better than if you were working on a 60, 2000, 2000xl or 3000.

I agree. I think part of the success of the MPC is how simple and well designed it is. All the most used features are easy to access. The 4000 looks like they slapped together a bunch of features to try to compete with the DAW market. They're big selling points are having a CD burner, bigger screen, and a slightly faster processor? Come on. Computers have had that for decades now. And to top it off that joint is ugly as fuck and huge. I'm not impressed. I'll stick with a 2000XL if I need a MPC.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Some Guy
I agree. I think part of the success of the MPC is how simple and well designed it is. All the most used features are easy to access. The 4000 looks like they slapped together a bunch of features to try to compete with the DAW market. They're big selling points are having a CD burner, bigger screen, and a slightly faster processor? Come on. Computers have had that for decades now. And to top it off that joint is ugly as fuck and huge. I'm not impressed. I'll stick with a 2000XL if I need a MPC.

Fact is that the 4k supplies all features of a workstation at a "high" standard. PC's don't come out 56bits fx or 64chnls of midi, they do enable you to make music by help of an Intel processor. The sampler part is not interesting, but it has never been spectaculair in the MPC series ( mind you, S2000?!?!?in2kXL. 3k\60 is nice), so if you would buy it for those reasons you would be wrong anyway. I could consider a 4k in the center of my setup and for others replacing a pc for a better stronghold, if you are at a novice level and want to step into productions at a more serious " level " ( meaning spending money ), go for a 4k instead of a pc, it would be cheaper. Why ? A complete setup includes a 2940 and scsi drive, scsi cable, the mpc and a deasent pc which is up to date. Then you would also need a good soundcard, which can be expensive too ( well if you want? but consider it to match with the 4k ) and a fx processor of 2days standard. Add those expenses and compare that with the 4k.

Not saying the pc is a " no go ", but this baby is well thought of and most of all, practical.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by Formant024
Fact is that the 4k supplies all features of a workstation at a "high" standard.............

"all the features"?? Please explain to me how you record vocals and live instruments into your MPC4000. Is there a score editor to input musical notes? How do you do surround in a MPC4000? Actually how do you mix anything down using just a MPC4k? How do you load a movie into a MPC4k to write a soundtrack? How do you load virtual instruments into your MPC4k? I can go on but, How the hell can you consider that contraption a "more serious level" when it does half what a computer does? And you wanna talk about expensive add-ons, most of the 4k's good features are optional. Plus factor in a nice digital 24track and a gang of synths and keyboards to that already expensive price and you'll have to add a few 10k to your new expensive toy. I rather spend that loot on a nice 2000xl + synths + a decent comp.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Some Guy
"all the features"?? Please explain to me how you record vocals and live instruments into your MPC4000. Is there a score editor to input musical notes? How do you do surround in a MPC4000? Actually how do you mix anything down using just a MPC4k? How do you load a movie into a MPC4k to write a soundtrack? How do you load virtual instruments into your MPC4k? I can go on but, How the hell can you consider that contraption a "more serious level" when it does half what a computer does? And you wanna talk about expensive add-ons, most of the 4k's good features are optional. Plus factor in a nice digital 24track and a gang of synths and keyboards to that already expensive price and you'll have to add a few 10k to your new expensive toy. I rather spend that loot on a nice 2000xl + synths + a decent comp.

It's an Audio Platform, not a multimedia toy. It has both score/pianoroll, TR-step editor and ez 2 use event editor. Mixdown is ez, but don't expect it to convert shit to mp3, because ITS HARDWARE, you record on other media ( reel or dat ) after it goes through the mixer. That's how you perform a mixdown. Why the hell would I use Surround on an MPC console to make hiphop beatz or ??? movies ?WTF?! Do you know what they really use for that shit? If I would like to use SMPTE towards video I'd use a G4 dual with Protools HD, not a pc running running whatever. Virtual Instruments, Ill make it brief, I HATE EMULATORS! They really sux, the only alternative towards emu's would be Noah by Creamware ( check the site ) and with that rack I wouldn't even need a pc to run "virtual synths". For what cocerns the add-ons, There's a difference with supplied optionals between the US and Europe, but the last time I checked it didn't look to bad, plus the USB makes up for a lot. As for the other mentioned adds, you should be able to produce tracks very well with a 4k without having the other hardware gear, it would actually give you time to save up for more while your already producing on a " serious " level. By that I mean that you're not looking for all in one solution like a pc, but slowly creating a setup prior to the very basics of productions, IN AUDIO THAT IS !

It's a personal point of view, but it also depends on what your targets are, if you like to jam a bit and supply beats to your friends than thats cool, if you want to create recognizable productions you have to stick to a certain industrial format, a pc wont provide you with that unless you run a creamware powerpulsar + a16 and the Noah on top, if you have an alternative I would like to know, but so far this is pretty much the best combo yet when working on Hiphop soundtracks in dolby surround made by Virtual synths. In your case, it would make your life complete. In my life, hardware controls my setup, most of everything is hardware and the pc gives oppertunites for those who lack them as an alternatif, but its not better. Just think before you type something, you're not being reasonable or objective when it comes to the subject. Read some more about Electronic music instead of downloading plugins and stick with the mpc2k for what it's worth t you, just remember that the 4k is not to be compared with the 2k.

Smile MF