Why do people buy Apple products?

@2GooD Productions I think Logic is the #2 most used DAW in the professional sense at least and Pro Tools is #1 so it certainly is good to learn. You get a LOT of great effects with Logic both soft synths and mixing plugins. For $200 its the best bang for the buck of any DAW hands down. That being said there are things I like better about Pro Tools and Studio One so it's not the end all be all but Logic is pretty darn powerful.
Ive spent a fortune on effects plugins, I have all the ones I really need to get the job done.
I may fall in love with Logic, Ive used it very sparingly when I worked at another studio with Dennis Browns daughter, and it seemed pretty easy to use, I was picking it up fast, was about 8 years ago though, been a while.
I may really like Ableton too, never know till I try it. But being the main engineer at the studio I want to be prepared as much as possible and make the whole process as simple and easy for the customer as possible, and if I can work with what they are already using then its just less wasted studio time and more productive, the customer is more happy with what they are getting as they end up getting more for their hours.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Ive spent a fortune on effects plugins, I have all the ones I really need to get the job done.
I may fall in love with Logic, Ive used it very sparingly when I worked at another studio with Dennis Browns daughter, and it seemed pretty easy to use, I was picking it up fast, was about 8 years ago though, been a while.
I may really like Ableton too, never know till I try it. But being the main engineer at the studio I want to be prepared as much as possible and make the whole process as simple and easy for the customer as possible, and if I can work with what they are already using then its just less wasted studio time and more productive, the customer is more happy with what they are getting as they end up getting more for their hours.
Yea Ableton and Live are so different. Like I would never track a band in Live, but gosh mangling samples in Live is a blast. Kinda different mindsets.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I really dislike Logic. I don't know if it's cause of th3 added element of using it on mac factors into it.

But just not keen on it. Probably one of my least favourite daws.

I still consider it as more "serious" than Fruity Loops though.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
I really dislike Logic. I don't know if it's cause of th3 added element of using it on mac factors into it.

But just not keen on it. Probably one of my least favourite daws.

I still consider it as more "serious" than Fruity Loops though.
That seems like a personal preference thing to me. Nothing wrong with that. But it is the second most used DAW in professional studios, so it has decent traction for sure. Pro tools still dominates the market by a wide margin though. At the end of the day they can all get the job done, it just depends on what connects with your brain.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
That seems like a personal preference thing to me. Nothing wrong with that. But it is the second most used DAW in professional studios, so it has decent traction for sure. Pro tools still dominates the market by a wide margin though. At the end of the day they can all get the job done, it just depends on what connects with your brain.
Yeah that's what I said. Said I really dislike it.

Pro Tools is cool, but it's for mixing really. And is locked to certain hardware.

For me, I think the only DAW I'd go to next is Ableton. And i'd likely use Studio One and Ableton in combination.

So there I was on a cold evening in late March making a beat, with a nice joint and a nice hot cup of coffee, I was really getting into it, and then it happened. This clumsy fucker called me knocked the whole hot cup of coffee all over my laptop. I couldnt turn it off quick enough, just hope it comes back on in the morning. Ill get to see how tuf it really is. Surprised it didnt immediately fry tbh. Actually its april first and Im the fool.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Yeah that's what I said. Said I really dislike it.

Pro Tools is cool, but it's for mixing really. And is locked to certain hardware.

For me, I think the only DAW I'd go to next is Ableton. And i'd likely use Studio One and Ableton in combination.
Pro tools isn’t hardware locked any longer. I do love it for post and recording. Ableton is a pretty remarkable software for sure, I love it for writing but I hate it for tracking and mixing.

I really like mixing in fl studio but hate recording with it. Im just really loving Cubase personally, its good all round. Want to mess with audio, or vsts or record, it does it all in an easy way. You can make a human unquantized sample totally quantized if you want pretty easily. The side chaining on cubase 11 is much easier than 6 was, and I can make music really quickly without getting bogged down by technicalities of the DAW to achieve something. Once you get used to working with any DAW, you find ways to make it work for you, but still we all have our favourites that lend themselves to our style, whether thats DAW or all in an MPC or something else like an sp1200 if you are one of the lucky ones. If what comes out at the end is dope, does it really matter how you got to the destination, what matters is you got there by the means at your disposal.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I really like mixing in fl studio but hate recording with it. Im just really loving Cubase personally, its good all round. Want to mess with audio, or vsts or record, it does it all in an easy way. You can make a human unquantized sample totally quantized if you want pretty easily. The side chaining on cubase 11 is much easier than 6 was, and I can make music really quickly without getting bogged down by technicalities of the DAW to achieve something. Once you get used to working with any DAW, you find ways to make it work for you, but still we all have our favourites that lend themselves to our style, whether thats DAW or all in an MPC or something else like an sp1200 if you are one of the lucky ones. If what comes out at the end is dope, does it really matter how you got to the destination, what matters is you got there by the means at your disposal.
I used Sonar for aaaages, but it never never never felt smooth and comfortable. Certain things were just really eurgh. Compared to my previous DAW Cubase.

Bought Studio One blind. Didn't get to check it out much before purchase. But it was fucking seamless. It felt like how Cubase felt to me. Intuitive. Pretty much just did what I want it to do.

I hear in FL you gotta do some weird shit to create sends? Like use a plugin, then do something to route the plugin? Only real thing I'd like in FL i think is the midi note slides.

I used Sonar for aaaages, but it never never never felt smooth and comfortable. Certain things were just really eurgh. Compared to my previous DAW Cubase.

Bought Studio One blind. Didn't get to check it out much before purchase. But it was fucking seamless. It felt like how Cubase felt to me. Intuitive. Pretty much just did what I want it to do.

I hear in FL you gotta do some weird shit to create sends? Like use a plugin, then do something to route the plugin? Only real thing I'd like in FL i think is the midi note slides.
In fl studio latest, whatever its at now, you highlight the channel you wish to send as a side chain then right click dial at the bottom of the mixer track with the compressor to duck then choose the send to track, or its something very similar. Thats it, then you go into the compressor and then its settings, then another tab, Im remembering off the top of my head, preferences or something, then select the channel as input and activate it by clicking the activate circle, if the compressor isnt ducking according to the input you sent, go back into the settings and choose the other numbered input, it should then work. Make sure you turn the ratio up too for ducking to happen. It sounds more complicated than it is tbh, most easy daw ive used for side chaining, and cubase is second.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'll chime in here:

Owning Apple products is seen as a "flex", as the young folks like to say. It's a way to say "I got money" just like a Gucci belt, a bottle of Henney, or Balenciaga shoes. Interestingly enough, the two largest groups of iPhone owners are those in the upper middle class making 6 figures+, and those below the poverty line. Apple products don't actually do anything better than any other vendor in any way that's quantifiable.

Until the newer Macs, based on the M1, a Mac was nothing more than an overly expensive PC. If I look hard enough, I believe I even pointed this out here many years ago when comparing a Mac Pro to a Dell Precision workstation. I could match the Mac Pro spec for spec, even exceeding it in many ways, for FAR cheaper with a Dell.

I've got 24 years in IT and NetSec under my belt, and some of that time was spent supporting Macs. I can say wholeheartedly that Macs are no more secure, easier to work on, or any of that nonsense. There are tremendously large botnets out there that are running purely on Macs, and the owners are completely oblivious to it because they believe that MacOS is so secure. iOS has had over 40 exploits found so far this year, with hundreds every single year. And this is verifiable if you head over to CVE and run a search. There was a time not too long ago where you could directly access an iPhone's filesystem across wifi using a chain of exploits under Metasploit running on Linux. Shit took a couple of minutes to scan for the phone, launch the exploits, and "boom", all the pics and shit on your phone are now mine. Hell, it can probably still be done, just with newer exploits. When I was going through CEH training, me and a coworker would go to the Starbucks near the office and basically wreak havoc on anyone on the open wireless, but macs and iPhone users were especially fun 'cause they were just SO vulnerable.

As it pertains to audio, Macs being better at it was only back in the 90's, and even then that was on the way out when Steinberg introduced ASIO. Prior to that, the only reason to use a Mac was because ProTools was more stable on it and really for no other reason. I used to work with a small software company where I composed music and created character art and backgrounds for what was supposed to be their first video game release. I ran Cubase VST as did their primary musician except I ran it on a PC running Windows 95b and he ran it on a PowerMac 7600. He stayed having random freezes and hard OS lock-ups, forcing him to cycle power on his machine during sessions while I would only blue screen if I had too much going at once (which became less and less of a problem as I added more memory to my machine).

I've own Macs in the past, my middle daughter has an iPhone, apple watch, apple pen, and two ipads, but also keeps a Surface Pro and the PC I built for her. Watching her constantly blow money on her iphone is one of the reasons I'll never own anything by Apple ever again. Their stuff is substandard but pricey as hell. Airpods and Apple earbuds sound horrible for the price; I have a pair of Chinese made KZ IEM's that blow them away and I only paid $25 for 'em. The screens on all of my daughter's iPhones, starting with the 7, were ridiculously fragile, cracking after being dropped from a desk or table once, meanwhile after over a year of dropping my cheapie Galaxy J7 straight on it's face I've finally developed a crack two weeks ago. The features on new iPhones are generally two generations or more behind Android so there's no sense in paying the Apple premium for them. Apple's forced obsolescence means you don't have a choice but to upgrade your devices even if they're still technically useful.

My primary workstation that I use for my business (as well as play a game or two) is a Dell Precision 7910, released in 2014; the Apple equivalent would be a 2014 Mac Pro, aka the "trash can". The Mac Pro has always been a direct competitor to the Precision line as they typically use identical processors. My Precision is dual processor, the Mac Pro only one (mine has a pair of 16 core Xeons and I'm grabbing a pair of newer 22 core joints as soon as I can find a matched pair for a decent price). I can expand my machine up to 1TB of RAM (2TB unofficially, I currently have 160GB in mine and plan to expand it very soon); unofficially the Mac Pro will go up to 128GB (the official amount supported by Apple was 32GB). I have a 12GB Nvidia Quadro K6000 in my machine but could upgrade that to a newer Maxwell, Pascal, Turing, or Volta card without issue; you simply can't do that on a 2nd gen Mac Pro. This machine supports up to 8 internal hard drives or SSD's and can configure them in whatever RAID level I wish. Everything about my machine is superior to the trashcan Mac Pro that was released at the same time, yet my machine is far more useful today than the 2nd Gen Mac Pro and will remain useful thanks to the fact that I have some ridiculous upgrade options available. Oh, and it's quiet as hell. I haven't heard the fans running since the very first time I powered it up.

And I can keep going about this. Apple makes inferior products and charges a premium for them and Apple users continue to buy them despite the fact that superior options exist.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
In fl studio latest, whatever its at now, you highlight the channel you wish to send as a side chain then right click dial at the bottom of the mixer track with the compressor to duck then choose the send to track, or its something very similar. Thats it, then you go into the compressor and then its settings, then another tab, Im remembering off the top of my head, preferences or something, then select the channel as input and activate it by clicking the activate circle, if the compressor isnt ducking according to the input you sent, go back into the settings and choose the other numbered input, it should then work. Make sure you turn the ratio up too for ducking to happen. It sounds more complicated than it is tbh, most easy daw ive used for side chaining, and cubase is second.
You should try Studio One, you just click a send to the sidechain of whatever.
Alternatively you select the sidechain input from a drop down in the compressor.

But how do you set up reverbs or delays as sends?

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
You should try Studio One, you just click a send to the sidechain of whatever.
Alternatively you select the sidechain input from a drop down in the compressor.

But how do you set up reverbs or delays as sends?
Put the reverb on its own channel and then using the same method as before you can route a track to multiple other tracks, just highlight the track to send to the reverb channel, right click the dial at the bottom of the reverb channel and choose send to channel, then use the dial to set the send level.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
That's kinda how I view i'd use it. Use it for some of its sketching and audio pitching n whatnot. Live stuff too if i ever. But mix and stuff in Studio One.

Pro Tools really isn't locked anymore?
Yup it hasn’t been for probably a decade. You can use any audio interface you want with it now.

Also, I agree Studio One is the most forward thinking traditional DAWs on the market. It’s built by a bunch of the old cubase team. Cubase has some obscure features that no other DAWS do that make it amazing for film composing, but boy Studio One feels like the next evolution of Cubase overall. It’s amazing.

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
Ok take the challenge then fade, price out a Dell laptop right now with the exact same specs as a MacBook Pro and get back to me on the price. You will find them to be about the same price and the Dell will have worse build quality. And knowing the mac will likely last years longer makes it much cheaper. The TOTAL cost of ownership of Apple products are significantly less then windows counterparts. Again even IBM in their massive cost study found this to be true. Literally the pixel 6 pro is around 899 and I just priced out an iPhone 13 pro at 1k, so again within 10%ish the reality is for some reason you just don’t like Apple and want to hate them irrationally.
I bought a new laptop in 2008 for around $1.1k and used it for 10 years. First Windows than Linux. Beat that with Apple.