Why Are You Here?!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
No, not in some huge existential way.

But why are you here, now, on the ill?

We all probably had very similar reasons for joining from probably a very small handful of reasons.

But a lot have probably fulfilled some of the initial reasons.

Why I ask is, the ill is a great resource. There's lots that can be done with it, lots of ways to make use of it. But no one really seems to be engaging much with threads and posts. No one teaching, no one reaching. People more so seem to just engage with the politics of things.

So how are you taking value from the ill? How are you utilising it? It could be a massssive benefit if used in the right ways.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
To whip some ass from time-to-time...talk shit, annoy others while learning how to be a better person from all of it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Good topic.

I've said it countless times though - the lack of engagement is simply it's a sign of the times. Social media has drastically changed how people interact online, so when I write an article and get zero comments (which is intended to lead to a discussion), I chalk it up to that.

The like button is great, and I use it often, but if I click it and don't reply to a post it's because sometimes a post doesn't need a reply, so liking is ideal. But I think people are just used to scrolling quickly through countless images and video clips (that seems to be getting shorter by the day), so if they come to a forum they don't know how to act.

I'm assuming that eventually people will get tired of just social media posts so they'll come to a place like ILL, but that depends if they're mature or not. Most likely the younger ones don't care about reading an article or learning about beat making. They'd rather just have someone show them in 5 seconds how to make a beat. It's sad.

I know that when there's a battle there's a lot of traffic here, but without a battle it's like an abandoned building with scary entities roaming the hallways. Sometimes there's a gap of about 2 weeks between Beat This or Warzone so that's when there's lots of emptiness.

The main thing I don't understand is why there aren't more post about the latest software or hardware. Discussions about some new trick you figured out, or how you spilled your drink on your keyboard and now you're sad. :(

But that's just the threads/posts issue.

I'd like to know why people come here to begin with.

[CONTINUE]

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Good topic.

I've said it countless times though - the lack of engagement is simply it's a sign of the times. Social media has drastically changed how people interact online, so when I write an article and get zero comments (which is intended to lead to a discussion), I chalk it up to that.

The like button is great, and I use it often, but if I click it and don't reply to a post it's because sometimes a post doesn't need a reply, so liking is ideal. But I think people are just used to scrolling quickly through countless images and video clips (that seems to be getting shorter by the day), so if they come to a forum they don't know how to act.

I'm assuming that eventually people will get tired of just social media posts so they'll come to a place like ILL, but that depends if they're mature or not. Most likely the younger ones don't care about reading an article or learning about beat making. They'd rather just have someone show them in 5 seconds how to make a beat. It's sad.

I know that when there's a battle there's a lot of traffic here, but without a battle it's like an abandoned building with scary entities roaming the hallways. Sometimes there's a gap of about 2 weeks between Beat This or Warzone so that's when there's lots of emptiness.

The main thing I don't understand is why there aren't more post about the latest software or hardware. Discussions about some new trick you figured out, or how you spilled your drink on your keyboard and now you're sad. :(

But that's just the threads/posts issue.

I'd like to know why people come here to begin with.

[CONTINUE]
@Fade My serious tame/lame answer is originally, to just check out and participate in the battles and then I discovered that this is much more of a community. As far as some additional growth strategies idk, maybe have some live events, bring on some guest DJs and make it more live and interactive contests could bring in more people consistently. I know one trend is live reaction streams on YouTube so when you are doing the AOTB, maybe do a video showing your criteria or facial expressions when you hear a beat could work or make a new Battle Type called "Beats Me" and show the live reactions to beats on Youtube (wearing your Jason Mask). Although this is a mostly audio platform, Video visuals is a powerful weapon in your arsenal.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@Fade My serious tame/lame answer is originally, to just check out and participate in the battles and then I discovered that this is much more of a community. As far as some additional growth strategies idk, maybe have some live events, bring on some guest DJs and make it more live and interactive contests could bring in more people consistently. I know one trend is live reaction streams on YouTube so when you are doing the AOTB, maybe do a video showing your criteria or facial expressions when you hear a beat could work or make a new Battle Type called "Beats Me" and show the live reactions to beats on Youtube (wearing your Jason Mask). Although this is a mostly audio platform, Video visuals is a powerful weapon in your arsenal.
Yeah exactly. I've been meaning to do live streams but I'm either sidetracked doing coding or other personal stuff to take care of.

I thought about doing a variation of AOTB but instead, my feedback is brutal and honest!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544

Yeah this and the quote below is what I was getting at.

Like, look, I don't doubt if people be like 'how to make a...' they'll just head straight to YouTube for some tutorial. But people could even be here like (how we sometimes do), posting those videos in a thread that can then be explored/talked about and share ideas.

I get why a lot of the 'how do I make a' type threads would be less.

For sure, I'm sure plenty have loads of tricks. And my point also is...

We all probably had very similar reasons for joining from probably a very small handful of reasons.

But a lot have probably fulfilled some of the initial reasons.

So... when signing up here, the reasons are more than likely few of the following; want to learn/get better at making hip-hop; want to join hip-hop community to grow and build with; to build hip-hop network/following; to collab.

Now, there's a fair few who probably we've reached the goal of 'getting better' (yes can always get more better, but you get my point), and others are clearly still learning/growing --- so I'm surprised why there are not many 'hey can you help me' posts or posts like i made trying to offer people --- and then also surprised no one wants help?! (When, said in a nice way, some clearly would benefit from help).

So then there's the, okay you're already dope now.. now what? Do you want to achieve something, put actual product / records out? Start something, etc.

There's so many things that ill can be used for even when you reach your initial goals.

I guess some may just be here to kill time/hobby/fun. And that's why only the battles get much activity. But should take the opportunity of this great platform to do more.

Imho anyway.

I joined after lurking for a while as a guest then see the community and to be fair initially hearing some guys beats then listening to mine put me off for a while as I felt embarrassed to compete or even share until I had a word with myself and commited.

I remember my first upload literally thinking ‘I’ve gotta fit it into 2 minutes what’s the best way to even start? Intro, chorus, outro fuck!!’ so studying other ILLiens helped then realised many supportive peeps willing to give pointers on where and how to improve.

I joined with zero knowledge of mixing apart from maybe lower this or that. Then listening to others ‘bring that forward a bit’ , ‘everything in the mix is down the centre’ ‘nice but put a little reverb on it’ and on and on. Ongoing with this…

Nothing but appreciation and knowledge that if I was singularly using YouTube tutorials it would have taken way longer to learn.

Battles and the lead up keep it fun , articles as well as new and old tracks. Flip this section dope!

Not many really engaging in the showcase or even giving feedback. People are busy, I get that but you don’t have to post in the showcase to give feedback back.

I’ve recently been giving more feedback as my confidence grows in certain areas but others have a wealth of knowledge but they just don’t take the time to share whilst all in the chat.

Again it’s time as well, we can’t all be here giving advice but frustrating seeing 2 or 3 members online with 40 or so guests lurking, sign up people most of us don’t bite!

Home Improvement Halloween GIF by Laff

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
I feel that the title of this thread should be squarely aimed at @OGBama lol.
Idk, maybe she is looking for left hand side when all who comes here is right hand side
sexy chris farley GIF by Saturday Night Live

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @Fade came here to be part of a Hip Hop community that I lack offline and I hope this site doesn’t fade away (no pun intended).