Who Prefers LoFi?

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
My favorite thing to do when I make beats is to try to dirty the sounds up as much as possible (without becoming annoying). I'm drawn to the static and pops. Sometimes I use the a static sound as an instrument. Anyone else like lofi? Or is it just annoying?

Ctrl

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
its hot if its done right.

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
Yes, I stay analog until I have to digitize for cd burning. I want shit to sound old and dirty...and dirrrtaaay!

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I like variation but im not the type to go out of my way to sound lo fi cos u can tell sometimes when it sounds forced.

but some beats tend to come out grimey and some come out clean I dont wanna have all clean stuff or all dirty beats i wanna be able to do both.

C

Carpe Diem

yup i like lofi on certain beats...usually if its a kinda dark street beat then i go for the lofi option...

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i like stuff like the mellotron and also ARP Odyssey and oscar synths (all quite 'grimy')and i sample stuff but i don't 'dirty' things up very often like bitcrushing etc.

C

Carpe Diem

bitcrushing can sound kinda bogus....i personally prefer resampling snares n hats to get that dirty feel without losing too much sharpness...

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I like to do that to certain samples in a song. I had some organ rifffs from a Sound CD that sounded super clean. I crushed the quality to make it sound like I sampled an old Shirley Scott record.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I was wondering about that... if I use fruity, and I want that lofi sound... would I have to lower the sample rate/quality of the sound in a sound editor (like cool edit, for instance) or is there a way to do it tru a plugin?

I think I already know the answer, but I must say, I have a very hard time with evaluating the quality of a sound (if a sound sounds nice) on MY beats...

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
The Infamous is one of the dirtiest records i ever heard.

sAfE.

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
I like it when you actaully record it from a worn record, its 100 times better if the sample is dope!

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
philsiarri said:
I like it but I never force it.

yea it can sound really good but if you force it and put ito n too heavy it just sounds like the song is really crap quality ! dre has a perfect technique in having his production completely crisp and yet it still sounds grimey !

ill o.g.
Yeah with me, it's not so much an intentional thing. I mean I'll resample things at a lower rate to make it sound a little gritty. And if I'm recording and there's a little pop or static, I might leave it. If I'm playing the keyboard and if I hit it slightly off key, I might just leave it. It's weird, I just think sometimes the slight imperfections are dope. It humanizes the sound.