Who gave you the desire 2 start producing?

Phonetik

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Always played instruments. But I started playing the drums when I was 14 (jazz band) then started to dj in college. After that I wanted to make some of my own shit. SO I bought a machine for 500 bones. I have to say playing the drums helped alot.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
My dad has always been into music so he threw me on the bass so rite then in ther i liked makin music,but my dad didnt know how to apply it to the music i was listen to,hip-hop, he just wanted me to play all the music he grew up with so i later gave it up for a minute...then i heard timbaland and fell in luv with his beats.but then i though makin a beat in hip hop was like learnin to play an instrument something that takes years and years until u can play well enuff to make a livin off(i know it takes years to master producing hip hop too,but be honest it probaly took all of a day for us to make a beat that would pass for whats being played on the radio nowadays). Then my cousin showed me fruity and how to structure a beat and it was a rap.....so i guess it was a mixture of my Dad ,Tim,and my cousin who got me to produce....preach

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Well i always listened hiphop, at some point in time i decided (fairly late) to rap, i hooked up with some guys among a certain fellow named formant, and another guy on who's beat i rapped like some 30 tracks, 20 which i think are dope enough to come out at some time but not on his beats.
The guy who i did those tracks with, a good friend, but he wasnt motivated in finishing the beats of.
So i decided too do it the hard and longer way, with the guidance of formant and other friends i started makin beats. i always respected a lot of hiphopproducers, like el p, opus, blockhead, old paris shit, stoupe,, they are al great but werent my inspiration. I think concerning skillz, knowledge and so on the first person who's level i would like to maintain is formant. Ya heard me formant, some day i will leech your brain of its creative and technical knowledge hahaha. respect!

I am glad i decided to make my own beats so now it will take somewhat longer before my shit drops but in the meanwhile i am progressing with my mc skillz also.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I'd have to say Primo, Ice Cube and Erick Sermon made me want to be a producer.

Gangstarr - The Manifest Video and Just To Get a Rep

When I saw Primo in the background...I said, I wanna be that guy, making the music in the background. That was around the era when I started paying attention to hip hop. I was listening to the radio for the most part but after I heard Ice Cube - N*gga Ya Love To Hate - that made me pay more attention to production. I didn't actually want to do it until I met this guy named Gab using an old Boss sampler and I realized that you didn't have to be anone special just to mamke beats.

It took me a little while longer to go ahead and make the jump into production.
But...I'd have to say Primo, Ice Cube and Erick Sermon made me want to be a producer.

ill o.g.
Wu-Tang 36 Chambers album was when i did what Classic did, like "Shit, i gotta figure out how they do this!"

Then when i heard (Havoc's) "Last Day" feat. LOX on Life After Death and started buyin some Mobb Deep, i was like "This my kinda music" and i started buyin magazines and books about the shit. Then buyin cheap turntables and etc.......

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
im started making beats cause i was tired of recording my vocals on instrumentals. I didn't feel like i owned my songs when i finished. now i own it all but the samples.. but hey the only way ill ever get noticed enough to worry about that is if i have make dough from them... if i see shit goign in that direction that i would start licensing the samples. honestly im not counting on making any money from this. I just need it

Obsidian Blue

Igneous
ill o.g.
The artists that were being sampled, to tell you the truth. Once I found the originals to alot of my favorite songs, I got to see how the songs were being made, and I got to hear the original that I liked better than the rap song. I got a hold of a free wave editor in Goldwave where I could reloop the song like a Pete Rock or Premier. Once one of my friends introduced me Acid, thats where it begun. From there, the list of producers went a little like this.......

Pete Rock
Premier
Jay Dee
Ali Shaheed Muhammad
The Rza
Havoc
Beatminers
Ski
NoID
DITC (mainly Diamond D)
Erick Sermon
De La Soul
The Art Of Noise(yeah, that's right)
Herbie Hancock(My fav musician PERIOD)
Antonio Carlos Jobim(my first latin influence, it got me to start paying more attention to my drums)
Bob James(That's just a nasty man in general)
The Crusaders
The Mizell Brothers

Most importantly, a lot of producers on the internet, even the horrible ones. There's nothing like a lesson teaching you what NOT to do.....

G-French

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It had to be the Wu-Tang. I would listen to 36 chamber all day long. The Rza would make jsu so off the wall music. I had never heard anything like that before in my life. That is what got me started just listening to the Wu Classics.

Complexxx

Hip Hop Apprentice
ill o.g.
Ya'll might laugh at my answer to this

Yo, this shit might be a little tripped out. But the one person that got me wanting to actually go out and spend all this damn money to make beats was my ex-wifes ex-boyfriend. He ended up dating one of her friends and we went to his crib to kick it for a while in New Orleans....and I was in awe of all the equipoment he had in his set up. Then he played me a couple of his beats and I was like yo....I'ma try my hands at that shit. Needless to say i'm a bit of a slow learner but i'm stickin with it.

young_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If i had to name a producer that got me wanting to mak beats, i would have to say the Rza from the wu tang. What really push me to just take the chance at was my ex girl friend that i met in college. My freshman year she told me by the end of my first semester i should know what i wanted to do in life, and at the time i only wanted to go to the nba or make music. I started to go hard a music cause the nba thing never came close. Im glad she put that presure on me

B

Boltz

Listening to The Prodigy "Fat of the Land" while I was mowing the lawn one day really made me want to make music. Then it was "I'll be missing you" and anything by Dre.