Who do you think is the greatest MC???

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I hope you guys all know that topics like this end up with a million replies with just names listed. So please give a REASON why you think so and so is the "greatest MC" rather than just putting a name.

Topics like this have also been closed SO many times, so let's keep it cool in here.

As for me, I can't pinpoint one MC of all time, but KRS, LL, Rakim should all be up there.

KRS - always coming with the dope freestyles and the type of rhymes to make you think.
Rakim - just his voice!
LL Cool J - has shown everyone that he can come with the hard stuff, or switch it up and get mellow. Plus, everyone that has challenged him has suffered a loss.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
aint tryin to knock nobody but please keep in mind he said "the best MC" that is not plural, shit get outta hand and people go off on tangents list one person.

Nasir Jones - hes more than a rapper, hes a street poet and cant nobody fuck wit him lyrically cuz the niggas words have meaning. i dont care how wild anybodys imagination is as far as Luda or Slim go at the end of the day u want somebody to share your issues and spit em back at u in forms in which most of us cant.

E

Equality 7-2521

KRS ONE

- KRS has represented for Hiphop since the very beggining in the days of the Zulu Nation all the way up to the present day. Its not hard to tell, with the founding of "The Temple Of Hiphop" and various other projects, that this entire journey of his has been dedicated to advocating Hiphop as a culture to be lived out in order to benifit humanity as a whole. This in itself is something that all Hiphop heads should respect. On top of his dedication to Hiphop's message, KRS has shown one of the most diverse arrays of lyrical style ever heard. From calm story telling to hardcore heavy spitting, KRS had it all....and more.

Rakim and other cats are dope....but none of them did for Hiphop what KRS did.

word

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
KRS One, Rakim, LL Cool J are all legends and are all worthy of the G.O.A.T. label. For me personally though it would be either;

1) Tupac - he made incredible music that I and many millions of people felt. He is an incredible artist in every respect.
2) Eminem - incredible rhyme skills AND a special ability to make classic songs and albums. Overall an amazing artist.
3) B.I.G. - his flow was superb and he made some really dope songs and albums, y'all already know this I'm sure.

changalang

i make beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
personally, i love Big L as the best lyricist of all time. both of his albums were rediculous. Just listen to his 7 minute freestyle with jay-z, he murdered him! Or listen to ebonics, i dunno which rapper out right now could match a song like this. lemme just end this with 1 of my favorite L lines "I'm so far ahead of my time my parents haven't met yet"

fatsdowrong

"SNAPPIN' SKULZ"
ill o.g.
IT HAS TO BE KRS #1
GURU#2
SLICK RICK#3
GHOSTFACE #4
AND POSSIBLY ME BRINGIN IN THE REAR, LOL..... NAH
AND A TIE BETWEEN RAEKWON AND NAS...
ONE LOVE.

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
Tupac Amaru Shakur

Pac
Tupac wasnt just an mc he was a rapper/poet/revolutionary. Not to mention the amount of versatility that he had in his song makin anything form I get around to Brendas got a Baby or I Wonder if Heaven got a ghetto to When We ride on our enemies. Another one of Pac's strngths was his ability to relate with people in the gutter and give a vivid street narrative to where the record sales were being made (White suburban America). Also his truth, at no point would Pac sit down and write and it would just be about bullshit, everything was either his life or what was really goin on in the hood. When Tupac wanted you to feel him you felt him like in Dear Mama, and when Pac wanted you to be afraid of him you were (even though he was only like 5'9 120lbs) like in Bomb First or Who shot ya. Also Pacs ability to bring the best in other rapper's made him great, most of the outlawz are garbage without Pac (except Fatal) and to this day rappers all over are using his rhymes in their lyrics, even his enemies (like Jay-z, and Nas) constantly give him props, use his lyrics and are featured in remixes (Me and my girlfriend, thug mansion). Ill put it like this realistically how many rappers out right now will be remembered like Pac? You know a man has an effect on people if they dont want to let him go and deny his death

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Originally posted by fatsdowrong
IT HAS TO BE KRS #1
GURU#2
SLICK RICK#3
GHOSTFACE #4
AND POSSIBLY ME BRINGIN IN THE REAR, LOL..... NAH
AND A TIE BETWEEN RAEKWON AND NAS...
ONE LOVE.

not to hate on you but your list was based more on chronological order than actual skill, i think sometimes we overlook skill and judge by the respect or time an artist has been around even if they were just good by todays standards.to say that Rakim is the greates lyricist of all time would be crazy after all weve seen but out of rspect for the man its still said, if he were to come out now i dont hink his lyrics would be viewd the same way even with the commercial shit aside.

fatsdowrong

"SNAPPIN' SKULZ"
ill o.g.
you can truthfully say that krs isnt one of the best if not THE best?
and guru, come on......skills speaks for itself thats less than a year old, goin back to the militia, now your mine,.......shiet
slick rick, wasnt he rhymin way before all of em? children's story? the sun? ......
and i wont say nothin on the slang doctors ghost and raekwon, they need no expl...
but nas???????? you hurtin me!!!!!!
there's alot of underground catz i didnt bother to mention only because we said greatest of all time, and if everyone hasnt heard em' why bring up controversy in here?

fatsdowrong

"SNAPPIN' SKULZ"
ill o.g.
i feel you..... pac was my time and i feel all his rhymes, bein from the bay its a must to love him......but peep some of krs's old shit, even his new stuff.DAMN thats a real modern day pioneer....he set standards for hip hop and raised the bar always!
he always spit nothin less than the real, if you listen the topics then and now are exactly the same, p is free...... madizm.......the bridge is over.....you need to get up on this, like all professions hip hop has a history. no matter who you are if you want in you need to know, this is knowledge dont hold yourself back.....
peace

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Yo fatsdowrong,,I'm feelin what you sayin on my man Krs,,,Goldy,,if ya feel you were to young,,,check out some of Krs stuff now and then!!! as far as Pac,,,I was never a really big fan of his,,but the brother was so dam talented!!! I was never on that Gangsta side of him,,but the knowledge he dropped was on point!!!

I think Pac was mad more talented then BIGGIE too. Did you know that Biggie never wrote his rhymes down,,,he memorized all of them,,for real! I think this is why he billed "the greatest". But does this really make you that great? All his rhymes sounded recycled,,,same ol, same ol'...Sure Biggie was on point with the flow,,but the content was stale,,,Pac did reinvent himself on every album.

As far as the both late great cats,,,I must say in my opinion,,aren't even in my top 10.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
i said it was "based" chronolgicaly i never said it was in chronological order, and i do think krs is one of the best but i dont think he is number 1 and i personally think that you would be crazy think that guru is number 2..ahead of every mc alive.known or not, its crazy that hes even ahead of the people u have on your list dun...but this goes back to my first post...its not supposed to be a LIST its supposed to be your VOTE (SINGULAR) FOR "THE" (ALSO SINGULAR) GREATES MC, NOT YOUR TOP 5 LIST WIT AN HONORABLE MENTION.
everybody got they own list but keep it at one please.damn.

i would comment on stress sayin pac aint top ten but thats another tangent that dont need to be visited.

fatsdowrong

"SNAPPIN' SKULZ"
ill o.g.
word guevara i feel you on that stregnth......
thats just my opinion anywayz, we on different sides of the spectrum but still see the same light, thats word born cousin! i just always felt guru's voice lyrics and style, since i was in the early stages, plus he always sounded like premo's beats.....if ya read me.i cant limit myself to say thats in stone....thats just my view as of today,maniana might bring a new mc out of the shadows that shades all of em'

E

Equality 7-2521

Originally posted by Goldy_C
iM NOT REALLY FEELIN krs THAT MUCH (PROLLY BECAUSE THAT WAS BEFORE MY TIME AND i RELATE BETTER TO THOSE WHO HAVE THE SAME ISSUES ANS ME).

krs was so far ahead of his time that he was ahead of our time too.

i think krs is the best of all time cos hes about the only mc who HAS been here all the time.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Mr. Messenger

i think krs is the best of all time cos hes about the only mc who HAS been here all the time.

krs was ahead of his time, but its statements like this that make me feel the way that i do, nothing against u Mess u know i dont have a beef wit u, and im not hating on krs or guru i listen to both and i think that they are both talented people but if u put them in a room wit todays mcs and make them spit and have them judged by somebody who has no hip hop history knowledge but can recognize talent or a godd lyricist, they would not be top 10.
thats just how it is, they was callin stevie wonder the king of pop and shit until mike established himself as a solo artist and took over, some people just get pushed out they spots.CiTY

E

Equality 7-2521

lol...ofcourse no beef with us mate!

the thing is, i completely agree that they would not measure up to todays MCs. krs would be up there with the BEST but not the VERY best...of which there are only several (that i know of) but the topic was best of all time. and todays MCs HAVNT been around all the time like KRS. guru is dope but average on the best of all time list. its a pretty big call saying that nas is the best of all time...

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The best way to choose the closes person to being number one is to put a list of criteria that make a great MC/rapper. Then put the top three of each criteria, whom ever is the common denaminator in each category would be the closes to that.

Be honest with yourself and put personal preference to the side.

Pac gone be there on those list more than anybody, or you're just flat lying to yourself.

Put it like this, ask this question in 20years.