When selling beats online, does email marketing still works?

Hey everyone, when selling beats online, does email marketing still works?

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Ask @slimegreenbeats re: email marketing but you'd do well to work w/artists in studio if you are fortunate to do so. Also be highly selective as to who you work with. Peeps are insane and clout chasers these days.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Selling @Iron Keys beats is the new MLM hence “producers” selling courses re: marketing

@OGBama @Iron Keys Yeah email marketing works although it's getting less and less effective in my opinion. I personally have never bought anything off of an email marketing campaign.

In my opinion, the key to selling beats is by building a client base. Basically finding people that like your kind of beats and interacting with them, getting placements with them, then letting them know you have a service. I also personally will sell a beat for just about any price. Especially if I'm just sending a wave file. I think it's more important to get a sale than not get one at all since clients are difficult to find in this industry.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
@OGBama @Iron Keys Yeah email marketing works although it's getting less and less effective in my opinion. I personally have never bought anything off of an email marketing campaign.

In my opinion, the key to selling beats is by building a client base. Basically finding people that like your kind of beats and interacting with them, getting placements with them, then letting them know you have a service. I also personally will sell a beat for just about any price. Especially if I'm just sending a wave file. I think it's more important to get a sale than not get one at all since clients are difficult to find in this industry.

I've never had "selling beats" spoke about or suggested as a viable career path/business in music in that sense. In regards to conversations I've had with reputable people in the industry.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

I've never had "selling beats" spoke about or suggested as a viable career path/business in music in that sense. In regards to conversations I've had with reputable people in the industry.

What are your thoughts and experiences?
I would say it's a challenge but by no means impossible as a career. In 2022, you have to be really good at graphic or video design to get lots of views on YouTube in order to drive traffic. You also have to brand right and things like that.

There's definitely beatmakers / YouTubers that make a lot of money. I make like 500/month off YouTube ad rev and I only get like 80-90k views / month. I see some beatmakers getting that per beat, then you have to factor in the sales per beat video. You probably get a sale every 10k views from what I've seen.

But again, it's all about determination and what you really want, and then seeing what works for you. Like for example, I find it way easier to just make tutorials and sell a book on Amazon. I think people buy it more, not as many people do it. So it works for me. At this point in my career, I only make beats to upload and to share with friends and family, basically feeding the streets.

Also I think aiming for a major placement is a better strategy than random sales. I personally knew OG Parker, not a lot, but I managed a soccer team that he played for in college. I know he just showed up to studios and pushed his beats like that. Obviously that worked really well for him in terms of making money.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I hate always when people talking about "your brand" and stuff as an artist/producer, not that it's not important, but when you see people trying to 'have a brand', it often has real forced n real corny vibes.

I think for most, especially as a producer/artist, I think 'seeing themselves as a business' more often than not has a negative impact, as they start de-personalising.

One of the most important aspects of building a brand, as an artist right now, is authenticity and 'realness'. No filter type ish. This is something I've noticed, but also what was told to me a month ago by senior member of the music marketing team for a major.

I'm not saying the former can't work for someone, in the right way it can. But I think people who are trying to be an individual, but then treat themselves as a business end up getting stuck in a middle ground as opposed to being one or the other. Personal or impersonal.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Every @Iron Keys artist/producer in today’s era needs to have a personal filter e.g. I’ve always had and do have a huge respect for people who keep some form of mystery to themselves. Not a fan of TMZ-ass rappers and singers, point blank period. Here for your music if it’s quality and sensible, not for your arrest record(s), Baby Mama or Baby Daddy bullshit, etc.

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Every @Iron Keys artist/producer in today’s needs to have a personal filter e.g. I’ve always had and do have a huge respect for people who keep some form of mystery to themselves. Not a fan of TMZ-ass rappers and singers, point blank period. Here for your music if it’s quality and sensible, not for your arrest record(s), Baby Mama or Baby Daddy bullshit, etc.
this is not really the aspect i was talking about. it's about the personal element.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @Iron Keys know what you mean e.g. first X amount of peeps to reply to my IG story, etc. can get access to a live stream studio session etc. that kind of thing.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I @Iron Keys know what you mean e.g. first X amount of peeps to reply to my IG story, etc. can get access to a live stream studio session etc. that kind of thing.
kinda, it doesn't have to be that deep.
it's just about being human. so the fans see you as a person. don't even have to be interacting with them, tho of course this is an avenue that also works.

fuck it, you could be mega secretive and it work for you, in a world where everyone else isn't. Like all things, you just gotta do it right, and hope it hits with the right people.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
kinda, it doesn't have to be that deep.
it's just about being human. so the fans see you as a person. don't even have to be interacting with them, tho of course this is an avenue that also works.

fuck it, you could be mega secretive and it work for you, in a world where everyone else isn't. Like all things, you just gotta do it right, and hope it hits with the right people.

This comes down to 'knowing your fans/audience' as well.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
The @Iron Keys know your fans/audience part matters highly. Attorney James L. Walker author of “This Business of Urban Music” gave the example of artists so caught up in getting a deal that they would send demos to literally any label(s) with no thought as to genre(s).

Another instance of this is in “The Singer’s Handbook” by Gloria Rusch where she recalls having students concerned w/record deals before their first voice lesson(s).

Last edited: