when is hiphop going global?

jwalk

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i know its all over the world right now and its a spreading culture but when are we gonna have places like germany china or canada blowing up like down south is blown up right now when are we gonna have differnt artist from other countries that is raw hiphop going double and triple platnum burning up the charts do yall see that possible do yall see mtv live in egypt for spring bling because the hottest group out is from there when is hiphop gonna take over the world?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
It won't be long, I heard some dope Japanese hip hop at a workshop on Saturday!!!! the beats were made by a producer here though but nonetheless it was dope.....the thing is I don't think what is overseas will ever be setting the trend as far as MC's and Styles but possibly the music might start getting even...that's universal...but its all relative but most cats I know overseas always look across the water for ideas and what they should be doing....I dunno if thats the right method or if they should be starting local trends and saying Fugg BET, MTV and all of the commercial representations in the media as far as what they attempt to emulate....

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
YO its cool that hip hop is spreading
but i doubt it will get to the point where other countries will be setting trends in the innercity.

THe direction of hip hop has, and always will be determined by lowerclass black american youth. And the innercities
Thats not gonna change.

But i do see other countries developing there own hip hop scenes, but still they will always take there lead from black american youth

class...

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Hip hop ALREADY has taken over the world, it's just that global hip hop has not taken over America.

Take care,

Nick

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
however, mainstream has gotten a bit out of hand... alot of suburbanites have started making innercity sounds, this isn't a bad thing, but I felt like the industry turned for the worse a few years ago. It turned mostly to sell the most copies. I know this isn't bad, why else would someone go into this industry?

But...

A few years ago, mac mall was talkin bout maggotz on my glock & my opinion, spice one was sayin peace to my muthafuccn nine, and the click was all about rockn up my birdie on the hilltop lol... It was about what really goes on deep in the communities, and how people are affected by things such as racism and crooked cops... now it's all gettin rich and havin (plus making in the industry) a fine bitch.

Now peeps are mostly talkin about bling blingz, diamond rimz & ringz, but my dreams run a lil deeper than these material thingz, cats love prada, but let's see some street action that's hotta...

I guess, whatever, money and fame are cool, but when are we goin to get back to the roots of things.

I hope other countries get the point of this genre and where it comes from, but I also hope that we, as Americans, can remember what it's truly all about, or at least what it's always been about (shoutz to the elder generation X up in here

:grin:

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
It has already spread i noticed however that on the whole in the UK the music is much more underground and has much more of a message than the commercial stuff from the US, a bit like the music made when hip hop first started out over there but no doubt it will go the same way as the US and in years to come the UK rap scene will be about bling bling etc ! there are however a few exceptions from the UK who just blatently rip off the US stlye !

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
vitaminman said:
Hey,

Hip hop ALREADY has taken over the world, it's just that global hip hop has not taken over America.

Take care,

Nick

Perfect! the truth told in one sentence!

E

Equality 7-2521

i think the key is for cunts to open up their minds. heaps of cats wont toleratre somehting from another country just cos of the accent for example. fuck that shit. good hiphop is good hiphop.....find it, buy it and spread it.

C

Copenhagen

Danish Hip-Hop is mostly in danish and underground, so it will never spread futher than the borders of Denmark, I think. Though, we do have a group named Outlandish, who have spread to most of Europe, toured with Busta and who will attempt to hit the states...question is if they will make it.

Anyway, we do have some producers who've produced for well known rappers and r&b singers around the globe, mostly UK and USA though.

jwalk

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Copenhagen said:
Danish Hip-Hop is mostly in danish and underground, so it will never spread futher than the borders of Denmark, I think. Though, we do have a group named Outlandish, who have spread to most of Europe, toured with Busta and who will attempt to hit the states...question is if they will make it.

Anyway, we do have some producers who've produced for well known rappers and r&b singers around the globe, mostly UK and USA though.

so why can the spice girls come and invade america or the beatles and sell kazillions of records for pop and rock music but it hasnt happend for hiphop yet?

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
I think it's because the shit was born in the slums of america and was looked somewhat down upon during the it's first twenty or so years... the charts were dominated by madonna and huey lewis, Run DMC made a breakthrough to the white kids with the guitar riffs and the fact that aerosmith played with em, but not too many rap/hip hop songs made it. When it started going hardcore, the rich white industrialists REALLY hated it and the governemtnt worked part time just banning some shit, like Luke Sywalker etc...

However, if you look at america's rock n roll, it all kinda sounded euro to an extent.. right? so the door was kind of open in that aspect, but hip hop has always had it's very own flavor and it's own style...

I think that the time is near that we will be seeing some serious stuff come from abroad... look at how many india samples we have... how long will it be for an egyptian rap star? who know, but I bet it will be kinda dope to hear it.

-=[P E A C E]=-

tony needles

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Its already global in certain places, but it'll be taken to another level when the time comes around...I got some big plans when it comes to that, i'll stop there for now
Tony in Queens

Peep my beats in the artist section

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i heard alot of international hiphop... some good... alot of it is wack as shit.... the leader will allways be american inner cities.... where it came from.... some of those kids just cant do it right... and the fact that they would simply try to emulate some american shit they see on tv makes it hard for them to drop anything real.... think about it ... the cats that make good music are generally emersed in hip hop culture wether we know it or not.... it a lifestyle.... you cant just re create it somwhere that the culture is not... i mean there is alot of decent cats comin out of japan say, but alot more of it is fake ass bullshit.... worse commercialization than over here even is what my homeboy from tokyo has told me... but i mean imagine some kids in some european sub burb trying to make some hiphop because they think its cool... or some british cat whose worst city crime is some hooligans knocking over a dustbin.... i think it would be real hard for some hip hop to come out of there.....

K

Kramit

Totally agree with Classic, but its what the internationals do with it from there. Sometimes its just whack what they do with it, but sometimes it can be alright. Like a friend of mine whose from Norway who chucked on some Norwegian hip hop in his apartment once. It has a bit of a following there and it doesn't sound too bad.

Egypt seems to be a popular place to have ish blowin up! That'd be cool, especially because it has never taken off there, and when I think of how it was when I was livin there, I can hardly imagine any of the people there, especially some of my cousins, riffing or nothin. But then again maybe! Beats wise I reckon theyd do pretty good, they got a fairly good sense of rythm and pattern. And hip hop IS pretty damn global at the moment.

And oh yeh, I think Aussie hip hop is shyte! The majority anyway. Its all sounds too same. Now I know some poeple will shut me down bad for this but its my personal opinion and taste. By the way Mr. Messenger, dont take this to heart. I havent heard any of your stuff, it could be fuckin awesome for all I know, but I'm just being very general. And in being general I just think the accent really doesn't work. I know I shouldnt be just concentrating on accent, but production wise, it could do with a bit of a change of direction. All the stuff I've heard doesnt appeal to me. I've heard many different mcs and they all seem to have to same pattern of tone and rythm: very boring.

Anyway, there's my two cents.

Kramit

C

Copenhagen

jwalk said:
so why can the spice girls come and invade america or the beatles and sell kazillions of records for pop and rock music but it hasnt happend for hiphop yet?

I'm not really sure why you wrote this to me...I didn't say Hip-Hop couldn't...I just said that most of our Hip-Hop is in danish, so even if it get's better than it's current level, then I don't think it will go further than Denmark because of the language barrier. However, we do have a few english speaking groups, and one of those, as I mentioned, has already hit most of Europe with success, and will attempt the states at one point too.

The reason most global hip-hop doesn't make it to the states is because they try to emulate the US style. When there's already tons of cats in the US doing this, why should people check out these e.g. European cats if they style is no different and the US rapper already has a local fanbase and a name of some sort.
Most of the stuff that doesn't emulate the US style is either very experiemental or simply wack.
The reason this one danish group is doing well is because their style isn't american. One is from Cuba, another from Pakistan and the third is from Morocco...so the style they have from each of the original countries mixed together with danish stuff has made them different in a good way.

Danish HipHop/Rap and R&B producers are doing okay though, with productions for Alkaholiks, Ice Cube, the late Eazy E, Mack 10, WC, Rakim, Black Eyed Peas, Nelly, the late Tupac, Shabazz The Disciple, Maylay Sparks etc, and the R&B side you'll find productions for Mary J. Blige, Brandy, Whitney Houston, T-Boz, Monica etc

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
I knew this cat who was born in egypt and he "rocked out" all the time on his bass guitar.. he was a musical genious... most of his shit sounded funky as hell and I would love to have that shit on one of my tracks...

That's where I got that idea anyhow... but the sitaar and the indonesian typw sound has my ear right now. I have another friend who listens to persian type stuff and it would be hittin for a sample... nobody has it just right though.

We also need some angst type rap from a celtic (ire or scot) rapper since they lived so long under the broken rules of another nation... that would be some angry but funky stuff.

that's my piece...

C

Copenhagen

There has been a whole lot of R&B and some rap with Middle Eastern, Indian and Far Eastern stuff, so it isn't new.

Also, regarding the irish stuff, what about House of Pain?

M

MIKELABZ

Wow 2 Pages Of This. Never Thought Such An Oblivious Question Could Garner Such A Obvious Response.