Whats the word on sample cd's and disks?

The Konductor

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Are these sample library disks any good? I just work with the factory sounds on my triton and groove box. What makes them worth buying? Is it that the sounds are already mixed and mastered by professional engineers? And if so, isn't it possible to engineer raw sounds of your own by way of effects prosessing?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
sounds

If you know what you are doing you can make any sound that they sell on those sample disks, but there are advantages the ones on the keyboards like the Triton etc are fine if you use the right effects and filters you can get them to sound just as good....but sample have their own sound signature if they are good acoustic samples and you have an mpc or something with a good sound processor that won't introduce noise or loss then you might be inclined to think that samples might be an advantage.....it all depends what you are trying to do.....if you want drum sounds in the mix to stand out and be noticed then maybe real samples are for you.....if you want just a basic kick and snare sound laying back in the mix you can use the keyboard sounds and be ok......

J

joblack00

is it me or does anybody feel guilty using sampling cd's like your cutting corners...it's almost like highschool football practice...you got some guys willing to work their tail off then there is some fat kid who always finishes last on each drill and you know he is not working as har as he could...well I feel like that fat kid when I use sample cd's...they are convenient s hell but I always wonder if people can tell the difference... and if I were to ever make it to the top would I be handicapped if I couldn't use them....

sometimes I also think about people who just jack an old beat and have someone spit over it...Which is cool to a certain extent...as long as you don't produce garbage but with a sampling cd atleast you have to do some arranging so it isn't all done for you...

what do yawl think????

C

Copenhagen

Sample CD's with loops are crap, we can all agree on that (I hope) but I don't know why people knock Sample CD's with single drums, single keys, single guitar etc...that's just like a sound module or a keyboard/synth. F.x. I buy sample CD's f.x. with an orchestra...choose a violin and load it into the Reason NN-XT...and it sets just like any other keybard/synth etc across my midikeyboard.

To cut it short...I'm unbelievably tired of people dissing Sample CD's when these have also evolved, just like software etc...

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by Copenhagen
Sample CD's with loops are crap, we can all agree on that (I hope) but I don't know why people knock Sample CD's with single drums, single keys, single guitar etc...that's just like a sound module or a keyboard/synth. F.x. I buy sample CD's f.x. with an orchestra...choose a violin and load it into the Reason NN-XT...and it sets just like any other keybard/synth etc across my midikeyboard.

To cut it short...I'm unbelievably tired of people dissing Sample CD's when these have also evolved, just like software etc...

Thanks for those words.

I use sample CD's sometime. I used to feel guilty, too...but no more.
Where the hell can I find a harp musician? If I could find one could afford for them to do a session at the lab? NO! So I do the next best thing.

Now I have found some loop CD's that were nice.
It was a German cat who sample loops with an Sp-12 and the joints were t-ight! If I ever remember his name I'm going to do a search for that CD. I 've gottten some good stuff from cheap CD's & loop sites. Throw 'em in Recycle! :)

Hey joeblack00, I'm that fat kid who don't bust a sweat when I used the CD's. But you know I rather ditc. LOL! Peace

C

Copenhagen

Originally posted by joeburnem
Where the hell can I find a harp musician? If I could find one could afford for them to do a session at the lab? NO! So I do the next best thing.

If you want to spend the dough, you can buy a CD with single harp sounds etc...I know Akai has made one to load into their samplers, which can be extracted if you don't own an Akai sampler.

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I download alot of samples and kits.
But in my own tracks i usually have tweaked sounds.
I like the new sounds..but i find that alot of my sounds are the same after a while.

members online