What's a GOOD first mic?

incogneeto

J.B. LEGACY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
What's a GOOD first mic????????

so, i'm starting to record vocals...i just got PRO TOOLS......so wut's a good mic to strart recording with.......a CONDENSER MIC, right????....and wut brand do i get...i wanna stay under $200??? any suggegtions??? thanks

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
What I heard was that the famous SM-58 and SM-57 are the 2 good, low cost, good quality, tough mics....

Well, I'm pretty sure others know more about it than me... so is there any truth to that?

incogneeto

J.B. LEGACY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
sYgMa said:
What I heard was that the famous SM-58 and SM-57 are the 2 good, low cost, good quality, tough mics....

isn't Condenser mic's better than dynamic mics......i think i want a good condenser mic....these r the best for vocals, right????

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Well (and someone can comment on that if I'm wrong) the thing is, condenser mics are good for singers... but in hiphop, sometimes, the MCs get a bit loud, so a dynamic mic would fit the job better. A loud singer in a condenser mic would lead to distortion.

Actually, what you should be looking for is a mic that has accuracy, presence and a good sounding coloration... you can get that with both condenser and dynamic mics, depending on the price you want to put on it...

SM-57 : 158$
SM-58 : 188$

Check infos on them over the net, you'll be surprised!!!

ill o.g.
Behringer B-1....$100
MXL 990............$70

I got the b-1. My boy got the 990. There both good. The b-1 sound isnt the greatest. But a little tweaking gets it how i want it.
Also, if you got the back for the first time album, ludacris. I hear that He recorded most of that album with the 990.

You def dont need to pay a lot to get a decent mic. But you might wanna invest in some nice gear for the mic, like a tube preamp or somethin. I dont know.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The Shure SM 57 & 58 are great mics because they're durable and rugged (someone dropped mine a while ago, a big dent on the side of the cone but it's fine now... P.S. I brought him to my shack out back by the willow tree.... nobody has seen him since) - but I've always looked at them as live performance mics.

If you're looking for a studio mic, there's some great AKG mics, check those out. Of course Neuman is a good one too.

Here:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search?c=4625

ill o.g.
I have the AT 3035. Sounds nice imo. Sometimes I have my mic volume too high and it causes a little distortion, but I keep the distortion. For some reason I like little flaws in my music here and there, it's not intentional or nothing but if it happens I might leave it. Does that make sense?

Konvict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
http://zzounds.com/item--STUC1

Cop them! This dude in my lil click bought that shit for us last month and I feel it was prolly the smartest decision we've made so far. That mic is tight man! Has a clear, silky smooth sound and it looks hella sexy as well! Cant go wrong with that mic!

members online