Whats a descent pc under 1000 dollars?

julio g.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well I decided to sale my digital recorder on e-bay and use the money to buy myself a computer to sequence record and mix on. Whats a good computer (pc) under 1000 that would be good for what I want to do? How much ram, hard drive, and processor do I need so it wont crash on me. I cant afford a mac or can I? But I herd pc's work good also. Which one of you is a pc user and which one do you use? I need to buy me one, but I'm not sure which. Please help me out, thanks...

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Ok. before you do anything know that you will need a reliable CPU, motherboard, 512-1gig of RAM, m-audio firebox for your audio interface

that's what you'll need.

Take an hour to search internet forums to see what cpu's are reviewed well, motherboards, ect... really that is if your builing your own pc... umm ok

Go to tigerdirect.com and as a reference look at the various desktop PC's they got that have the best reviews, keeping in mind that the RAM must be over 512 atleast and the cpu and motherboard are decent aswell as the manifacturer's brand. Look At The Reviews. The reviews will be your guide. Go to other websites aswell to cross reference the top 5 or so PC's you found at tigerdirect taht was within your price range.

I've been in your position before, not knowing much but needing a solution. follow those steps

p.s.
you will need to get an m-audio firebox or something else for your audio interface. any pc you buy will not have an adaquate sound interface for production. the firebox is 250.00 so look for a decent pc for 750.00. look well young skywalker

julio g.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks bro I will check out that site tonight after I make a hot track first. Know what I'm saying? But I definately want to get into the computer thing. I feel like things will be much easier and quicker. I like the fact that I will be able to see the waves of my sounds and edit faster. I cant wait to cop one. Just curiouse which computer do you use? What brand and model name?

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
you want my honesty?

getting a computer is not going to make anything easier. infact getting a computer will require you to learn a whole lot of new things slowing you down until your proficient. Each piece of equipment should be known in-an-out before you go buying other things, ESPECIALLY ON CREDIT. seeing the waves won't make editing waves any easier than the mpc window. Atleast on the mpc it's already on the mpc and won't have to be put into a program and loaded into the mpc.

spending money should be a careful stratgey.. you against the lying, stealing corporate business market. so be careful an use ya cabbage

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
You can go to Dell.com and look on ther outlet page. They have nice refurbished comps for around $600-700 that should meet your music needs. You can also get a Mac mini for about that same price. With the mac though u dont get a monitor,mouse,or keyboard so you will have to add that in the budget. But ya what Chrono said....spend your dollars carefully and wisely young padawan

julio g.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks for all ya info, I will look into it and do some more research. I just think that it be easier to work with a computer versus outboard sequencers. I know I will have to learn a whole new game, but I'm willing to. I hear alot of studio's use Pro Tools and other programs, and so I've always been curiouse to give it a try. How many of you prefer computers over hardware sequencers? I really love my mpc so I will keep that with me. But right now I feel like I can sale my recorder and buy me a computer. What do you guys like better, Analog or Digital, or both?

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
just as a note: your current recorder is digital... unless it has two big reels of tape on it...

I built my PC for less than $200. But I also had access to some cheap parts from the IT department at work. Stuff like video cards, cdroms, floppy drives and cables and shit.

Also you're going to have to budget for the software you're going to use. The major players are Cubase and Sonar. And don't forget the sound card. And the MIDI interface. Its a lot of choices out there, but you can find combo interfaces that got audio and MIDI inputs and outputs, and come with software that you can record with (like the MBox 2). And then you'll need a mic preamp, a good mic, and a good room to record in.

Then there's plugins. You will want some good software EQs and compressors and other effects.

And once you get the computer, you'll discover that there's a world of software available, and then you'll get addicted to surfin the internet to find neat little software that does this or that, and your productivity will go down the drain. LOL

Good luck!

By the way, look out for websites like dealnews.com. They go around the internet and find the lowest prices on computers and parts and shit.

Newegg.com always has nice prices too.

members online